RS6 vs RS8

Silver Member
Username: Afj

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 114
have the opportunity to sell my jbls L890s and am looking to buy the ma silvers. am not sure between the rs6 and the rs8. the dealer doesnt stock the rs8 so cant listen to them. apart from being louder is there any other significant difference. i guess it might boil down to room size. right now im in a 60sq mt room. might move though into something bigger. will be using the nadc272 to power it

am also looking to buy a new cdp. is the nad c542 significantly better than the nad c525bee

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1800
Francis- IMO the c542, noticeably sounds better. It is a nice CDP for the money. I auditioned the RS6's vs the RS8's side by side in a A/B test when I bought the 6's. Although the RS8's would go a bit lower, I felt the bass was a wee bit bloated compared to the RS6's. The RS6's, to me, had tighter bass, therefore seeming faster and more accurate. I was surprised by this, until my dealer told me that most people do like the 6's better. Especially for the money.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1371
I liked the 6's better too. I liked 'em so much, I bought them.

Silver Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 115
i guess its the rs6 then. i definitely do like a tighter bass. and the c542, esp since i'll have the saving on the ma. the c272 sounds warm on the jbls. was it the same with the ma nick - i remember you had the same set up.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1801
Yup, I personally really enjoy the MA/Nad combo. You will absolutely love the MA's Francis.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1802
Give them a good 80 hours break in period. Out of the box, they sound a wee bit Clinical, but after break in they are a whole other ball game.

Silver Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 116
thanks nick. ordering them today. will leave them on over a long weekend and break them in. lol. will let you know how it sounds.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1810
Awesome Francis. Keep us posted.

Silver Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 118
just got the rs6's. my first reaction was that they were SMALL compared to the jbls. connected them in. though only slightly, the ma's were better in every respect. the bass was slightly tighter, the mids and highs came through more clearly (not that the jbls were muddy by any standard), the presentation was more forward and the sound separation was better. in saying that the jbls were close behind. really close. considering the price difference (you can get the jbls for about 750 dollars in usa) and the power output (250w rms), the jbls are right up there.

Silver Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 119
i couldnt find any switch for different ohm settings. i assumed that the amp would select it automatically. i looked around in the manual and it didnt say anything about ohm settings. just connect the speaker and play. is that right?

also with the amp being 150w and the speakers 120w, what is the max level i can play them at

Gold Member

Post Number: 1837
Francis- Give the MA's a good 80 hours of playing time, and we will see if the JBL's are still close. The MA's are night and day, better sounding after break in. Glad to hear you are enjoying them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1838
I used the C272 on the MA RS6's for the first few weeks I had them. Good results, and you can crank them up. The NAD is just plug and play, no switch for Ohm's. I usually had the NAD's protection switch turned off, but if your worried about over driving the speakers ( I wouldnt be If I were you) then leave the switch on.

Silver Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 120
well if they open up it'd be even better.

does the nads protection switch (im assuming you mean the soft clipping switch) affect the sound quality / cut in before the speakers reach their peak when on

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7726
The soft clipping switch does indeed affect sound quality...leave it off.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10748
fj, the wattage printed on a speaker is not useful in any way. Ignore this useless piece of misinformation.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1839
on Critical listening, yes it does affect the sound quality as Art stated, this is why I have always left mine off. Your ears will bleed Francis before you hurt those speakers. Just have fun.

Silver Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 121
thanks guys. waiting for the ma's to open up. wasn't too happy with the bass initially. i changed the speaker wire around from the upper connectors to the lower ones. it immediately improved it. i then did away with the brass interconnects and used speaker wire. it made quite a bit of difference. though i've never been too happy with the nad's bass. its always been distant.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1841
Yeah Francis, get rid of those brass jumpers man and just fully Bi-Wire those puppies. It makes a big difference IMO. The bass, I find, on the RS6's is incredible. Make sure you have at least 3-4 feet distance from the back wall.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1410
Yup, the bass on the 6's is quite impressive. The lack of bass might be the NAD's fault. I too have mine about 3 ft from the back wall.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10763
I have never known NAD to lack bass...

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1942
Nor have I, in regards to the NAD.

I think the your room plays a huge role in this matter.

