Musical Fidelity A5

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1557
Does anyone have experience with the MF A5 amp. There is a new one on Ebay (from Singapore) and though I doubt I could get it for the amount I'm willing to go, one never knows. However, I have no chance of hearing one locally and I'm wondering what sort of benefits I would get stepping up from my NAD combo (click on my moniker for related equipment). Any info helpful, thanks.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1559
Bumpity Bump!

Anyone?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11225

Notes would finally start and stop correctly.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8572
Aside from our collegue's disdain for NAD after the 3020, what are you missing now that might be rectified by placing the MF A5 in front of your Quads?

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1561
My Rega dealer is also a NAD agent among many other brands and he too, while applauding my pre/power combo for sound/value, also suggests it could be slightly restrictive musically. That's not to say I am not happy with it - on the contrary, but if I can swing an amp that will provide more quality (read better musically) with a small outlay (if any) with the on-sale of the NAD gear, I'd be willing to try it - and re-sell it if it's not worthwhile. If the bids get too high, then I'm outa there.

I'd sure like to hear notes that starts and stop correctly. My NAD needs new plugs and brake linings obviously. :-)

I was also looking at a Bryston 4st (I think) but it doesn't have provision for my HT 2 Main channels like the NAD C272 and MFA5.

But the point is not what I think I'm missing, it's what am I missing - if anything - with this NAD gear. Anything to add? Anyone else?

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4740
Interesting, M.R. The reviewers like the A5. Careful with the volume control!

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/products/a5/a5int.html

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11228

Ooooohooh, that smiley face took a beating when you placed that "-" where you did.

" ... he too, while applauding my pre/power combo for sound/value, also suggests it could be slightly restrictive musically."

So why aren't you believing him? I probably shouldn't say anything because I'm tired tonight but ...

You have people telling you that you can do better than NAD. Why aren't you believing any of us? I assume your dealer is telling you Rega is going to be more satisfying than NAD. So, try Rega. If the Bryston doesn't have the ins and outs you need, don't consider the Bryston. The MF gear is better than the NAD. What am I missing?

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 360
No matter what you buy M.R. there is always something "better". If you happy with what you have now, and like the way it sounds, close the eyes, and leave it. Your ears are obviously telling you that they want something more. As far as all this Rega talk, I am going to listen to some this weekend to kill all the buzz. Im sure I will like the cd players. How much better are the integrated amps and such going to be??ahhh I dunno. The MF products I would hope are better than NAD considering the price range difference.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1563
John, yes it is well reviewed, but there's reviewers and there's reviewers. And I'm not that experienced with them to take what they say for gospel. I don't like buying gear unheard, but if I can get in/or out without too much financial damage, it may be worth giving it a go.

Jan, thanks. I've never suggested I can't do better than NAD, I know there's a lot much better, and if I had the money there's some Rega gear that I'd really love also. My dealer also said there stuff around that's as good as and costs much less than "those big American amps" though not specifically Rega. I'm only considering this MF on a 'depends what it will cost' basis.

You're not missing anything except an explanation of the difference - if the non hearing of notes starting and stopping on the NAD C162/C272 combo is a valid answer and all you can offer well I appreciate it and will certainly take that into consideration.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1564
Nick, thanks, I appreciate your post and agree with you, but . . . (see above).

Silver Member

Post Number: 361
Here is an interesting thread. Although the MF X-150 is not a fair comparison to the Amp you are looking at. But thought I would post it.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/150073.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 362
"My dealer also said there stuff around that's as good as and costs much less than "those big American amps""

ahhh thank you M.R. Your dealer is a smart man. Im going no further with that.lol.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11230

I can offer more but it won't make any difference. You can read what the reviewers say but it too won't make any difference. You've got to hear the difference yourself and then you have to justify the price. But I think buying something just because it's a good price without the opportunity to hear it first is not a wise move. But I could be wrong. I own two of those big American amps. And I bet big American amps are expensive in Australia. That too would be no reason to buy something, just because it costs less to ship halfway around the world.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1566
That's the problem, they are darn expensive here in Aus. I agree with the not wise move bit, that's why it depends on price - whether or not I could unload it if necessary. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Sukhoi30

New Zealand

Post Number: 159
M.R

I never owned a A5, but have heard it on a few occasions.
It is in a very different class than the NADs, atleast a couple of notches higher even A3.5 and especially the A5, i have heard the MF stuff with some dynaudio speakers and KEF speakers.
Sounds powerfull and full even while driving a pair of dyn 42, images very well. Musical? YES.
It wont be a love at first sight but eventually you would fall in love with what it does.
They are a nice match with Dyns especially the countours
Since you like Quads and NADs, it is very likely that you will love this amp.
If i had a oppurtunity i would love to have it in my bedroom, but in this part of the world too many MF fans i guess and is seldom to be seen on a discounted price and is on the expensive side.

