Anyone have any comments on Yamaha rx-797 receiver?

Username: Ctrulock

Post Number: 5
Observations or comparisions? On the powerand sond? Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 100
its not what we think, its what you think, one person may say it sucks, and another may say its awsome.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 226
I have the rx-497 (the next model down from the 797, I think). I'm actually quite happy with it. Plenty of power, and it's not "bright" sounding like a lot of people describe the Yamaha sound as.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8356
I don't listen to receivers much any more, but quite a few comments on the newer rx-xx7(last release) of Yammy receivers is quite good.

And yes, they were bright to me before.

Art has heard a few, and likes them.
Anybody else?

Silver Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 158
thats intresting dave how would or do these receivers compare to the hk stereo receivers???

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5263
Actually I like the RX-V series AVR's for their features...but use them mainly as processors and to power rear channels. I also like the vintage Yamaha stereo receivers. Can't really tell you about the model that you are asking about however.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 228
The 497 has pretty much everything I need in a receiver for a simple, secondary system (I have mine in my gym).

It has "pure direct" which bypasses the tone controls and also has a subwoofer pre-out and this particular unit is rated at 75 watts. Who knows if this is accurate or not, but I can tell you it has plenty of power and goes really loud with no clipping or distortion at all.

I mentioned before that it doesn't have that stereotypical (no pun intended) Yamaha "bright" sound. In fact, it sounds deep and warm to me, but that may be because I have it running through warm sounding speakers (PSBs and Tannoys).

Username: Ctrulock

Post Number: 7
I love the 797 it has great sound into my polk rti 6's and psw12 up to 12:30 volume (which is seriously loud). Clips at about 1 oclock. So nice and warm at low volume with the variable loudness control. I dare you to find a beter 2 ch. receiver at 500$ american. And don't give me that outlaw bs cause they are basically bose. Marketing on outlaw totally eclipes there cost per unit! This is a serious high current unit. Just look inside the top and you see 2 giant heatsinks, plus 2 high quality caps. Not to mention the oversized power supply/transformer. Ok now flame me i'm ready!

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1222
What Outlaw gear have you heard that entitles you to these wild and insane conclusions? How would an internet based CE company possibly survive without any marketing?

How about the Harman Kardon HK-3380/3480 receivers? Here's one for $221.

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-HK3480-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B0001FI49I

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 529
My parents got the lowest of the yamaha serious last time 9020 or whatever. and really is junk! doesnt even weight as much as the power supply in my h/k.There is no real bottom end its just kinda basic works for them I guess. Charles have you ever really looked into Outlaw gear? go into there forum and look at some of the pictures of there gear doesnt look like no bose build quality there.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 530
flame me away its late 4:46 AM i'm very tierd

in stead of serious i ment series !

Also I was looking into yamaha stuff before H/K so I dont think all there stuff is junk i got to mono blokcs with are nice.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5272
I take it you bought the Yammie Charles. Good for you, listen to your ears and not the hype. Enjoy!

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 161
Be wary of those hk receivers of amazon I bought got it shipped all the way here to the caribbean unfortunately it was not 'new' looked like it was refurbished or something performed fine just some comestic flaws somewhat disappointing only prob is that I live all the way here so shipping it back would be a hassle not worthwhile at all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8409
Chico, it must be tough having to order all the time, rather than by choice.

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 163
Yup trying to do a little more well 'research' this time around but once again the i'm missing out on the most important thing a real at home audition!!!! Listening for a week or so at home would be perfect!!! That really sucks, I miss toronto at least i could audition stuff in the store. I was so excited when I found a local Revel Parasound, and mark levingston dealor. Finally deliverance but guess what. Not even a demo room!!! None of the stuff i wanted to hear they even have in stock. Its like me taking a gamble and well even paying more!! The good news is i found a home for my hk3380 and my paradigm minis by nov they will be gone to my dad lol.

What i'm wondering is how good is the rotel rx-1052 is it worth that price tag, will it pair nicely with pair of era d5(demo's) and later the other bookshelf i've got my eye(not my ear on) the Dynaudio 140. I'm between that and the M22 for a 2 setup. Or should i save cash get a marantz 4021+A23 combo.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8452
It don't seem right to drive the 140's with a receiver, but my opinion may be out of date.
New gear is getting ridicuously good very quickly.
I have only heard the 140's with amps, and once with a Cary high powered 300b tube amp.That was nice with a Cary tube cdp.
At first blush, I would guess that the Dyn's would eat anything shy.
And add 20% for stands for the 140's.Very rigid stands.

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 242
My little town has only one hifi store and the box stores. When I was shopping for speakers I listened to the B&W on their Yamaha receivers. They also sell Rotel but only have it set up on one pair of high end B&W speakers. Everything else in the store is on the Yamaha. Maybe not the best way to sell speakers but I was mildly surprised at the sound of the Yamahas, but went away a Rotel fan. Still that may not have been fair because it was driving better speakers.
So no real A-B comparisons took place.

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 164
Would the A23 do the 140's justice nuck?? has anyone compared the Revel M22 with the 140 How are these for music??? From what i'm reading the 140 sounds like its what i'm looking for.

Silver Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 122
>New gear is getting ridicuously good very quickly.

This is true. Picked up a, of all things, Cambridge Audio 840A a week ago. Even better than the Reviews.

Unflippin' real. Will post a review when I find the time.

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 167
what setup are you running with it??? Actually from what i've been told the 840 has always been pretty darn good. Especially when you compare it to competition in its price range

Silver Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 124
Am running Snell E5 mains and matching center. This was a toss-up between Dynaudio 70's at the time. The Snells, I think, were designed by Kevin Voecks with the rear firing tweeter. He's now over at Revel and, yes, some of the Revel headliners have the rear tweeter.

The surrounds are Original Advents; an inexpensive Yamaha SACD player. The Cambridge 840A has a HT "pass through" and integrates to a Yamaha RXV1600 for HT; an inexpensive Velodyne sub for HT whomp. I would not do any sub for 2 channel music with the Snells.

Follow this UK link and the links on the board for details:
http://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum7/6370.html

The Yamaha does HT and the 840A does the straight ahead stereo. Don't want to gush, but the 840A is scary - scary smooth, detailed and live. Will post a review this weekend.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8471
Looking forward to that JAW

Bronze Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 57
Me too.

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 172
Since this thread was talking about stereo receivers....Just a quick question Does anyone here own an Outlaw RR2150. They more I look at the more its growing on me :-). Just wondering how it compares with the MH Mavern, and the Rotel rx1052
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us