NEED SOME ADVICE...THANKS

Username: Gosse

Guayaquil, Guayas Ecuador

Post Number: 3
Hello to everybody.
I am looking to upgrade my home sound system and I have a budget of $ 3000. I will really appreciate if you could give me some recommendation/advice of what is the best amp+floorstanding speakers set up I can buy?
The system will be used in my living room, mostly for social reunions. My music preference is rock, alternative and some electronic music (no rap or hip hop).
Thanks for your kind assistance.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9678
Hi again, GdV.
That question is so broad that a few other question are in order.
What is the size and configuration of your listening area?
How loudly do you expect the thing to be able to go?
Do room asthetics play a part in your decision?
Have you listened to live music recently?
How flexible do you expect the kit to be? Are you planning to watch films with this kit?
Do you intend to put vinyl into the system?
How often do you sit down and seriously listen to music, and not the hifi?
When was the last time you visited a good stereo shop, not a box store?

These Q's are going to pop up on your thread quite often.

We need this kind of information to see what you are all about, how you listen and what to recommend.

Best regards,

Nuck.

BTW, we just love a first poster like yourself.
You will be guided, misguided, confused and spun around.
But at least you found us before buying something yucky.

Post Number: 4
Thanks Nuck for your mail.
I will try to explain more about myself so you can have a better understanding
I have always been a big fan of music; although, I do not know much about the technologies behind it.
When I built my house I decided to install in wall speakers (Boston Acoustics) which turned out to be a terrible decision.
Anyway, I have Defenitive Technology speakers in my home theater system, and the sound difference is abysmal compared to my living room. I want to change the setup in my living room using floorstanding speakers but because I am not an expert I am recurring to you guys for some advice, so I will not make the same mistake.
I want to replace also my old amp for a new one to go along with the new speakers.
The listening area is of about 60 m2.
Looks are important; otherwise, I am going to have problems with my wife.
I will play mostly CD and some MP3s, not vynil or movies.
Clarity of sound is a must....but they also need
to be loud enough to handle a party.
An finally for your reference, my favorite group is Rush (especially early recordings) so you can have some reference of my listening preferences.
I live in Ecuador where there is no good audio stores, I will need to buy everything through the interner (USA) and have it shipped to my country, that is why your advice is so important for me.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2659
Gosseling,

60m2 is helpful (big room) but can you help us with dimensions please? If it's long and narrow and you shoot across the room, then this will mean you don't need as much from the speakers as in a square-ish room.

Rush is a high energy band with lots of fast driving midrange and upper/mid bass, but not deep bass. This is pretty typical of the rock genre. What you should be looking for is a system with bite, snap and attack. Unfortunately they don't come cheap, and if your room is square you will need relatively large speakers to make it work. The problem then becomes that you need to drive those speakers properly, which costs more money. This is going to be difficult...:-)

Bronze Member
Username: Sanio

South Wester... Canada

Post Number: 46
Recentily help someone purchase this setup for 3K CDN.

Similar requirements as yours.

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Reviews/Real_Hi_Fi/P5K6H3N2?page=4

Post Number: 5
Dear Frank:
Thank you for your message.
My living room dimensions are about 6mt x 10mt.
I am considering between the following options, please give me your honest opinion:
SPEAKERS:
Polk LSi15 or Definitve Technology BP7004
AMPLIFIER
Marantz PM7001
These option will fit more or less my budget; however, I was also looking at the DENON PMA2000IVR, which costs an extra $ 600 compared to the Marantz. Do you think it is worth it to pay that extra amount for the DENON amplifier?
Thansk in advance for your help.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1084
John- Do u remember how much the Brio and R3's were separately?

Bronze Member
Username: Sanio

South Wester... Canada

Post Number: 47
They were not willing to break out the set sooo unfortunately no.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6111
That little system is highly musical and just plain fun setup...heard it many times!

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1087
Art- Do the R3's hold their own against something like the Monitor Audio RS6's?

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 107
GvD,
The real size of the room is not measured by just the area, in your case 60m2. You also need to know the height, to compute volume......so you have complete different problems with 8ft=2.5m or even say a 10ft ceiling or higher. The small room is 150m3 while the higher ceiling makes 180m3.
The numbers make more sense to me in English units, but the 2nd example IS 20% larger. That won't change no matter what unit you use.

Main Point? Larger (more volume) rooms are slightly more difficult to reach hi loudness levels. Bass may even require a larger sub, if you go that way. Good luck with THAT shipping.

I used to enjoy HCJB on the shortwave.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2675
Fact is, 6mx10m is a big room, even with a midget height...

That is one big room. Is this a multi-purpose room? If it's part lounge and part-diner, then you should consider just the lounge portion of the room even though the whole room is larger, since the applicable part of the room where you want best fidelity applied is that part of the room, and the dining portion is really only the recipient of background music - still heard but fundamentally lower requirements.

If the whole room has to be served by the system, it is difficult to construct a system of decent fidelity that can cover that volume for the budget...

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us