PROBLEM WITH TURNTABLE CONNECTION TO PHONO INPUT

Username: Dibyendughosh

Post Number: 1
Dear All,
I'm recently purchased a SONODYNE SIA102R integrated amp with PHNO, CD, TUNER, AUX and TAPE input. Out of every input PHONO does not work with my PHILIPS HQ INTL turntable. The sound comes with greate distortion. But with other input say CD the turnable working fine with a low gain. Besides my APPLE IPOD working fine with PHONO input of the same set. I've three philips turntable. All results same distorted sound. The sonodyne persons told me to bring the amp with turntable at there service centre. Please could any one tell me the reason. Thanks

}

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6874
Take it to their service center and they'll tell you.

Post Number: 2
hi art, I've already sent it to their service centre with two turntable..response is yet to receive. but one thing i want to know that PHONO INPUT NEEDS a seperate pre-amp in my turntable too. my turntable has got direct output means ceramic critdge pickup to output of the turntable. so whould it create any problem? pl reply

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2936
Hello,

According to the Sonodyne manual (http://www.sonodyne.com/pdf/SiA%20102R%20OM.pdf), this amplifier has a proper Phono RIAA input. However, the Phono input is for MC (Moving Coil) cartridges only (see page 3). If you use a Moving Magnet cartridge it will overload the phono input. I believe this is what is happening.

There are two main types of cartridge available - Moving Coil and Moving Magnet. A Moving Coil cartridge has much lower output (about 10 times less voltage) than a Moving Magnet cartridge. Therefore your cartridge is more than likely overloading the phono stage of the Sonodyne which gives a lot of distortion.

I cannot find information about the Philips turntable but I would be surprised if it had an MC cartridge in it. Philips is not renowned for making high end turntables, and MC cartridges are usually more expensive than MM cartridges. The cheapest would be an Ortofon MC15 at about £100.

Post Number: 3
Hi Frank
Thank you for your very very valuable reply and I think you are absolutely right. My turntable has got Ceramic Pin. Is it belong to MM Critdge? If so then please tell me how I would lower the input voltage in phono with this turntable. Should I modify in PHONO OUT SECTION OF THE TURNTABLE..HOW? In fact there is a dirct out of LEFT/RIGHT CHENNEL from critdge for PHONO IN. So, in that section how I could lower the voltage. Thanks once again and pl reply.

Post Number: 4
Dear All
I'm sending the pic of my original cartridge no. AG3306 make PHILIPS. Could any one tell me whether it belongs to MC or MMUpload

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2946
After doing some research it seems ceramic cartridges are really quite low grade. Their styli have a tendency to wear into flat spots very quickly (2 - 3 LPs) causing damage to the LPs from then on. Ceramic cartridges have a high output around 6 mV which is OK for an MM phono stage but between 10 and 20 times too high for an MC phono stage (as you have). therefore, I really would not use this cartridge if I were you! If the cartridge mounting is the standard 1/2 inch job (and I have this feeling it isn't), get yourself an MC cartridge. If you must persevere with the ceramic cartridge you have, you'll need to devise a stepdown device to do the job. the money would be better spent on a cartridge in my view.

For more information on the types of cartridges look here:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/cartridgehistory.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us