Upgrading from Yamaha RX-2600 with 5-7K to spend?

Username: Ferrari

Post Number: 3
Hello-

I currently have a Yamaha RX-2600 with KEF KHT9000 (3 on wall) plus 2 KEF Surrounds (8000's) and a Velodyne DPS-12 Sub. I tend to run 5 channel sound and while i like the Yamaha it will cut off (shut down) at about 80% max volume when listening to rock music or loud music in general. I want something that can play alot louder since the KEF's seem like they need more power in 2 Channel and definitely in 5 Channel mode. I also will be upgrading to a Pioneer Plasma Kuro so i will still need HDMI 1080P switching. So since my Yamaha won't pass a 1080P signal and will bomb out if the volume goes to high i guess i am now looking at seperates. I have seen the ADCOM GTP- 870 HD/ GFA-7707 line and also a little bit of the Anthem series. If you had my config and was looking to spend about 7K tops keeping the speaker setup and needing HDMI pass thru what would you suggest? Or can you recommend a reciever that can handle the power loads and play loud with 1080P switching- Thanks in advance.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11151

Oh, I see you posted this everywhere on the forum. How many forums did you post on?

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1220
In my opinion the Yamaha's feature set and pre-amp section are pretty decent.

Don't worry too much about 1080p pass through as you can easily split the HDMI signal before the receiver and get the best of all.

I'd look at 2 channels of seperate amp to take the strain off the receiver - the Yammie should be able to run the centre and surrounds, no?

I run a Harman Kardon AVR430 into a Yorkville AP800 (200x2) to power a Polk 5.1 and adding the amp really opened the whole system up, more than enough power now for anything I throw at it.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html

2 of the above for $650 total just saved you $5000 and should deliver what your looking for.

Username: Ferrari

Post Number: 9
Thanks i will take a look.

Byron

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11155

Look here; https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/381589.html, also. This post doesn't require three separate threads with various answers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us