Need Help with cables...

Username: Mikef973

Post Number: 1
Newbie question--I have uploaded 2 pics. 1 is of my subwoofer and one is the back of my new Pioneer VSX-516-K 7.1 receiver. My problem is I am trying to connect my subwoofer, but the inputs on the back of my subwoofer only take the +/- speaker wire and the output on the back of my A/V only give you the monstercable output. After talking to several people, they suggested I buy the monstercable subwoofer cable and cut the cord, then separate the +/- wires inside the cord, and connect it. I did that and i am getting no sound from my subwoofer. Any ideas??

Upload
Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11346

Stop talking to those people!!!

You have two options.

1) Buy a new subwoofer that has the correct inputs and a built in amplifier. You need a real subwoofer anyway. Where did this one come from? I assume a HTIB system. It is not a "subwoofer". It is a cheap driver in a cheap box. Buy the real thing. Line level outputs from the receiver are meant to feed an amplifier. You have no amplifier for this subwoofer. It won't make noise without an amplifier. Buy a real subwoofer or as close as you can afford. Give this "subwoofer" away, it is useless with your new receiver.

2) "the inputs on the back of my subwoofer only take the +/- speaker wire and the output on the back of my A/V only give you the monstercable output."

So, what, you bought a receiver that doesn't have speaker outputs? You can run the cables from one, only one, speaker output to these connectors on this "subwoofer". It will make noise. This will be similar to running your car on a doughnut tire without enough air pressure. It will be very unpleasant to do so and you'll wish you hadn't in short order - but it will make noise. Until you try to outsmart me and connect the outputs from both speakers thinking that will make things better.

It won't.

It will blow up your new receiver and then you'll still have to buy a real subwoofer and get your new receiver fixed.

If I were you, I'd take option #1.

Post Number: 2
Ok gotcha. I guess Im buying all new speakers and sub. Yes this was from a 5.1 HTIB. My 5.1 reciever blew after about 5 years of working perfectly. So i bought this new pioneer reciever to try to replace it without buying new speakers. Im a college student on a budget, but i guess i will have to buy some new speakers set. Any recommendations?

Username: Simi

Post Number: 2
Hi

I am getting a message "Signal is weak" on Captiveworks CW600-S. please help me out i trid to turn it off and on again but i didnt work
Any help would be much appreciated.
Captiveworks CW600-S.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11348

MF - Post your question in the "speakers" section. Include a possible price range and what you might be considering. Any help with preferences for sound quality would be helpful. If not that, what type of movies and music will you play?

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 222
MF- Just buy an HSU- STF-1 subwoofer and be done with this. The HTIB speakers might be OK. Jan is right- what you are showing a picture of is not a subwoofer. If the speakers similarly are a connection disaster made only to work with the HTIB receiver, then just find a cheap set of speakers and go with a 2.1 set up. Its fine for college budget, and if you live in a dorm, expensive stuff isnt recommended. An example of entry level decent pair of speakers for HT in a 2.1 environment would be Klipsch rf-15s or 25s. Not great but with the entry level HSU sub can make for an impressive movie experience, way above what you had with HTIB set up.

Dont let the classroom get in the way of your education.

Post Number: 3
After looking around a little bit, this set from 6th Ave is said to be very good quality. Im thinking it will go well with my 7.1...I dont think it listed how many total watts this system has or what level it is (5.1, 6.1 etc)...but im pretty sure it will work with my reciever. Any thoughts??http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=PRDCINEMA70CT

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 223
Yes. The sub only extends to 50 HZ. Thats not truely bass frequency to be honest. I have an Energy sub that goes to 32 hz--unused in a clothing closet somewhere for comparison.

Anyway, if you want a package on a good system for that money or less, simply go to hsuresearch.com and look at their Ventriloquist package. AScendacoustics may also have a package deal that fits the budget.

In HT, I find that subwoofers make a big difference.

Post Number: 4
to tell you the truth, while i DO care about sound quality, my system is in a smallish room and even the "fake" subwoofer i had before resonated throughoutt the house and people were always telling me to turn it down when it was even on the lowest settings.....so im not all that concerned about having a "true bass frequency". Aside from the bass frequency, any other opinions on how this would work with my setup?

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 717
Lots of time folks will tell you to turn it down due to the distortion the sound is carrying, even at low levels. It is painful to listen to.

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 224
Frequency and volume are not identical. If you get a "subwoofer" that doesnt go below 50, you simply wont hear any bass frequencies because you wont have any speakers that can produce the audio signal on the DVD.

My mains in my HT go to 45 HZ for instance. If I didnt have a sub I would set the receiver to large and just listen through the mains and would be hearing frequencies not accessible by a "sub" that extends only to 50 HZ.

Both of the websites I references have much higher quality speakers than the package you linked, irregardless of subs, for similar monies.

Good Luck.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 943
Honestly, I do not find that speaker package to be that bad at all for a $500 HTIB. True, the bass isn't the lowest, but that sub is similar to the PDR-8 (which I own), and it plays down into the upper 30's. The 50Hz that you all are referencing is the variable crossover number. It isn't the greatest sub I have heard by a longshot, but I had it in a room that was too large.

The speakers themselves are also fine performers for the size. I thought they were a bit on the bright side, but most of the mini speakers that I have heard are.

Would I buy it? I don't think so. I am not that into home theater, and would most likely save money and buy a pair of better sounding Paradigm Atoms (which I already own).}
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us