The RS6 are incredibly detailed, very rich, and fast, bass leans towards thinnish as compared to the RS8, but is very well integrated, IMHO. They have a near identical sound, IMHO, to my bargain basement Infintiy Primus P362. The P362s have benefited (but not hugely) from the addition of a subwoofer (PS210), where their sound alone was best suited to acoustic strings & voices, jazz & blues, now I can confidently throw anything at them, including 2.1 HT, and the set-up comes through like a champ.

Given the similarities between the two, again IMHO, perhaps this might provide you with an option.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1743
Christopher you should hear the bass of the Classia C336,yesterday they went toe toe with the Strata Mini.They nearly matched their powered subs,but they easily bested them in timing and midbass slam,plus the lower bass was tighter.Congrats to everyone who has RS6's 1 of my favorite speakers,they are extremely fun.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1843
I agree Tawaun, they are a lot of fun. I had the big ol Paradigm Studio Monitors before them which are suppose to go really low. I feel the RS6's, although on specs don't go as low, sound like they actually go lower.

Chris- Did you just say that the RS6's sound 'almost identical' to that of the Infinity Primus P362's? Although the Infinity speaker is a great sounding speaker in its own regard, the two speakers, from my experience with them, are totally different in sound.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1944
That's good to know T, I haven't heard a word about the Classia Series. I really don't care too much for their look, perhaps they can grow on me.

I think it's that C.M.M.D. Infinity (and Revel) uses, it seems to keep bass unusually tight.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1945
Nick, that's what I said. While I did not A/B the two, my immediate impression upon listening to the P362 was that they sounded very similar to the RS6. I described my impressions of the RS6 above; how do you find the P362 "totally different"? The RS6 might play a tad deeper that the P362 from my recollection.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1844
I felt the RS6's detail and smoothness in the treble were superior. The speed and musicality of the RS6's I fell in love with right away. Midrange detail is the strong point of the RS6's, as there is tons of it. My dealer was giving the Infinities away for 250, and I feel if he felt I was going to get as much musical enjoyment out of them on my Bryston's, he would have sold me them instead and saved me a lot of money.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1845
I am not knocking the PS362's, I think they are a great great bargain, and sound good to boot. Just in my experience, with my two little ears, the RS6's were definitely superior. Especially if put on higher end electronics.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7754
Yep Nick I'm absolutely sure that saving you money was paramount on the mind of your dealer...lol!!!

Sorry Nick...I had to...I'm sure you have a great dealer I just couldn't resist.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10766
Take a freebie when ya can Art.
Goodness knows you havn't had a lot of freebies lately...

cheers tonight

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7755
Tonight....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1947
Perhaps it's a matter of electronics? If you A/B'd them, then I'll presume your impressions are more on target, but I still recall more similarities than differences, the range and overall presentation felt very close.

The fact that the RS6 cost ruffly $750/pair more than what I paid for the P362 surely might have factored into my psyche.

That being said, and all things being equal, given the choice, I'd opt for the RS6, the fit & finish is infinitely better, perhaps the very best in the industry, and they will surely retain their value longer than the P362 (Not that the P362 have much value to begin with).

Anyway, it just wouldn't seem right to pair an entry-level speaker like the P362 with the likes of your Bryston & Rega.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1744
It is very suprising how good the P362 is for the money,they do have some similarties to the RS6,but they arent really close.For both companies its a testament to using the same materials in all the drivers,its Coherency and wholeness to the sound that wonerfully linear.A better match up for the RS6 would be the discontinued Beta 40 & 50,and at their closeout prices,they are a rediculous deal,with damn good build quality with the real C.M.M.D.drivers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1745
Chris I thought the same thing,but when they showed up a week and a half ago and I unpacked them,it became a lovefest right then.The build quality and the cabinet design is pretty amazing they can battle the RS's or even the Gold series in build quality.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1846
The Beta series is a true budget killer indeed. Gotta love them.

Art- Lucky for me, is that my dealer and workers have been lifetime family friends of me, and my family. He doesn't mess me around. If my dealer were to make me pay the asking price of the stuff I have purchased from him in the last 4 years including car audio stuff I would have paid about 3 grand more. lol Gotta love your own friendly dealer. lol Funny none the less though. Cheers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1948
The Betas are disappearing fast.

