Heybrook,wharfedale,def tec ,cadence,mission or jbl n38

eddy
please help me in selecting a speaker for my small listening room for audio only.which of the following are the best and why?
wharfedale pi-30
heybrook HB3
jbl northridge n38
mission m73
cadence arita
definitive technology studio monitor 350
i have to decide among these for certain reasons.
thanks

Beau
can only speak from experience with the definitive tech studio 350's. They are wonderful and image as well as any bookshelf I have heard except maybe for the $3500 Harbeth. The passive side firing woofer takes you down to a frequency level many floorstanders would like to be. Very efficient and will play loud if you choose. I have the cherry tops, the black will show too many finger prints. You will not be dissappointed

Hawk
eddy:

If it were me, I would get the Heybrooks. I have experienced most of these speakers and they are the best for an audio application. They have a wonderful image and you can listen to them all day without getting fatigued. With good electronics, they have a very deep soundstage, too--what I used to hear described as "texture."

The Def Techs do image well, but they do not provide a deep soundstage--in fact I think is is rather flat. I think the Def Techs are much better suited to HT only than to audio only applications.

The JBLs are just not a very detailed speaker and I would not use them in an audio only system. The Wharfdales are pretty good for audio, but pale in comparison to the Heybrooks or the Missions for audio clarity and detail.

The Missions would be my second choice (close call). They are detailed and dynamic, more dynamic than they Heybrooks, but not quite as sweet sounding. For an audio only system, I lean toward the Heybrooks if everything else is equal, but I would be very satisfied with the Missions, as well.

I have not heard the Cadence, so I cannot give you an opinion on them.

Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us