Please help a newb - $1000 to $1500 budget on ht speakers

Cyrus
i have H/K AVR 525 with H/K dvd 25
i guess like a lot of people i bought bose for the "wrong" reasons. i have the acoustimass 10 series 3 and was not too impressed when i got everything running. While tweaking the receiver and looking for frequency response specs from the bose manual, there was none! i thought i was just overlooking and did a online search. Thats when i came upon reviews and this board. NOW i know why i couldnt find the info! I am going to return the bose so Can someone please recommend a setup for my allocated budget?
btw- space is important for me - i live in a 750 ft 1 br apt in nyc. I was attracted by the bose size but to get such inferior sound is not acceptable.

thanks in advance!

Cain Puki
try going to www.axiom.com they have an excellent ht wizard that may be able to help you out. Sorry about the Bose..I myself am trying to get rid of my Acousticrap 10 ser2....letting it go for 500...any takers? Still in the original box...sold to me by some guys in a van...should have taken the Theater Research...wink wink!

Hawk
I have the perfect speaker system for your H/K receiver: the JMlabs Sib/Cub. It is meant to be a competitor to the Bose as the satellites (the "Sibs") come with a swiveling wall mount and the overall size of the speaker is small (meant for an apartment), but not as small as the Bose. Has a 5" mid/woofer and a 1" dome tweeter. The "Cub" is an 8" subwoofer.

Overall, the system is very accurate, but a bit on the bright side. However, that is exactly what you need with the H/K receiver, which is very "laid back" in its sound. I have heard the Sib/Cub with your H/K and it is a superb system match. If you can't find it at a local dealer, check it out at audioadvisor.com. Cost is $1195 for the whole speaker system.

Joong-In Rhee
If you decide to go with Axiom, 3ti ($227)(bookshlef), or 22 model is small floor stander($400). Check www.vertigoonline.com for best price.
There are many good speakers, so I would goto a Hifi shop and listen, coz at the end, you have to be satisfied, so trust your ear.
For professional reviews:
www.Hifichoice.co.uk
If you want to chat alive and ask questions:
www.audioasylum.com

I personally like:

Niles audio
Paradigm titan
Monitor audio bronz

I would spend about the same amount on speakers as the receiver - you must match the level of components, to not waste money.
Get some quality cables to hook up your system though - they make a difference. Your system is only as good as the weakest link. www.accessories4less.com has special on Ixos video cables. Get also pretty good speaker cables. Spend only about 10% of your system on cables though.

Anonymous
Fluance is pretty good choice for only $250 on ebay. Monitor audio bronz series is perhaps a little better, several times the cost.

Cyrus
thanks a lot folks!
Unfortunately, i have to deal with aesthetics as well as sound quality. My girlfriend vetoed the JMlabs because it would clash with our maple Salamander Synergy rack. I greatly appreciate all your advice. What about Magnepan MMG for $550? I have heard countless great reviews about these speakers and the company itself. Plus, they have a relatively small footprint. This would leave me with $1000 to spend on sub etc. Would my HK 525 be a good match esp. with the power requirements of the the MMGs?

Anonymous
The MMG's would suck your HK 525 dry and leave it dead on the road.

Hawk
Man, your girlfriend is even worse than my wife!

I agree with Anonymous--your H/K is not a good match for the MMGs. The MMGs are a very low impedence speaker and the H/K simply could not handle it. Too bad, too, because the MMGs are about the sweetest speaker I have ever heard for under $1K. I have had a pair of the MMGs and unless you go with an NAD, you must get separates to drive them.

So you need something small and in a maple finish, eh? Well, that rules out almost everything. I go back to my original suggestion of the NHT SB1s with a SC1 Center. They would be a huge improvement over the Bose and you can get them in either a high gloss black or high gloss white piano finish. If you can go just a little bit larger, try the KEF Q1s. BTW, the Sib/Cubs also come in black.

Cyrus
Yes, she probably is! Shes been begging me not to return the "cute" bose cubes.
the speakers just have to be neutral (black)
i believe the JMlabs i saw were in cherry finish and i didnt see black avail. In any case, i am happy with the h/k (had it for a week now) but i am really intrigued by the MMGs. i can still return the h/k if you think i can get something that would work well with the MMGs ($1000 max). As a reminder, im using this hardware for a home theater+music.
I will check out your other suggestions as well.
once again, thanks for your time!

Hawk
There is only one receiver that will work with the MMGs for less than $1K, and that is the NAD 752. And I can tell you right now that is my dream system. I had the MMGs, but my wife convinced me to return them as she didn't want to see the speakers. I have really regretted doing so. However, there is no more musical system available for less than $2500 than the NAD 752 with the MMGs. It is just an incredible combo.

If it were me, I would return the H/K and get a 752 and also order the MMGs.

Cyrus
ok im gonna pull the trigger
Ill try the nad 752 with the mmgs
Can you recommend some online dealers for the nad? Are you familiar with dmc-electronics.com?
I remember seeing them referenced on this board for nad stuff. They have plenty of refurbished stuff that are a bit enticing. ie. nad 752 + dvd 512 for $799. should i not even think about refurbished components? Anyway, ill try to find a deal on a new one. TIA.

Hawk
Cyrus:

E-mail me at socrmad@aol.com for NAD dealers.

Jeff
How about Anthony Gallo Micro Speakers. I have been reading great reviews on these.

jbliz
I am also a newbie looking to purchase speakers and a receiver for about $2500. The system will be used for HT and music.

Hawk, I have read alot of your posts and value your opinion. So for this price range, you recommend going with two pairs of the MMGs ($1100) and the NAD 752 ($800, i think). This leaves me $600 for a center channel speaker and sub to complete my system. Any recommedations?

Thanks,

jbliz
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us