Is HDMI a must have now?

Bronze Member
Username: Stangjason

Post Number: 65
I'm shopping for a receiver and I read someone say that HDMI is a must have in 2 years when buying a reciever because of new producer formats or something. Is this true? What if I run the HDMI from my DVD player to my TV and the same with my cable box. All sound goes through an optical cable from my TV to the receiver.

Is HDMI still a must with my receiver?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8039
Seeing as the pushers of HDMI can't decide between themselves on the final configuration, I would not care a whit about it, myself.
Keeping the A and V seperate gives you a chance to look at some receivers with a few bucks in the audio, instead of the 'hockey card in the spokes' of Video.

Bronze Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 83
lol well said Nuck. I am a hug fan of keeping the Audio and the Video totally seperate as well. When I shop for a receiver or pre-amp I pretty much look for the best sound in my price range. Sound Sound Sound Stang. Cheers buddy.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 807
Depends on how concerned you are about high def and getting the "most" out of it.

If you're currently running on a 22" TV and $200 speakers, I'd say not to worry a heck of a lot about it. DVD movies aren't going to suddenly disappear in 2 years; too big of an installed base. Look how long it took to phase out VHS.

If you're running a little more cutting edge setup with an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player, massive projection screen, high end sound system, etc, then yeah, its worthwhile to have something that can deal with HDMI.

Bronze Member
Username: Stangjason

Post Number: 66
Well my TV is a 50" plasma and I do plan an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player some day but since I should be able to run my optical cables straight from them to the receiver I don't really see myself losing any sound quality by not using HDMI.

I've come to the conclusion to sacrifice HDMI for sound quality by getting an H/K 635 which I will hopefully have hooked up tonight.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 85
Exactly. I have the Sony BDP-S1 blu ray player connected via HDMI to the TV, and for audio it is connected with a Digital COAX AND 5.1ch output for the uncompressed audio to the NAD receiver.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 808
I don't believe digital coax or optical pass true uncompressed PCM 5.1. This will be another advantage for HDMI. How much of an advantage though, I couldn't say.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 88
Your right, they don't. But what you can do is what I did. My NAD receiver doesn't have HDMI either so I took 3 RCA cables and went straight out of my Blu-Ray players 5.1ch Output to my receiver 7.1ch Input. That also does the Uncompressed audio like the HDMI. All the HD players give you two options for that. Stang your H/K does have 7.1 ch Input on the back so this could be your option for uncompressed audio. I watched Black Hawk Down last night in the Uncompressed PCM and I was sweating.lol. Cheers.

Bronze Member
Username: Hodedofome

TX USA

Post Number: 79
Not all HD players have 5.1 or 7.1 analog out, only the high-end HD-DVD and most of the Blu-Ray ones have that.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 90
I thought we were talking about Blu-Ray players and HD-DVD players? Sorry, I didn't mean Up-converting players or add on players such as the Xbox 360 player. All Sony, Pioneer, Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic full 1080p Blu-Ray or HD-DVD players have 5.1ch Output connections. Needless to say, you will have to buy one of these with a 5.1ch Ouput section.

Bronze Member
Username: Hodedofome

TX USA

Post Number: 80
I wasn't speaking of the 360 player or upconverting players either. Look at the Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvd/product.asp?model=HD-A2 do you see 5.1 ch analog outs? No, it only has 2ch analog outs. You have to buy the HD-XA2 ($799) to get 5.1ch analog outs. So the ONLY way to get the new audio formats on the HD-DVD side is to buy the high-end HD-DVD players, like I said before.

Most of the Blu-Ray players have 5.1ch analog outs though.

Samsung will be coming out with a combo player at the end of this year with 7.1ch analog outputs for both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, but it'll retail for like $1100.

This is all a moot point if someone doesn't care about the new audio formats. If all they want is regular Dolby Digital or DTS then the optical connection is all you need.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 91
Right on. I didn't know that Toshiba did not have the outputs. Good to know. It would be a shame if StangJason could not benefit from Uncompressed audio if he were to buy a blu-ray player in the future. So lets hope if he does, not having HDMI that he gets one with 5.1 or 7.1ch output. The newer, cheaper Sony has it(599.99 CDN), perhaps that is an option for him. Or perhaps by the time he buys one they will be at Walmart for 50 dollars.LOL. I like the idea of the new Samsung having that 7.1ch output. Also good to know.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us