NAD 763 - CD Playback - Digital vs. Analog Inputs

Bronze Member
Username: Mgkaplan

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 39
Today I had the opportunity to compare the sound quality of a CD (2 channel) when played through the digitial inputs vs. the analog inputs (7.1) of the NAD-T763 receiver. My DVD/CD/SACD/DVDA player is a Yamaha DVD-S2300MK2. What I found was that using the digital input resulted in smoother and warmer sound, while using the analog input resulted in more neutral, somewhat brighter and more datailed sound.

Candidly, I would expect that this variation in sound quality would result from differences in the amplifier section rather than the digital sound processor.

I welcome any comments or input regarding this phenomenon.

Thanks

Bronze Member

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 40
As a follow up, I spoke with my local dealer and learned that the digital processor in my DVD player was much more sophisticated than the processor in my receiver and that I could expect a more detailed and open sound if I bypass the receiver's processor and use the analog inputs.

This experience makes me wonder if the additional amplifier power of the NAD receiver is worth the trade off of processing capability?

I am beginning to believe that the new ARCAM may be the way to go.

I welcome your input.

Thanks

Daniel Benatar
Unregistered guest
What is the differences between the ARCAM and the NAD? Both have the ext. analog conection for the SACD and DVD-A? I have the T773 and compared it to the ARCAM, and I must say that to my opnion, I like better the NAD sound, but the featers are almost the same.

Thanks, Daniel

Bronze Member

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 41
The ARCAM is supposed to have a much better digital processor. My understanding is that the NAD processor is an off the shelf processor and does not produce as detailed or as open sound as the ARCAM. The ARCAMs processor was designed for this unit. Also, remember that the analog inputs bypass the receiver's internal processor. On the NAD, if you want to get the best sound, it is probably best to use the analog inputs - not only for DVDAs and SACDs - but also for DVDs and CDs. With the ARCAM, you need not bypass the receiver's internal digital processor for CDs and DVDs.

irousso
Unregistered guest
Could be a stupid question... but if you connect your DVD to the NAD using analog input - wouldn't that impose that you can't use DTS surround sound decoding in movies?
Itay

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 223
irousso,

You can still get DTS if the DVD player is capable of decoding DTS. Most DVD players have DTS decoders nowadays.

Michael,

I had similar results comparing the DACs of my Denon universal player and my NAD receiver. There is a substantial difference in sound quality. The Denon sounds cooler, thinner, open, and more detailed. The NAD sounds warmer, fuller, darker and at times murky. Perhaps the Arcam would get you the middle ground. I'd be interested in your impressions if you audition the Arcam.

Bronze Member

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 42
I plan on auditioning the ARCAM.

Candidly, I am disappointed in the sound quality of my NAD. My research, primarily on this message board, led me to believe that NAD was the epitome of sound quality in the $800 -$1,800 price range. And my initial tests revealed that NAD has a warmer and richer sound than Yamaha and Denon. My ears now tell me that the price at which the warm and rich quality of NADs sound comes is "loss of detail, and "sound compression." I will probably do a side by side comparison of the NAD and the ARCAM and my gut tells me that I will end up with the ARCAM.

I expect that someone will soon be getting a great deal on a perfecly functioning and slightly used NAD T763.

Silver Member

Post Number: 224
I can't say I'm disappointed in my NAD, although I was surprised by its strengths and weaknesses. I thought it would be great for music and just okay for movies, but I find the opposite to be true. The NAD is mainly dedicated to home theater. I still have a separate stereo system for listening to 2-channel music. In terms of music I only use the NAD for SACD and DVD-A played through the Denon player. The sound of high-res discs is fabulous with the Denon doing the processing and the NAD providing the power.

Bronze Member

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 44
I am interested in advertising my NAD T763 for sale. Are there any boards on the web that are particularyly good for the listing and sale of audio equipment?

Bronze Member
Username: Oknessad

Post Number: 57
How much are you looking for? just curious...

Silver Member

Post Number: 226
Michael,

For selling a/v gear, try www.audiogon.com and www.videogon.com and, of course, ebay.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us