Better Wire, 16 awg, and 14awg the BESTEST? Speaker Mounts?

Username: Bozobyte

Where Micky mouse lives, CA Good Ol U.S....

Post Number: 4
Hiyas,
I have purchased the new Yamaha RX-V665 7.2 AVR . 90wx7 / 630w AVR. This will be a 6.1 channel set up.

So 14 awg is the way to go go GO?
HSU sound told me usually it's 16ga for under 25' run, and 14ga,for 25' and over, but just told me to run it all with the 14ga,if the extra price is not much.

Thank you,
This is not rocket science, I don't want to blow the speaker drivers by using the wrong gauge wire, I wish then NOT to look so obtrusive going up the corners or along the baseboards, So i will not be using 8,10,or12 awg wire.

I think I'm going with the Monoprice Enhanced Loud Oxygen-free copper 14 awg.For the 150' linear total footage, it's $10.76 more for the 14ga, (BEST) than the 16ga (better) for a 100',and 50' spool.

On the other hand, these small speakers are NOT JBL, Mirage, or Definitive, floor-standers, or even bookshelves, they are satellites... they are rated as follows: 80hz-20khz / 90db Sensitivity,1 watt,1 meter / 8ohm /10-125 watt recommended amp power / less than 2 lb speakers.

Here are the actual run lengths. I have to go along the baseboards, up the corners, and around two doorjambs to get to a few speakers.

Front left= 14' / front right=18' / rear surround left=26' / rear-center=31' / and the rear surround right=41'

The only thing I found to anchor this wire around door jambs and baseboards are 1/4" cable clips.

P.S. Has anyone purchased the speaker mounts at Monoprice #3012 (2prs)and are they cheap,and do they pivot and rotate? The live chat dude sounded like he was not sure. I need something to come for the corners and slant down,not straight ahead..it would totally miss me sitting in the center of the room. I've been to Fry's and saw the vantage Point mounts, but I'm not going to pay $40.00 a pair.
Thank you!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13471

"So 14 awg is the way to go go GO?"

No, no, no!

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2378
Ha ha. Why not Jan?

You've got some serious lengths there Jim. For one thing, I'd make sure the runs for the rear surrounds and back surround are the same length, and that the fronts are the same length.

I run 10 AWG on my system, but I'm a loon.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2115
David, the rear and back surrounds don't need to have the same length wire as speaker delay and distance is set up in the receiver, however, naturally each speaker pair should have the same length wire.

16 or 18 guage would suffice for those runs imo.

I have fairly thick guage on my main speakers, not so much because they are thick, but because they are good.

Post Number: 5
David, you said,"I'd make sure the runs for the rear surrounds and back surround are the same length, and that the fronts are the same length."

Is the reason because you want to balance the resistance?
other peeps said it doesn't matter,but if you are only talking about the fronts, then I can live with that.
So if my left front is about 14',and the right one around the door jamb and up the ceiling is about 18', that means I have to cut both L&R runs 18'? Interesting.

Post Number: 7
So, you see my confusion here...is this basically a [B]BALANCE OF RESISTANCE[/B] ISSUE HERE?

Who's right? What would happen if i cut to length each speaker run from the AVR to each speaker? This is a 6.1 set up. Two fronts,two rears,one center-rear,one center,and one sub. 12x12 room=thatsa lotsa excess wire!!!!

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2119
Jim, I've used different lengths for center, mains and surrounds for years. Believe me, there is no ill effect. It's okay - have the same lengths for your mains, use what is needed for your surrounds, then for your rear surrounds and center. They don't need to be all the same length. Just keep the same length for each pair. Any difference in capacitance is negligable in such a system. I'm no expert in these matters, but I don't think you should fret about it.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2120
Jim, I've used different lengths for center, mains and surrounds for years. Believe me, there is no ill effect. It's okay - have the same lengths for your mains, use what is needed for your surrounds, then for your rear surrounds and center. They don't need to be all the same length. Just keep the same length for each pair. Any difference in capacitance is negligable in such a system. I'm no expert in these matters, but I don't think you should fret about it.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2380
Good point about the delay and the receiver, MR. At the very least I'd make sure the lengths for the 2 fronts should be the same.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13472

You're concerning yourself with nothing. You won't hear the difference between 14 & 16 AWG at the lengths you'll run. You won't hear the difference in a few feet of cable length on your main speakers with the HT type system you have - but it's best to keep it the same on both sides for the fronts.

Use the cable that is the easiest to work with and, if you're going in wall or in an attic, the cable that meets fire codes. In the set up you are working with the difference in cable guage is not your biggest concern.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/552381.html

Post Number: 8
Hello M.R.,
What's a little confusing to me is your following statement(s)...
"The rear and back surrounds don't need to have the same length wire as speaker delay and distance is set up in the receiver, however, naturally each speaker pair should have the same length wire."

"They don't need to be all the same length. Just keep the same length for each pair."

First you say they don't all have to be the same length,then you said say "just keep the same length for each pair"...but they are all different runs.

I will either buy another satellite to get 7.1, or just use the 6.1., so obviously, each of my speakers in all four corner locations, and one rear-channel center will be at different lengths.

Did you mean to cut the rear-right speaker (26') wire run the same as my rear-left (41') wire run?

But we all can agree to at least cut the two main fronts the same length. Front left 14' and the longer front right 18'.

Post Number: 9
I bought the HSU Sound " VT-12 Performance II Ventriloquist" speaker package which uses an unconventional hookup method. Two sets of speaker wire is run from the front (left/right) satellite speakers to the front center channel, and then three sets of wire is run from the front center channel to the receiver. This allows one to make use of the "Ventriloquist" effect, where the front center contributes to upper bass/lower midrange frequencies for the left/right mains.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2126
Yes, I'd keep the right rear speaker length the same as the left - keep any pair (fronts, rears, sides) the same, but fronts can differ from the rears as can sides differ - see what I mean?

Post Number: 10
Ok, Thanks M.R. :-)

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11992
jim, I would like to see what you think of your new setup.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Okie dokie...as soon as I do the setup, I will post back.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us