Suggest Amp for Stereo

Username: Enam

Post Number: 4
Folks,

I'm looking for a good quality Stereo amp that would match with JBL 890 floorstanders. Budget is 700-1000 US$. There is a posibility to use pre-amp in feauture. Please suggest what amp I should consider.

Thanks in advance.

Post Number: 5
Can I expect some advice from audio gurus...

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2551
Enamul,

There are so many brands out there offering amplifiers in your price range it is difficult to suggest just a few. Can you tell us what's available in your area?

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2296
"There is a posibility to use pre-amp in feauture."

Are you looking for an integrated amp - one which has volume control and source selection, or strictly a power amp - which does not?

What do you have now? If you're prepared to spend $700-$1K on an integrated amp, you may want to look into better speakers first.

What source are you using? You may want to upgrade the source.

We don't really have enough information to give a recommendation worth anything. We could list some brands like Rotel, NAD, Marantz, and so on.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 788
Stu- How much is the Mira in the states? May be another rec. But I agree with Frank and Stu- need more info.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2297
I think $1250.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5681
$1145.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2303
I think prices may have gone up, Art. The Apollo was $995, and is now $1250. Naim gear also went up, on account of the declining dollar.

Silver Member

Post Number: 791
I got my Apollo for 1200 taxes included in CDN. But my dealer usually cuts me 20 percent.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5682
The Apollo is $1195.

Guys, I just received the Music Direct catalog last week...and trust me they ain't cuttin' deals!

Post Number: 6
Hi All,

Thanks all for your inputs.

I'm currently using Yamaha RXV-450 for both A/V purpose. Considering SQ, audio is not good as video. Mid is fine but woofers are not good. Bass in not tight, deep and punchy.

I'm using OPPO DV-980 as source. It has good review on CD/SACD. Fronts spk (JBL-890) also has good review. So I beleave if I separate JBL for audio with good maching amp I should get much beter sound.

Solutions I'm considering following options:
-Pre + power amp (both SS) or
-Tube Pre (could be Diva Classic 1H)+ SS Power (ADCOM) or
-Good Int amp (should has good pre section)

I'm considering ADCOM, ARCAM then NAD

Please advice on in above brand plus options.

Cheers

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 114
For 2-channel music listening, your best bet in my opinion is to upgrade your source. The Oppo is servicable for audio...nothing more. If you want to build something that will give you good sound quality you're going to need a new source. Either a new cdp, or a dac using your Oppo as a transport only.

IMO, spend most of the $1000 on a decent source, and buy a less expensive amp for now, and upgrade later when you get additional cash. This would get you much better sound. There are some very good inexpensive Class T or D amps, or you could check out the used market for a traditional A/AB amp.

I'm not familiar with the JBL's so I don't know how difficult they are to drive.

Silver Member

Post Number: 794
"I'm considering ADCOM, ARCAM then NAD"

I find Adcom is kind of like NAD in the sense you have to listen to 4 or 5 different pieces of equipment of each, to find one that sounds good. Arcam on the other hand, well everything seems to sound good from them. If you go the Adcom or NAD route, pick your pieces wisely. But of course, you have to get out there and listen to some stuff to hear what you will like.

Post Number: 7
Could any one suggest mid range cdp (not marantz).

- Cambridge Audio Azur 640C V2
- Cambridge 740C premium CD player
- Cyrus CD6s
- NAD C521 I
From above list which cdp you suggest?

My second question, with cdp if I change current amp (yamaha rxv 450) with yamaha rxv 1800 amp-how these will work?

thanks again...

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9319
EH, do you want a HT receiver or an integrated amp?
Cambridge has a lot of buzz for both products.
If you are going to use a Yamaha receiver, the lower 640C would work OK.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2589
Enamul

The Cyrus CD6s is not very good value for money in my opinion. Over here, it retails for not much less than a Rega Apollo, and the Apollo is in the next league up.

That said, the prices you have may be very different to mine, since you're comparing the NAD C521 which is an obsolete machine replaced by the C525BEE nowadays.

On the amplifier front, price for price, I would struggle between the Arcam and NAD (I don't know the Adcoms which I have seen recommended in the past). The Arcam presentation is warmer smoother and overall a bit more rounded than the NAD, but this gives the NAD an incisiveness and attack which the Arcam can lack occasionally. It also depends on which models you're considering of course...

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us