Better sub Wiring?

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 389
Most people recommend wiring a sub using the RCAs. I do this myself, using a nice stereo pair from some extra preouts on my integrated.
The question is, however,
Could I get as good or better results running a pair of speaker wires to the speaker inputs and NOT using the outputs from the sub to the main speakers?
I would still run the 'mains' full range and use the subs x-over, but save the preouts for some other use....maybe some future HT use, or another, remote amp?

Would there be any advantage to changing to the speaker wiring. Since the sub has such hi input impedence, I suspect I could use 16 or 18 ga. or even smaller for the 8 or 10 foot run (max) required.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11312
Thats how I am forced to run mine, Leo, and it works fine. The option for me is to split the balanced cables and feed the sub, but it aint worth my time.

You would have to try it, fortunately, thats easy to do.

Agreed on not using the sub out for the mains, I dont want some crappy sub in my electronics.

Cheers!

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1844
Does this not force you to use significantly more speaker wire? Would this in itself not be detrimental?

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 390
I don't know if the extra wire loses you anything. It's for 60 or 80hz max. after all, so good HF performance is moot. I might even DIY.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1846
I try to keep my speaker cables from my Bryston Powerpacs (in fact, the PPs were designed to be mounted directly on the back of the speaker) as short as possible. My dealer explained to me that the shorter the cable, the higher the damping factor of the amplifiers. Not sure if this is just snake oil.

I'm not about to drill holes in my Totems and hang monoblocks from them, though.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 449
Hey Dave, you ever heard of industrial adhesive?

LOL

No really. Shorter speaker wire means longer IC. Though I would think that a high quality XLR would be better for a run than speaker cable but that really depends on the quality of the XLR cable vs. the speaker cable.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1848
I was thinking duct tape George. Maybe I can find some nice mahogany finish duct tape?

Seriously though, if I ever when the short speaker cable route, I'd run XLR's to the amps instead of single-ended RCAs.

Speaking of that, I was in speaker to my dealer the other day about cables and asking him what he thought about switching from RCAs to XLRs and he said that unless I was getting system noise, or running really large lengths, I'd probably see no benefit switching to XLRs.

I'm happy with my BJs, and they look nice.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us