Affordable 15" sub?

Bronze Member
Username: Amish

Riverside, CA

Post Number: 17
I'm looking for a sub to go along with my Infinity Beta speakers.

The room is 23ft X 17ft with vaulted ceiling.

I'm looking for SQ over SPL and want a 15 because I want very low bass. Sub 27Hz.

Any ideas welcome.

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 394
I am no expert but bought HsU based on rave reviews and dealer recommendation because it is one of the best priced sub.

Absolute sound gave a REL the best of the year this year.
I think some of the regulars here recommend it too.

Bronze Member

Riverside, CA

Post Number: 24
HsU makes some nice kit. No 15" in the line up but I imagine it's not needed. $499 is a bit much for me though. At the same time I do know you get what you pay for. Still with my limited budget I'm not sure I can justify spending $500+ for a sub.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 110
The HSU Research VTF3-HO should 'bout do it.
claimed response to 16hz in max extension mode.
500 watts and a ship weight of 93lb. only a grand

On the other hand, the VTF1 at a substanially lower price point meets your requirements but may be spread a little thin in so large a room. The Maple finish is nice.

NOW:: what do you want? sound reinforcement for movies? Heavy rock at nosebleed levels? Clear classic kettledrums? 1812 Overture at realistic levels?

If your average ceiling height is 9 feet, you are at about 3500cubic feet. Keep this in mind when making a purchase.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 397
I don't really know your main speakers. Mine are small monitors with not much bass. I am starting to think that some bigger speakers in the 1st place would be more simple but I moved around a lot and liked the monitors.
Well, my sub, VTF2 is a monster. It can really rock. It replaced a MK which did not have the tone quality. More of a fuzzy boom like car bass.

I paid about $500 new. It is much more than "what you pay for". More Bang for the buck. But unnecessary for me. I keep it turned way down to about 25% capacity.

I more often get used gear but wanted a good sub because I listen to mostly bands with big acoustic upright bass, and this HsU is WAY overkill.

(Ray Brown, Paul Chambers, Charlie Haden, Buster Williams, Ron Carter, Dave Holland, Christian McBride, Gary Peacock, George Mraz, Charlie Mingus, and many many more plus the electric guys like Jaco etc....)

Bronze Member

Riverside, CA

Post Number: 30
I'm leaning towards the Infinity SW-12 at the moment. 500watts rms, 12", cherry wood to match my Betas. I can pick this up for $399 which is the very upper limit I'm willing to spend.

Everything else I'm looking at in my price range has a 150watt rms amp. I'd like something with more ooompth.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 111
Listen to Kevin! That is exactly the way I am headed. With HsuResearch only 60 or 70 miles up the road in OC, I'll save shipping maybe meet the good doctor and end up with a sub I can't outgrow.

Bronze Member

Riverside, CA

Post Number: 32
Their subs are way expensive though. $499 entry level. $600+ for something that has what I want. I'm not made of money. My old lady is shitten herself that I'm willing to spend $400. I do like the idea of walking into their shop and listening to them though. I live 36 miles away from their shop. I think I'll make an appointment to audition their subs.

Bronze Member

Riverside, CA

Post Number: 33
I guess that statement is wrong. Entry level is cheaper by a little but those subs would not do at all.

I'd want at the least the VTF-2 MK 3 with it's 250watts of power and 18Hz low extention. $499 is too much but I'll see what I can do.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 398
I tell my wife that I paid only $50!
Hey, maybe that is where she got that habit of rolling her eyes. I can understand being frugal since I have worked only 5-6 months per year for the last 20 yrs! That is why I have so much used stuff. Cars, HiFi etc. The sub is one of the few new pieces I have bought. You can get a good idea of used prices on AudiogoN. There are a few subs under $500 but not so many.

Bronze Member

Riverside, CA

Post Number: 34
Well I called Hsu and talked with them a bit. I setup an appointment for the 15th of this month. I'm going to be testing the VTF2 and VTF3.

They want me to provide a drawing of my room, size and dims plus my other equipment.

They are already trying to push me towards the VTF3 for $699. They offer a 10% discount if I pay cash.

The thing is I have a budget of $400 and this afternoon I decided to up my budget to $500 and buy the VTF2. Now they think I should skip it for the VTF3. I really do not think I need to spend another $200 for that sub. I'll see what happens when I go in next week.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 399
I don't know how to calculate size need for a particular room.

I just know that my VTF 2 is way too big for me! It should rock a big living room easy. But, I am a heating guy, not a hifi guy :-)

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 113
Hsu rates there subs by room Volume, not just ft2.
Chart is on site.
Kevin, how do you get from Riverslide to OC in 36 miles?
You must live in Corona and do the 91->57?
I thought HSU was in GG.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 407
I am in Alaska. It is now minus -45 F !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought the sub new in Seattle maybe 5 yrs ago.

Bronze Member

Riverside, CA

Post Number: 35
leo,

I'm the one that lives 36 miles from HSU. I live in Riverside and will be taking the 91 through Corona into Anaheim.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us