Monitor Audio RS6 vs. RS8

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 698
A recent opportunity to pick up a pair of MA RS8's caught my attention. I haven't hear the RS8's but wanted to know how they would run against the RS6 and "price ignored", which is the better speaker with a Bryston 3B-ST.

I did find this thread, and Nick's impressions were that he likes the RS6. Just looking for any more input. Thanks.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/511685.html#POST1608105

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11829
If the RS 8's do anything appreciably better than the 6"s and dont cost more than 1200 as new, then fine.

I almost bought 6's instead of the Totems, for different reasons.

I saw an ad for 6's for 950 last week in print, don't remember where. maybe Montreal.

Hard to beat these speakers.

I had the old 8's (from Mike) and didnt give them half a chance.

I am kicking myself badly.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2407
That a boy George. You know how I feel already. It really comes down to how you feel bass should sound. Thats really the only clear difference between the two speakers. Although the RS6's hit as low as any mid sized tower I have personally ever heard. I liked the 6's. The bass was tighter and faster sounding to my ears. I don't understand the price difference between the two personally. I think Dave feels roughly the same. Cheers.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11834
George, for the price I saw in the ad you can get either.
I would try the 8's at a closeout price, the 6's are plentiful and not going anywhere if you want to trade.

Silver Member

Post Number: 701
How about RS8's for $1000 CDN about 1 yr old but in mint condition...local? Possibly could squeeze for $900. Still haven't shared my idea with the wife. Maybe it's not the time but I'd like to give it some thinking...and it most likely needs to be quick.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11836
thats cheap. Nice speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2409
wow. George I think I saw that add on CAM? They are beautiful. Same color as mine and Dave's. RS8's for a grand is a steal.

FWIW I have talked to many that prefer the 8's over the 6's, and vise versa. I don't think you can go wrong with either, especially at that price. wowsers. I say buy em.lol ( I like spending your money, this is fun)

Silver Member

Post Number: 702
Yeah Nick, I'd pull the trigger already if I didn't have to consider my wife's feelings. They are in the Walnut, I thought Dave's and yours were in the Rosemah? I agree, they are beautiful, if a bit bold but I like them that way...Bold and Beautiful.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2410
These Dave: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/120638-monitor_audio_rs8/

Thats the color we have. The seller calls them walnut when in fact those speakers are the Rosemah finish.lol. Perhaps the seller should be told that. hmmmmm. Perhaps I am wrong...Either way thats the color I have.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/120629-monitor_audio_rs6_speakers/

I dont think this is a great deal considering my dealer gave me the RS6's 1000 taxes in NEW. POW!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2411
It also appears that the RS6 guy would have purchased those speakers from my dealer as well.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2301
I've been working too hard. I totally missed this thread.

I love my RS6's (as you all know), but for grand I'd take the 8's. You really can't beat that. Looks like they sold already (well, pending sale).

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2302
Looks like the 6's are still for sale. They appear to be the Rosenut finish (same as Nick's and mine). The Rosenut (in my opinion) is nicer than the walnut.

Buy them George.. do it do it do it! lol.

He'll even deliver them to you. How can you go wrong?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2303
You got a really good deal on your RS6's Nick. The going rate for them here in Ottawa is 1500, then when you figure in taxes, etc...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2412
I did. I praise my dealer for the deal still. To think they were new sealed in a box, no floor model or anything.

Huh nah George Huh nah kid. Buy those RS6's.lol

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2304
A couple of things to take into account if you're gonna make an offer:

1 Does he have the original boxes and packing materials?

No - knock 50 bucks off the price (I always keep my boxes, it increases the resale value)

2 That scuff on the front is ugly. Knock another 50 off.

Silver Member

Post Number: 703
No Dave the RS8's are in perfect condition with original boxes and no scuff's. As usual, I may have missed out. Just too much going on in my life. Going to look at a house in Ajax tonight...no time to go an pick up speakers. I've sent him a note but I think they're gone. Oh well, just not my time.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2305
Ah well, wasn't meant to be then. Lots of deals out there, this one just didn't have "George" written on them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us