Cheers

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1567
Thanks for the info Saurabh, I'm yet to win the bid, but I feel it may end up more than I can afford. We'll see.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5331
I must chime in I suppose. The more I listen to MF gear the less I like it. It has an unmusical feel to me. There are often all of the audiophile things happening like "air" and "presence", however what seems to be missing is the drive that makes music...music, at least to me. For very little money it may be a good buy but I would never buy it new.

Silver Member

Post Number: 364
M.R. I looked at a bunch of reviews and forums of people talking about the MF stuff. Basically A LOT of people feel the same way Art does. Ive never heard the stuff myself, and perhaps you will love it. A lot of people feel the MF stuff makes the music sound too "transitory" or "electronic" sounding. If that makes sense. So buying it without hearing it may be a bad idea. Unless you get it for a price where you can re-sell it and make money off of it.Cheers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8584
If it can be had at a price that can be recovered if you do not like it, then bid up to there.
No MF dealers around at all?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11231

So, the question is not whether Musical Fidelity gear is better than the NAD, whether you will like what you hear, or whether buying something without an audition is a wise move.

The question is; can you recoup your investment?

Are we to suggest a ceiling for your bid? Sorry, I'm once again missing the point.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8589
I think the point is that MR would like to try a high end piece.
However, selling his sailboat to be able to do so would not seem like a good idea at the moment.

I would like a Ferrari. However, unless one becomes available for 30k, it is too difficult for me.
If I could get it for 30k, then I would buy it.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1568
Thanks guys, I appreciate your input. As far as selling the farm goes, I'm suggesting a ceiling for my bid - all by myself. No sailboat sales Nuck. I thought I'd made that point. However, as I stated, I think the bidding will go too high for me and if so, no big loss. As far as reviews go - it's about the same with most gear bar a few brands: many like it, many don't. If I happen to win, it will be at a price I can re-sell it or at a price I can sell the NADs for (NAD is very popular o ebay here).

Funny thing, today I bid on a new Naim CD5i and won it for a ridiculously low price - same thing, if I don't like it better than the Apollo, I'll relist it, and if I do I'll sell the Apollo and most likely have a bit left over for a few jelly beans.

And there is very little in Audio names to audition here on the coast. Mostly it's HT, HT and HT.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11235

"Funny thing, today I bid on a new Naim CD5i and won it for a ridiculously low price - same thing, if I don't like it better than the Apollo, I'll relist it, and if I do I'll sell the Apollo ... "

Hmmmm, sounds like what probably happened to a stray dog I once picked up off the street. He was a good dog too, just not what somebody wanted once they got him home. Well, good luck. I hope the amp doesn't peee on your rugs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8595
Attaboy, MR!
Can't wait to see how that pans out.
It'll be great, I await your opinions on that highly respected player.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1570
Whatever you're taking JV, I don't want any.

Nuck, I'll sure let you know. I think it will be a close match.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11238

So constantly reboxed merchandise that everyone is trying to make a few bucks on has replaced dealer support.

Interesting.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11240

Rantz - Why don't you check out a Perraux integrated? They're designed and built in New Zealand so the relative cost should be lower than anything shipped from China or those BIGASS American amps. They sound very good with reliability as good as any company. You buy it once and then don't care what anyone else thinks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8603
or bigazz canadian stuff

Gold Member

Post Number: 8604
on a slow boat

Gold Member

Post Number: 8605
I think MR has his sights set on a very nice unit, let's see how the auction pans out.

I outbid him by 3 bucks.

Silver Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 173
What about Plinus that is also a kiwi brand

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1571
Perraux and Plinius are very expensive too (even on ebay) when it comes to power. I also have to think of the suitable inputs from my avr's preouts. The MF is brand new, not refurbished, not a second - new. It will come from Singapore if, and a big if I think, I win the auction with my limit.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8609
OK, 3 more bucks.

Silver Member
Username: Sukhoi30

New Zealand

Post Number: 160
ART i can see where you are coming from since you have a complete Rega gear.
I dont know if i will do justice describing MF sound but IMHO its opposite of Naim/Densen/Rega if that makes sense,
It does what naim/rega wouldnt, but doesnt do what Naim does.
If you like Vocals - its hard to beat.

