Which amplifier for closed enclosure???

Username: Pongorobert

Post Number: 2
I have a pair of 3-way speakers with sealed enclosure. I don't know the specifications. They are connected to a 2x75W/8 Ohm Technics. I would like to buy a new amplifier or receiver. I need power for loud listening, I like neutral and dry sound.
I made a list of my favourites, any comment would be great:

- Denon PMA-700AE*
- Denon DRA-700AE
- HK 3480
- Marantz PM7001
- NAD C352
- Rotel RA-05
- Yamaha RX-497

* Only on Denon PMA-700AE's rear panel says "Made in Japan", on the others is China, Malaysia, etc. I don't know if that matters at all in today's global industry?

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 398
Not really. Out of the models you listed, the Denon would be my least favorite. H/K would be a dark sound, NAD warm, Rotel detailed and a tad bright, Yamaha bright, Marantz perhaps you could say Dry, Denon....i dunno. If its possible, listen to a few. If power is a concern, Rotel and NAD.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11266

It would be best to know the specifications on your speakers. "Sealed enclosure" means little other than they are less likely to be as efficient as a vented enclosure. You should know the low impedance point and actual measurement of your speakers. Without this, choosing an amplifier is likely to result in less than stellar performance. If you can find information regarding the electrical phase angle of the speaker, this would also be beneficial toward choosing the correct amplifier as impedance and phase indicate how much current the speaker will require. Finally, at the least you must know the stated efficiency of the speaker. If you are interested in loud volumes levels, this number will be crucial to how loud any amplifier can go with a particular pair of speakers. An 85dB efficient speaker will require twice the amount of power as an 88dB speaker and the lower efficiency speaker is less likely to withsatnd the additional power when you push it to its limits. Without any of this information, you should buy the amplifier that has the highest real world power (not necessarily on paper power) and the highest current delivery. On those qualities alone, my choice would be either the HK or the Rotel.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us