BiWiring, does it really make a difference??

Paul T
I am seriously looking into buying Polk's LSi series speakers and have to prewire the living room during remolding. Does BiWiring really make a big difference in sound quality??

Derek
Bi-wiring can only make a difference if you are using very thin wire. Using a larger [single] wire has the same effect as biwiring. Don't waste your time and money. Just use the next gauge thicker wire.

Anonymous
If you keep your bi-wired speakers single-wired make sure you replace the cheap jumpers with good heavy gauge jumpers. Many of the jumpers that come with bi-wired speakers are total CR.AP!!!!!

timn8ter
Hot topic lately huh? Many have confused bi-wiring with bi-amping. As Derek says, bi-wiring is not going to make a significant difference in sound quality. Bi-amping is a totally different concept. As an example, you have a three way system. Each driver has it's own amplifier and each amplifier has it's own crossover network specifically designed for the driver it's connected to. This setup, while complex to design, has a major impact on the sound quality of the speaker system. A good example of this is the Orion system designed by Seigfried Linkwitz. You can read about it at http://www.linkwitzlab.com/

timn8ter
Hmmm...I guess that would be tri-amping wouldn't it? Oh well, you probably get the idea.

Paul T
So I take it BiWiring using the same amp does nothing to improve sound quality or improve imaging??

timn8ter
Even bi-wiring with separate amps isn't going make a noticeable difference. The heart of the matter, IMHO, is the crossover network. Sure, you run two sets of wires, but you still end up pushing a signal through the same passive crossover network. In bi-amping the signal passes through separate active crossovers specific to each driver. That's what makes the difference.

slick
bi wiring can make all the difference to a system providing the speakers you have and amp support it. its basically splitting the bass and treble so that they can be tweaked on the amp for the best performance possible. a worthwhile investment if you have the money for the decent system.

Derek
Slick, seperating the bass and treble is called bi-amping.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us