Powered subwoofer vs. receiver amp

Username: Turbodean

San Francisco Bay Area, CA USA

Post Number: 4
Does a powered amp put any significant drain on the receiver amp?

I am looking at bookshelf speakers to go with a simple 2 channel receiver (Onkyo 8522), but may decide I want more bass when it is all hooked up. Due to the limitations of the receiver (IM states 8-16 ohm when using A & B outputs)I have been focused on 8 ohm speakers, but when I started looking at subs to see what their load were, I found no information. Is it negligible enough that I can safely run 6 ohm bookshelfs off SPEAKER A and a powered sub off SPEAKER B?

Thanks,

Dean

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9113
Dean, the powered sub has no effect on the impedence of the speaker load, or the overall load presented to the receiver.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9114
The only consideration speaker wise is that the speaker impedence does not dip too far below 6 ohms.
A 6ohm speaker could vary across the board affecting the receiver that way, sub or not.
Get a good recommendation on the pairing that you are considering, ideally try them together first.

Post Number: 5
Great, good to hear.

So, do you give good recommendations? :-)

I have been unable to find local dealers (or dealers don't seem to exist, like Hsu) for the ones I would like to hear, so I have pretty much given up. I have my eye on Paradigm Studio 20 V2s on ebay and craigslist in the $400 range, though a pair of V2 Titans are available for $150. (Still searching.) Hopefully no need for a sub with these pairs, but we'll see. It isn't so much "sub bass" frequencies that I desire, but more mid, maybe upper bass. Option 2 is new Hsu HB-1s and an Hsu STF-1.

I went looking for impedance data and have found conflicting info. For instance, on the Paradigm 20 V3s, one site stated they were rated as 4 Ohm speakers, with charts showing the ohms being below 5 from 100 to 400Hz. Paradigm's site states it is an 8 Ohm speaker, which is why it is on my list!

Others that I'm interested in:

- PSB Image B25 (though they are 6 ohm, and at the top of my price range if bought new)
- Paradigm Titan (new version)
- Monitor Audio S2 (though again, they are 6 ohm, and at the top of my price range if new during the current closeout pricing)
- Onix x-ls (cheap enough that I could afford the Palisander Natural Satin finish, plus a powered sub for about the same as the above new prices)

The Hsu's still seem to be the bargain, and since I'm putting together such a simple system with a minimal receiver, that might be the way to go.

FWIW, right or wrong, I eliminated the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 from my list of possibilities due to the 25W min power recommendation, and my wife listens to music at very low levels while reading. Same with the Wharfedale 9.2. Since I know no better, I could be convinced otherwise if they are more worthwhile than the other options, though.

TIA,

Dean

Gold Member

Post Number: 9164
Dean, I do not give good rec's, outside of scotch.
The Glenlivet is not bad for openers.

The B25's are a different bird, to be sure, and at the top of your price, you could do better.
Like the Wharfedale 9.2's.
Yup.
Your speakers are just fine.

Post Number: 7
Alright, I'll not ask for a rec then, just another Q. :-)

When I see the mfg spec for recommended power and it is 20-100 or 25-200, should that concern me for low level listening?

I also looked at more impedance data as you suggested. Enlightening. Thanks for that, though I don't believe I know enough to recognize problem areas. It does appear that the PSBs are sub-6 ohm in a lot of frequency ranges, so those are out for now. MA S2s look fine from 500Hz up, but 100-500 it dips to a low of just under 4 ohms. The Ascend xl-s only dips to 5 ohm (@ ~3kHz), but the curve is more erratic, going up to 27 ohm. Is that a problem for certain types of amps?

Seems each speaker has its pros and cons, with nothing perfect. I was surprised to see some 6 Ohm speakers with higher impedance minimums than some 8 Ohm speakers, but I suppose they are rated by some averaging calc.

Thanks for the guidance,

Dean
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us