I was all geared up for a pair of 50s, but then these P362 came along, and I couldn't pass on the deal.

It's nice to see that the Classia series has real wood veneer vs. the vinyl of the Beta series.

Perhaps I need to give the RS6 another listen to now that I've lived with the P362 a while?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1848
Give'm another shot Chris, everyone's ears are different. I would be pumped to hear what you think. Cheers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1748
The Classia's have different everything than the Beta's everything inside and out is much higher quality,the build and the sound is very similar to the Revel Performa.I talked to 1 of the Infinity Techs he said the Classia's is not the replacement for the Beta,but a new highend design,to compete at a much higher price.From what I can hear they dont sound like no $2k speaker.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1949
...or even a $1K speaker pair I bet: http://cgi.ebay.com/INFINITY-CLASSIA-C336-CHERRY-FLOORSTANDING-PAIR-NEW-949_W0QQ itemZ160278596812QQihZ006QQcategoryZ3276QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member

Post Number: 1950
The Beta 50 used those big 8" drivers, do the C336, with it's 6.5" drivers, play as big to your ear T?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1851
Now were talking.lol Those Classia's you posted Christopher look damn impressive.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1951
T, what are the side panels of the Classia made of? They look like plastic?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1749
So you found that deal huhh...Chris its not plastic,it feels like polymer,its very well crafted the cabinets are very dead even on bombastic bass notes.under $1k its the best deal in speakers right now,I was smilling from ear to ear when I was placing my order.Its a more refined bass than the Beta's with real midbass punch,yeah they go lower than the Beta 50 the bass is tighhhhhht...I have the cherry finish,the cherry panels arent veneer their real polished hardwood.A friend of mine that work's at my local Revel dealer was raving about them,he said he was all set to buy the F52's until the Classia came out,he said he didnt believe Infinity when they said they were gonna come out with the agressive pricing,so for him it was ultra cheap,they have been out for a year while the Beta series was still in production,Infinity is just now marketing them now,TAD previewed them in the July/August edition, so a review is coming in the next few months.My friend that sells Revel's that bought them a year ago said "you know its a shame since its Ininity and priced under $2k most people will never believe how good these are" and damn was he right,I dont know how long you can get that price,they are the only ones that have them for that price every where else is retail price $1798,surely after some national publicity they will sell for retail you wont see them in Circuit City or places like that.

Bronze Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 84
So Tawaun, in your opinion, having heard both, the Classia would beat out MA RS6 from what I've heard from you? Could the equipment choice change this? How would you compare the sound of the two and what would the strengths of each be? I'm very interested in the imaging and soundstaging comparison. I'd really like if you could describe one vs. the other on: range, clarity and tranparancy, musicality, soundstaging and imaging. Thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1750
Well,George the Classia's play more like the Gold 60's,not to take away anything from RS6,but in all fairness the Classia C336 retails for $1798 nearly double the retail price of the RS6's and its coming from the richest,biggest most advanced audio franchise on earth,that's designed to kill much more expenive speakers.To the RS6's credit they have amazing dynamics that any speaker at any price would be extatic to have,and they have really good soundstaging,but the C336's soundstage has real life size people and instruments within a bigger space with real 3-d volume.Better electronics would only make the gap wider,the Classia C336 is a really really serious midprice contender,although the RS6 is the best all-around speaker at their price,the C336 is in a different league altogether.And at the price that CM just posted on ebay is a must must buy,sorry dont wanna offend anyone about the RS6,but the difference is substancial,but I still love the RS6 and wish i had room for them in another room,I would have a pair.}

Gold Member

Post Number: 1952
http://manuals.harman.com/INF/HOM/Product%20Information/sv09.Infinity.pdf

Gold Member

Post Number: 1953
T, How are you amping them? What's your source?

Bronze Member
Username: Patrickbateman

MA

Post Number: 93
Has anyone heard the GS10's? How would they compare to the RS6's?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1954
How about the Platinum Series, anybody hear that?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1863
GS10's are nice. Havnt A/B'd them against the RS6's. On paper, they should be better.

Chris- I have heard the Platinum series on a pair of 3bsst Brystons mono blocked and almost had to go wipe the crap out of my pants. Probably the top 3 speakers I have personally ever heard.

