Speaker level connection?

Bronze Member
Username: 70chevelle

Post Number: 54
If a sub is connected via speaker level connections, does the receivers internal amp still power the mains, or is the sub's amp now powering the mains? Just curious.

Bronze Member
Username: Jblsince1989

Post Number: 66
Yes because its acting like low pass filter where it cuts off some of the lower end of the frequency response.

You would still need to set the volume to the correct tone of the crossover point at the subwoofer.

Its best used with separate individual inputs going to the sub rather than as whole, this will allow you to experiment.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10019
If your receiver has no sub-out, then the only option is to use speaker level connections, like I do.
The XO in the sub will taper the low level cutoff, but the mains will still see the full spectrum.
If your mains do not like the full bass, of if you want to tailor things a bit, then a cub with mains in and out will let you tailor the response that the mains will see.
However, the bass will sometims roll-off a full octave, muddiying things up a bit.
A good sub can filter this, if it has a 4th order filter.

Always look for 4th order or higher in a sub for a sharp roll-off.

Username: Kjward

Post Number: 1
i have a 4 ohm, dual voice coil sub which i'd like to connect to a separate two-channel 8 ohm stereo amp directly...how do i go about wiring the amp's L & R speaker outs to the sub L & R terminals?

thanks in advance

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11015
Remove the jumpers between the posts.
Connect the left input + and - to the left side of the amp.
Repeat for the right side.

Post Number: 2
haven't noticed any jumpers to remove. won't connecting each channel to each voice coil still present a 4 ohm load to each channel?

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 355
Yes, if each VC is 4ohm, that's what each channel will see.
In parallel, it'll be 2ohm, than with the customary dip, lower and an amp killer (potential)
In series, add 'em up for a total of 8ohm.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11016
I had assumed 2X8ohm in parallel. What kind of home sub is it, KW?

Post Number: 3
by running the voice coils in series, it gets me the desired 8 ohm load, but it also decreases my connections to a single channel; what to do with the other? (L/R). by maintaining the two separate voice coil connections to accomodate each channel (L&R), I'm stuck pushing 4 ohms each from the 8 ohm amp. I hooked it up this way o'er the weekend and it seemed to function o.k., albeit hungry for power. the amp didn't seem to mind, though. warm-ish, but by no means marshmallow-roasting temps.

the setup is a passive 15" dvc (4 ohms each) in an infinite baffle box sized accordingly, powered by a separate stereo amp (yamaha M-80) that's been collecting dust.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11033
Despite the lowering in performance, it is OK to put a 2ohm resistor in series in the circuit, be sure it is big enough.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us