Integrated Amp Suggestions

Username: Hifi_newbie

Post Number: 4
Hello Everyone,

I need your thoughts with some amp suggestions. I'm building a new main system and I'm planning to change my amp later this week. I've decided to remove my HT set-up and I'm converting it into a pure audio system.

My current set-up:

Amp: Onkyo TX-SR605
Spkr: Monitor Audio RS6
CDP: Cambridge Audio 640c V2
Cables used: XLO htsc 12, Ecosse the composer

After going through this forum, the NAD 352 /NAD 355(not sure if it's worth the extra £ though) and the Cambridge Audio 640a V2 are the ones that come to mind.

What would be the best amp for this system of mine? Will these amps give a big improvement to the sound of my system, as compared to using the Onkyo TX-SR605?

My budget is around £500. I listen to all kinds of music but mostly Jazz, Rock and Dance music. I might add a turntable in the future (Rega P3) but still contemplating the thought.

Any other suggestions to improve my system will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2845
The Cambride and NAD integrateds are both very good and worth their money in most people's minds; mine included. Which one is better is more preference than anything else.

You have a Cambridge CD player, so the natural choice from a synergy standpoint is a Cambridge integrated. Not that the NAD won't sound better to your ears. You should audition both with a Cambridge CD player and your speakers if at all possible.

While no one can tell you what you will or won't hear and if it is or isn't worth the money, but by all accounts they should both be significantly better and worth the money if you're listening attentively to music. If it strictly for background music, they may not be worth your time.

Username: Hifi_newbie

Post Number: 5
Thank you for the reply stu. I dont think i can demo the 2 amps at the same time in my area, but i will definitely demo them both. Any personal preference from the 2? Which in your opinion you would like more?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2847
I haven't heard the NAD 355, but the 352 was one of my favorite amps of all time from a dollar for dollar perspective.

Your speakers should be equally good with either amp.

If I had a Cambridge CD player, I'd buy a Cambridge integrated over an NAD. If I had neither and was starting from scratch, I'd buy an NAD integrated an CD player just as I did in the past. That doesn't mean I wouldn't have been happy with a Cambridge set up.

They have a different presentation. They should get along fine with each other. But when their's synergy, the sum is greater than the parts.

IMO, a full Cambridge system will out-perform the NAD/Cambridge combo, even if the 352 is a better integrated.

Just my opinion and what I like. I have no idea what you like, and it may be vary different.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3030
Tony,

At that kind of money, here are a couple of contenders:

Rega Brio £348 - no remote control, but pacey and enjoyable

Arcam's new FMJ A28 (£450) - just come out. I had a brief blast this morning and it sounded pretty good, better than expected.

Creek make good sounding amps, they have one in your price range.

Cambridge Audio is worth a look too of course.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2855
How did I mistake 500 GBP for $500 USD? There are far better amps, as Frank mentions in your price range. Dollar for dollar, the NAD and Cambridge may be very good, but they can't outright compete very well with Rega, Creek, Arcam, etc.

Silver Member
Username: Cornelius

Post Number: 153
Cyrus 6vs2 runs around 600, a little over budget, but if you can demo one, they're really nice sounding amps...

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7045
I have to agree that the Brio is a heck of an amp and I'm hearing pretty good things about the Creek Evo as well...Arcam makes great products just not much to my taste at this point (who knows about next year or the year after).

Bronze Member
Username: Jmsoave

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 94
tony, how big is the room that this system will be in?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3035
Art, I was quite surprised by this new A28 from Arcam. If it turns out to be as good with some other speakers than the ones we had on it, then it'll be a regular giant killer.

Bronze Member

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 95
...I asked how big the room is because I have the 640A with the Silver RS6 in a very big room with high ceilings, and although I LOVE the sound, there are times when the amp runs really warm (although no clipping), and often I find myself turning the volume knob well past 12 o'clock. In other words, I feel that the amp is struggling at times to push the speakers to fill the room with the sound level that I want. Granted, I like to listen to stuff pretty loud. But I've heard the same complaint from another poster in this forum.

So at this point I'm pondering an upgrade to a CA 740A or 840A, or perhaps even a switch to a different brand in the same class, in the hopes that it would drive the speakers with a little more ease...I'm definitely eager to hear some more reviews of the Arcam A28.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7079
That Arcam A28 sounds interesting.