Bronze Member

MA

Post Number: 94
I have an opportunity to pick up a new pair of the GS10's at a good price, however I wont be able to return them. I am making a trip to the local dealer soon to hear them and the RS6.
I still really enjoy my Era D5's, must be going through change-itis

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10772
PB, you know better than to bye without trying them out.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1421
I know what you mean Nick. I heard the Platinums last year through an all Bryston rig.

Insane.

Not really sure if the Gold series is worth the extra cost over the RS. I really, really like my RS6's.

Bronze Member

MA

Post Number: 95
Oh I am trying them out, I just cant get them in my house first.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1752
Chris im running a Bada Purer 3.8SE intergrated amp it runs pure Class A up to 80 watts into 8ohms and 138 watts into class A/B and it has a tubed pre.A Bada HD-23 CDP its also tubed,and im running all Xindak cables and im about to run the setup with all balanced connections just wanted to let it burn in for a while,I've only had it a week.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1955
Can't say I'm familiar with any of it, but I trust it's all very nice.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1753
Its all from China the intergrated amp weighs 85lbs and the the CDP weighs 35lbs,their both monsters,and quite beautiful to look at to.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1956
I'm perusing their websites as I type. They both look to build some BIG stuff. I might have stumbled across their websites in the past. I hope you love them, shipping can't be cheap for those monsters.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1957
These are them, right?

Upload

Dainty.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1756
Thats not the HD-23 CDP its a top loader,but yeah thats my big monster,I hope that rack is sturdy enough,it probably collasped after the photo was taken.lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1757
And yes shipping wasnt cheap,it was about $650 for the amp,cdp,and cables, but it was waaaayyyy worth it's deffinetly in the big leagues.

Bronze Member

MA

Post Number: 99
Tawaun, you have heard the Era D5's right, how do you think they hold up with the MA RS6 and GS10?

Bronze Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 92
Wicked looking integrated Tawaun. This is the CDP, I guess:

Wouldn't I like to be a fly in your listening room. With those Classia's you're kickin, ain't ya.Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1760
Yep,George that a be it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1761
Patrick,they will do well,but they cant match their dynamic energy,detail levels will be close between them and the RS6,but they wont be as detailed as the GR10.On the plus side I love the D5's big speaker midbass and huge soundstage,its gonna come down to prefference,but dynamics and efficiency puts the ball in both of the MA's court.

Silver Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 122
the ma's have opened up nicely. even though its about 10-15 hours or so. the music is so much fuller now and it presents itself so much better. the bass is upfront and more in proportion with the rest of the music (wasnt enjoying it without that). they're amazing speakers. another plus is that on the jbls i always had to play it at a higher volume to start hearing (and feeling) the sounds - on the rs6 even at a low volume its still dynamic. not that i complain about the volume being too high but the wife does. im lovin it

Gold Member

Post Number: 1959
T, How did you come to the conclusion to buy this gear? That's a nice chunk of change to plunk down without ever hearing it? Can you point me to a review?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1762
Chris Affordable Audio,reviewed the HD-22 CPD,it was a impressive review.I've actually had lot of experiance with Chinese gear,so I've known about Bada gear for about 5 years it is very sought out in Asia,I've had Jungson speakers,amp,and SACD player before,and Aurum Cantus speakers,and it was very good.1 dealers I knew in Cinncinati was selling Chinese gear,I was selling audio gear to but chinese gear always peaked my intrest.But here's where it gets good,I've always been a junkie for Class A amplafication and tube preamps,and a dealer who was studing chinese gear like I was,he was a cool guy to, had just got 2 class A intergratedamps in the Jungson 80 watt Pure class A amp and yep you guessed it the old Bada Purer 3.8H,the Jungson was very good,but the Purer crushed it and a Mark Levinston amp I was amazed but the guy only ordered 1 because he didnt have good communication with Bada and they were real selective about what they wanted to let him carry their top of the line amp was not 1 of them.They were not ready to grace the states with their presence yet so his better communication with Aurum Cantus,Jungson,and Mind Da was what he went with as we all know of these 3 were eager to get into the american market and all have enjoyed very good praise.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us