Plinius and Perreaux are both awesome Brands, id love to have a Plinius.

Here again we have 2 groups, die hard Perreaux and Die Hard Plinius.

Divided we stand :-)

Silver Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 174
I would love Plinius(never heard them just of them but man they look sweet) to but hey everything in time........

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5334
You are exactly right Saurabh, however even within MF's school of sound I don't think they measure up to the competition.....I prefer Simaudio just to name one....

Gold Member

Post Number: 8613
Moooooooooooon.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2361
In the shop, we like to call MF by another name:

Musical Fatality...

:-)

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1574
Why is that, Frank? Is it because it kills the other brands?

Could you at least explain to me, like no one else has yet done, what it is that the MF A5 integrated amp does that offends or doesn't do what other amps can?

I've read many, many high praises for this amp as well as those comments from people whom it doesn't appeal. But I'd sure like some real and valuable critique from some of the more 'experienced' audophiles on this forum.

Anyhow, I missed out on the A5 amp, it went for $800AU more than my limit. It was a very popular item and the bidding was frantic. }

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5341
"The more I listen to MF gear the less I like it. It has an unmusical feel to me. There are often all of the audiophile things happening like "air" and "presence", however what seems to be missing is the drive that makes music...music, at least to me. For very little money it may be a good buy but I would never buy it new."

I did explain what I meant MR. It may not have been satisfactory and that I can understand, but I did take the time to explain what bothers me with the MF house sound. It has a lightweight presentation with virtually no drive or better yet no swagger. Zero PRaT, all front and no back...that's the best I can do on limited time...

If you really wanted it I'm sorry you didn't get it...I got beat on 3 auctions yesterday....but I won 1...yippie!

Now I'll take my lack (30 yrs) of experience and hit the hay!

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1575
Art, my apologies I didn't mean you or that what you wrote was not real or valuable; on the contrary. I would like something more from others who have given no explanation with their critique. I sorry I lost you in my trying to be tactful.

I would have liked the amp as it has some connection benefits that many others don't and only for a price I could recoup my money easily. It's no biggie. Glad you had a win.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2363
MR

In part, I was being facetiously flippant. It's been some years since I listened to MF directly against the competition. On its own I've heard it only in unfamiliar surroundings.

Musically, my impressions of MF remain fairly consistent. I find it largely unengaging, all bombast and no emotion.

As a company, I have less respect for MF. It seems to me that Antony Michaelson is consistent in only one respect. He changes his approach on a regular and consistent timeframe, chopping and changing product very frequently, thereby keeping his products in the magazines for review as latest and greatest. It's almost like change for change's sake, rather than building longevity into them. It's everything that was wrong with HiFi in the eighties...

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1576
Thanks Frank, that's what I want. Now, it you and Art that are saying similar things. It seems difficult to replace the NAD combo for something more worthwhile without losing the house here.

There's things like Bryston 4bST power amps etc but they have no inputs for inclusion into HT or MC surround music. Maybe I'll need to settle for something like that and have an extra pair of speaker wires to change out when switching formats.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2367
MR,

I get the impression that Art and I are largely on the same page in overall flavour, just slightly different in final execution. Art and I disagree on choice of speakers and cables for his system for example, but the way music is made we are pretty much agreed on I think, which could account for our view of the MF presentation. I do not know if his view on Antony Michaelson's politics is the same...

There are other brands around which cope well in AV scenarios by providing a bypass or unity gain feature in their amps/preamps. Naturally I know British brands best - Naim Audio, Arcam, Chord Electronics all provide this kind of facility.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1583
I certainly don't discount what you guys think, but it's very difficult when there's so little around around to audition - let alone audition at home. There are a couple of audio shops around here and more of course in Brisbane but most don't stock much of the brands they advertise. It's also difficult when there are so many very favourable reviews of a product when other people you come to know whose listening habits and views tell a different story.

There's the one big issue especially in upgrading the NAD gear and that's money and that's why I have been looking to Ebay rather than new - that if I can pay the right price I could resell if not suitable. While I like the NAD combo very much (and believe it's very hard to beat for the money) others say there's much better and I myself feel at times that there is something trying to get throught my Quads from the Apollo that's being held back. Maybe those notes that don't start and stop correctly.

Without spending great gobs of money I want to end up with a system that I can say once and for all - "this is it, this is want I want to live with for a long, long time."

So does my wife.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5346
I agree with Frank on both our areas of agreement. Especially relative to the comment on the way music is made.