Bronze Member

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 96
Anyone know the US price of the A28?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7082
Looks to be around $1500...where I would buy a Naim instead...that's just me.

Bronze Member

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 97
Yup, I just called a dealer and he quoted me $1599. As intrigued as I am, I think I'd rather pick up a CA 840A on Audiogon for half that.

Bronze Member

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 98
Or yes, Art, perhaps even a Nait 5i. But I don't like the number of inputs (only 4), and my cd, dvd and phono are Cambridge...

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 257
If you're in the mood for Audiogon,
a MF A-5 or Krell 400 may be doable.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7094
Those Krell's are very often for sale on Agon...folks don't seem to hang onto them...makes me wonder about their long term listenability. I've listened to them for short bursts but never over a period of hours.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 258
I listened to the Krell last year, driving some MG3.6 maggies. Very nice.
Problem for me was it ran HOT. I didn't torture the unit, but even after 1/2 hour of medium-loud listening, you couldn't put your hands over the PS.

Personally, this kind of heat HAS to be bad for reliability. My location for components is not even close to well ventilated enough. It'd COOK.

Bronze Member

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 99
That's exactly the problem I'm having with my CA 640A. So what I'm looking for isn't necessarily more power, just the ability to push my speakers at a good level for an extended period without me worrying about the temperature. I actually have pretty good ventilation (it' sitting in a Salamander Archetype rack, so it's open on 3 sides), and my house is usually very cool (I live in the mountains). But still, it gets hot, and I suspect it's partly because I'm sometimes turning past 12 o'clock on the volume knob for moderate listening (depends on the source).

I had an earlier thread back when I had the 640A v1...that amp would clip and shut off all the time. I even put an external fan on the amp to cool it. The v2 is better, but still not where I want to be.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7098
Neither my Creek nor my Rega get hot at all. I now have my Rega in what I think of a as not ideal situation, the Apollo is stacked on top of it with only a Vibrapod to separate them...no problems at all...heck I haven't even noticed any degradation in sound. I really like both of my amps. The almost 10 year old Creek 4330 drives my Rega's to whatever volume I wan't without getting warm (let alone hot).

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 259
Amps vary in design.
The Krell I auditioned wouldn't pass the Stereophile 1/3power for 60minute test without getting hot enough to cook on.
This wouldn't normally be a deal breaker since doing this to an amp in anything but test conditions is unusual to say the least. The cure would be a bigtime increase in heatsink mass and an amp you'd need a forklift to move. I don't know if the Krell is pure 'A' or 'A-B'.
'A' is very inefficient, 'A-B' up to 55% or so with the rest turning into HEAT.

Class 'd' amps can be up to 90% efficient at full power. My PS Audio runs cool no matter what, even into fairly low impedence speakers of Very low sensitivity. Kind of worst case.

Short of equipment or habit changes I don't know how to improve your situation.
3db greater sensitivity of your speakers, for example is like 2x more amp power.

In another thread, Jan recommends a T-amp which not only sounds great but will run easily off a 'wall wart' into higher than average sensitivity speakers. Full-tilt it works out to maybe a dozen watts

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 674
I never really took to my Cambridge Audio 540a. I tried to like it but the clipping thing I'll admit was annoying and the sound was clinical and bright with all speakers I tried with it. Like you Joe, I noticed that thing runs HOT! Scorching hot!

Leo, the t-amp I heard was boring and unmusical! Therefore I think it would be a poor recommendation!

Tony, I also own some monitor audio's but the br2 bookshelves and I can say DO NOT go with cambridge audio 640a! If I had £500 to spend I'd be a very happy man.

I demo'd a number of amplifiers with my monitor audios and I found Marantz was a perfect fit.
I bought the pm6002 and its so so musical. Fits jazz and rock very nicely. "Faithless" is sensational, I listen to them everyday

So maybe you could look at something more powerful for you're RS6's from Marantz! I will warn you though that you MIGHT find the bass a bit loose and 'fat' sounding. This has definately improved since my amp is now worn in but I find my system epic for the money I paid with relativity to a lot of people here. But then, I'm a student for now!

