Choosing a good Subwoofer

Username: Lvmybw

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 1
I am looking to replace my B&W ASW-1000 sub. I want to spend around $1000. In that price point I don't like the B&W line. Any sugestions what you like and why. thanks

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 659
Hsu or Outlaw (same thing really). I like certain Velodyne too.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1231
What kind of bass you looking for? Are you up for buying used gear? What does the rest of the system comprise of? I ask that since some speakers such as planar ones require fast subs for accurate sound reproduction. Also, how big is the room which the sub will be going into? I would personally vouch for REL as I own the Q150E. Do not let their wattage ratings fool you. A 200W sub from them can potentially out perform 1000WW subs from other respectable companies. I like the REL for the tight, deep bass it gives. It is also relatively small for its punch. REL is going to be a bit harder to find new or used than Hsu or Outlaw but I think if it is for music, you will be happier. If it is for HT use, then maybe add SVS to your list.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1232
Sorry, I just read your profile Scott. Go for REL or something of that caliber. IMHO anything less will compromise the B&W Nautilus speaker system and make it sound like junk. I am sure others can suggest other high end subs for you.

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 440
I noticed REL was awarded Absolute Sound Magazine best of the year, I think around $700

Username: 8inch

AucklandNew zealand

Post Number: 3
Velodyne

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 144
for a grand you can get a pair of VTF2 mk3 HSU.

A pair of subs has certain advantages over a single sub. depending on the room you can reduce problems with standing waves.

My VTF2 mk3 (single) easily fills a 5000 cubic ft room with loudness to spare. I have it crossed over at 50hz on the dial, and it blends seamlessly with my speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 470
Wow two HsU subs!!!!!!!!!!!

I have one and I agree it is a lot.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 146
The HSU site features a room size chart and their subs are rated to agree with this chart. The VTF-2 is 'only' rated to a size 3 room while my room is easily into the #4 catagory. While a good tool, I suspect it is slightly tilted.
The good news is that my room is such an odd shape that I can detect no bass peaks/dips due to standing waves or other setup glitch.

A pair of VTF-2s would be overkill in anything but the most over-achiever of systems.

Username: Charmin23

Prairie du Sac, WI Usa

Post Number: 3
I would go with the KICKER 04S18X D4 18 INCH CAR AUDIO SUBWOOFER SOLO-X. It has a 5000 watt rms rating and a 10000 watt peak rating. Yea it is 100lbs but it will only cost you $550.00 on the website below. so check it out and let me know what you think.

0http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/1568312/vpcsid/0 /SFV/30046/order/desc/order_by/sell_price

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6582
Tony P....have you read where it is that you are posting?

This is Home Audio.

Username: Luisloco112

North providence, Rodhe island United states

Post Number: 2
go for two JL 10w7 and 1000/1 amp..
thats about 1000$..plus the wire kit and box..good sound man!
kicker
audiobahm
alpani
xplod
ect..
they all suck!

Username: Imhoaudio

Canada

Post Number: 5
Hey dude;
REL stuff is great, so are teh Martin Logan subs (but they DO get pricey quick)and we are using the TBI Magellan sub, which is pretty trippy, and I can highly recommend it. We have a write-up of it on our site.
Enjoy!
Humbly,
Jason Gower
www.imhoaudio.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us