I can hear those notes starting and stopping!

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1622
Well, a Musical Fidelity A5 arrived at my house this morning. I appreciate everyone's advice on the Naim, Rega and other amps, but I took the opportunity to give it a trial, it's brand new, and I got it for a price I know I can resell it for if necessary.

But I doubt it will come to that. Straight out of the box, this powerhouse sounds just absolutely stunning (well as part of the setup). Art says MF aren't musical for him. Well this one certainly is musical to me Art. It's fast, rhythmic, has much improved imaging and soundstage, bass is wonderfully full and controlled and it opens up music to such an extent over the NAD combo that even if I had paid full retail, I'd think it was a bargain. Improvements in attack and decay are really obvious and the instruments and voices are so clearly defined.

One little glitch, the Marantz receiver's remote operates the A5. I may need to cover the sensor on the amp for playing movies and surround music.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5470
It's all about preference MR...I'm glad you like it...It's still not what I would choose however it's your money not mine, and your ears that have to be pleased. Congrats!

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 602
You mean theres something out there better than NAD?? Piss off!!! LOL just kidding. Congrats M.R. Happy listening bud.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11555

!

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1624
Thanks guys. Art, I wasn't criticising just reaffirming your earlier comment about preference. Nick, yes the A5 sounds better than our NAD combo, but at the price the NAD is incredible value for money.

When Mrs Rantz arrived home, I played a disc and she heard the difference right away - phew! She said it sounded like the music had more depth and was much clearer.

The A5 has no frills - no tone or balance controls, no standby (it does have a mute button), but it is well built, very heavy, very powerful and makes great music. Our hi-fi rack is a real hodge podge of components now.

Oh, and there's an empty space too! Hmm.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8949
Thats great MR!
I hope you have many years of enjoyment.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5472
MR, really I'm not a hothead....lol! I didn't think you were being critical...I really am glad that you are enjoying your new MF. Congrats for real!!!

As always, enjoy the music!!

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 810
Congrats M.R. Do you have any Aussie bands you can demo on it?

Does the A5 operate the Marantz too?

Not bad having a spare hand controller you know, those things are mischievous little devils with their constant games of hide-and-seek.

"I call that a bargain, the best I ever had."

Cheers

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1625
Thanks again guys.

Michael, not sure if the A5 remote operates the Marantz, I'll have to see.

As far as demoing Aussie bands on the A5, I'm sure it could stand the weight, but there is only enough room on it for solo performances

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 812
ROTFLOL

but wait...

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1626
Sorry Mike - I couldn't help it.

Aussie bands/artists - Cold Chisel, Hunters & Collectors, Black Sorrows, Wilson/Diesel, Marg Evans, Crowded House, and some more I'm sure (old age). Thanks for the reminder, it's been some time since I've spun some of these.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8950
men at work

Bronze Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 98
Cool Aussie Band - Wolfmother

just throwin that out there....

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1628
I'm a tad too old for Wolfmother, Marc. LOl!

Gold Member

Post Number: 8957
Good Gawd, man!?
How could ANYBODY be too old for a band called Wolfmother?
I may try a download after my tea and Geritol.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 610
Wolfmother rule.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us