Bronze Member

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 100
J, I demo'd the RS6 with Marantz as well, and at the time I thought was a good fit. That option has often been in the back of my mind. I could get a PM7001 for the same price as my CA, from a dealer who allows returns, so I could do an in-home test comparison.

But I wonder if some of the others here might have some thoughts on that...is the sound quality of a Marantz comparable to what I'm used to with the CA?

But then again, I know that most will say that if I can listen to it, and i like it, that's what counts. Maybe I'll just have to try it...

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 676
Definateley just try that. The key is not to care about brand image etc (too much). Interesting how you said the Marantz option was in the back of you're mind. Just go with it if YOU know its the best and most pleasant musical presentation. What counts though is long term listening and whether its just me that finds CA bright is obviously subjective.
Yes CA is probably built nicer, the remote, the sturdiness of the amp, but it doesn't mean Marantz is the opposite. Theres no question at all which amplifier sounds better out of Marantz and CA. I think you'd miss out a good system matching opportunity if you chose the CA.
Still, try both!

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1052
Tony, your system has some similarities with mine (RS6, CA 640C). i recently upgraded to a CA receiver (540R it's an HT receiver) but does 2 channel very, very well.

I would look at the CA integrateds. I've auditioned them, and they sound quite good for the price.

Username: Socktown

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 5
For what it's worth, and I'm only now as I approach the mythic "middle life" phase sharpening my audiophile teeth, I just purchased an Onkyo A-9555 integrated. I listened to the CA, various NAD integrateds, PS Audio, etc. but kept being drawn back to this unit. Eventually (and that likely means 3-5 years) I'll go for a full mono block separate setup in my listening room. For now this Onkyo produces an amazingly easy and musical soundstage through my less than amazing system. I've heard it with better source and speaker setups than mine and it makes those sing as well.

No one was more surprised than me when my ears settled on this as my preferred $1000/under integrated. And, as to running hot or straining for volume, it pushes my power hog ancient studio monitors smoothly with MUCH volume left in the amp and it runs (and being class D it should) very cool for as long as I want.

Okay...sorry...that sounded like an add for Onkyo. Not my intent. Just sharing another low cost integrated option that doesn't pop up on everyone's list.

Have a great day everybody!

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1661
I have read good things about that model Onkyo Ken.

Paradigm Studio Monitors? Or do u mean just the typical Studio Monitor type of speaker?

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 6
Actually they are Fostex SM6600 monitors. And no one, not even the folks at Fostex, can give me any information or specifications on the unit. Even Nuck can't find anything on them. Best I can figure they were manufactured in the early 80's. They are that 'old school' floor standing design: 3-way, large (12") driver with a 3"-mid and small bullet-style horn tweeter in a side by side plate just above. Single front port. Short, wide, heavy (these things have monster insulation and bracing) and they even have 3 front panel tone controls. A Wall/Floor switch that seems to adjust the cross mid/high; a mid-level switch that seems to have a strong adjustment range and a similar tone control for the tweeter. I have a friend who is a musician and part time studio guy who owns all the speakers in the world. He basically gave them to me for next to nothing as a birthday present a couple of years ago.

If you can post pics into these boards I'll take a snap and post it if anyone is interested.

Have a great day.

Silver Member

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 102
We're definitely interested, let's see some pics...

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 7
Okay....let's see if I can get this image to post. These are them with their grills removed in all their glory.

Upload
Upload

Don't know how much life is left in these, but they still sound pretty good.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3079
Tony,

I just had a thought (I know I know). Since you're in the UK, you could consider a pre-loved 2nd hand Naim amp. A 9 year old 62/140 pre/power is less than £500 and will need servicing (i.e. about £250) spent on it in a year or two, unless it's already been serviced. That amp would put a silly smile on your face I warrant. Have a word with James at Tom Tom Audio in St Albans. He's generally recognised as one of the best sources for 2nd hand Naim gear in the UK.

Silver Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 245
Well I agree on the comments about the Ca640v2 mine gets quite warm. I dont have airco, and i live in the caribbean. What I was considering was simply getting a ext amp with the 640 as pre. since well i kinda like the combo or RS6 with a CA
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us