I think Frank likes a little hotter presentation than I do with just a bit more air, I'm into a little drier presentation, just a bit more earthy if you will.

MR your kind of running in to that age old problem of diminishing returns. You'll have spend considerably more for just a bit more performance...probably not any way out of it. May want to settle in for awhile and listen and then go out and get an idea of what} amps will work with your speakers and source and head that direction. You'd have alot more options with just 2 channel, but then you already know that.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1584
Yeah Art thanks, I do understand the problem of dimishing returns. And going out to compare amps as stated, is easier said than done here.

Back to the first point, the Naim CD51 arrived and have just played a few tracks. The CD5i here new is about $2800AU compared to $1700AU (now) for the Apollo - Okay, I'll keep you guessing, although I very much like what I'm hearing on first impressions, I will post more later in the Naim & Apollo CD players thread when I've heard more.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 686
M.R. Me thinks it's time you redirect your attention to your room.

I know it sounds as boring as the Scarlet Letter or Withering Heights but there really is significant bang for the buck in getting your room right. Just because it is hocus-pocus (who knows what you need and where) doesn't mean it is not the next best upgrade for you. IMHO.

Oh, BTW, the bigger challenge is WAF, which I most seriously ignored in the worst way. (see Nuck's post regarding my room. LOL)

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1587
Mike, I don't have a problem with our music only that I know it can be bettered with the right gear. The room is not really a problem, me thinks, but even if it were, the WAF would rule especially since the W has been very obliging so far. And when you're on - no, make that: so why upset the apple cart?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8644
And there, folks, speaks a wise man.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1623
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/395519.html

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 204
FIrst Danman then M.R, everyone is jumping the NAD ship!!! Who is next?

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1633
Hang on there, un' - don't despair, I just got a M55.

Silver Member

Post Number: 616
Yes indeed. I hear the M55 is a nice universal player. Very nice.

Silver Member

Post Number: 617
Nobody's jumping Un. Give it time dude. U just wait.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1634
While the M55 is good for music, and video is good especially using component, but it's very short on features and conveniences and has a few glitches.

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 205
" but it's very short on features and conveniences and has a few glitches".

See, back on board and already thinking about leaving!

Makes me want to throw my c272 out the window. Though I would not have an amp, and am not in a position to spend to get a better one. Oh, and it's a really good amp.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1636
Un'
I think the C272 (and C162) are brilliant for the money. The retail for the MFA5 here is twice the price. While very, very good, it's not twice as good.

There is a small glitch also with the C272, it suffers a channel drop out when switching from variable input to fixed input. A toggle or two back and forth fixes it, but I'm getting it fixed under warranty before I sell it.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1639
Well we've been living with the MFA5 amp for almost week now and all I can say is that I can't believe what it has done for our music. I kid you not - this amp is even a better upgrade than the NAD C542 to the Apollo or Naim CD5i. Even my wife wholeheartedly agrees. Disregarding all the hifi speak to describe how well the marriage of this amp is to the rest of our gear, I can only say categorically that our music now sounds so incredibly REAL as if the vocalists/musicians and instruments are in our room or we in theirs. I thought I had experinced this before, but I was very, very wrong. I cannot recommend an audition of this amp highly enough. We are now hearing our music like never before. It's a new sensation. I really think I'm there - within the constraints of our fiscal position that is. Sure there is better - but at what cost?

Very, very highly recommended!

Now it's another well deserved week at glorious Byron Bay for Mrs Rantz. Less so for myself I know, but looking forward to it all the same.

Ah, the price we pay. LOL!

Username: Snapcat

Post Number: 5
M.R.,

Which cdp seems to combine best with the MF A5 for you, the Apollo or Naim?

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1669
Snapcat, the Naim has the more engaging flavour for me regardless of the amp. But again, both are excellent players and the choice is subjective.

Post Number: 6
Thanks M.R.

You mentioned that the NAD-to-MF upgrade was much more significant than the NAD-to-Apollo or Naim upgrade. Did you maintain the big lower midrange/upper bass of the NAD? - that seems to me to give the 'big' sound for NAD, in addition to lower registers...
How about longer term listening... does it wear on you at all?

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1681
Snap,

There's no fatique at all with long term listening. The mids and bass are well catered (like the NAD) with the A5, it's just more open and clean sounding.

Post Number: 7
Thanks M.R.
Your info has motivated me to make the big drive tomorrow and listen to some Rega, NAD, and Mac stuff. No MF A5, but your review puts it high on my list to check out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9136
Happy shopping, snap.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us