Help me out

Gold Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 1797
got this sub.well actually 3 but only using one.it should do well ht cuz its fs is 25 hz

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=92&products_id=183

plan on getting a 240 watt plate amp for it.can i get some tips.i kno alot about car audio but home audio is a different story.where should i tune it to.i like 32 hz in car audio.i was thankin 28-30 hz in my room tho.i can build the box.would a slot ported box be ok in a house or should i use flared ports?

Username: Pbj

Victoria, BC Canada

Post Number: 1
Slot ported or tube ported both work fine. I have used flared ports and still prefer a plain PVC tube. Typical is diameter of port is 1/3 effective diameter of driver. Tune port to free-air resonant frequency of driver (f_s or f_r) Helmholtz formula is
f_port=c_s/(2*pi)*sqrt(A_port/(V*L))
c_s=343m/s Speed-of-Sound in Air
V= Volume of Box
L=Length of Port.
Recognize that the output impedance of a plate amplifier is quite high where the damping factor is pitifully low. In home audio the port is resonant dissonance and does not represent the true musical signal. I typically put the port on the back of the speaker. Car audio is more about slam and punch bass and not about extreme low-end even though the computer programs for Thiele-Small and enclosure design would lead you to believe that you can extract very low frequency response with a driver in a tiny box. The applied magnetic force from a car audio subwoofer driver is way higher than that for a high-end home audio bass driver. Depends on the real bandwidth that you are looking for where the price exponentially grows with the extension of low frequency bandwidth. Do you have any experience with Massive Subwoofers?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us