Sub firing by itself

Anonymous
Help! It seems my KLH subwoofer pops or fires by itself, especially during quiet passages. Can hear it fluttering. any hints?

C. B.
My BIC subwoofer is doing this also? It "pops" occasionally, usually during quiet times etc. on movies

Did you ever get any information about what causes this? Thanks for the help.

Auto on and off some sub auto shutdown on low passage sound after 3 minutes some 15 minute my 2 sub my merak MS15" shutdown after 15 minutes
My erikson shutdown after 10 minutes

I was wondering is the Merak ms15 15" subwoofer from Radioshack any good???, I like rap music so I need a high power sub that wont distort or flutter. Im using a Pioneer Elite Receiver that doesnt make much bass in Pro-logic 2 so i was considering a subwoofer for my home theater system.E-mail me with info plz. thanks

Anonymous
My subwoofer pops but it didn't during a quiet point in a movie it also did it while I was playing music...
I don't have feet on mine and it sits on carpet could static build up do it or what could be causing this to happen???

Anonymous
somebody got to help us.. My KLH powered subwoofer keeps on poping during movies. I can listen to cd's and the bass is fine, but with DVD's I have to turn it off, Why????????????

Jay
get a Cerwin Vega sub and you won't have that problem! :)

Derek
I lean towards the auto on/off picking up some subsonic information in your DVDs. The sub may be turning on (one pop) or trying to reproduce a very low note that it can't produce (a bottoming out rattle). It may be a design flaw and since most receivers these days don't have subsonic filters, your only choice is to replace the sub.

Anthony
No offense, but most of these subs may be popping because they are NOT good quality. The auto on and auto off could be the reason for that, but my sub is a JBL sub with auto on and auto off and that feature never makes it pop. ALTHOUGH, another thing to consider with popping, make sure your sub isn't positioned to close to anything that would have prodominant electromagnetic waves comming in. For example, most primarily, if you have a cell phone within a couple of feet (1-3) of a sub the incoming waves that a cell phone recieves will cause an invisible electrical disturbance and in essence it will activate the sub causing the popping noise. If this is the scenario, the only way to get around that ever happening is to spend well over $1000 on a subwoofer with insane shielding.

me
the problem is that you have a KLH sub.

jesdaf
i have klh sub soo i replaced it thinking it will stop the "popping" but it had no effect. i still get popping with new subs

timn8ter
It would probably be more helpful to offer some things to try rather than slamming the brand name of the sub, especially when you've got nothing to be proud of either. Also, rather than interjecting with a completely off-topic question like "is this brand of sub good?" start a new thread and ask your question. I would check your connections (loose or exposed wires), gain on the sub, crossover setting, etc..Make sure that's all ok. If it happens during movies but not music that makes me think that your receiver remembers your settings for different operations. It could be that your music (CD) settings are ok but your DVD settings are not. Also, check the electrical. Are there appliances on the same circuit turning on and off?

I have the same problem with my Mission subwoofer. This has been going on for a couple of years. It was popping and ended up in smoke one day. I took it to my dealer and they sent it to Mission who installed a new subwoofer and relay. The new one was fine for a while then the popping started again, not as severe as the first one. Now I have a continual buzz in the sub. This is 1 1/2 years after it had been fixed. I am going to try another brand of subwoofer and see if that works or if it is my receiver (Denon 1700) or a electrical problem causing the popping. It should also be noted that after I have turned off the system you will hear a pop later from the sub. I guess that's when the power of the sub is turning off.

Anonymous
i have a bose radio system and i got a 12" sub installed last week. The people had a hard time installing it because of the was Bose was set up but they figuered it out after a while. but the sub make a nasty snapping sound every once in a while if you put it up. Whats this from ?

Harry Tuttle
Without knowing all your individual cases, I have heard of mobile phones and other tracking/communication devices placed on or near the subwoofer causing the pop sound.

It might not be the answer, but it is just another thing to check.

Anonymous
I got a Velodyne SPL-1000 and never experience those pooping sound. Actually, it's the 'Auto ON/OFF circuitry of the sub-amplifier that creates audible noise. In some superior design, a special circuit has been added to eliminate the
small amount of voltage and/or inrush current that goes to speaker during power ON condition.
The same as in power OFF condition as the sub amplifier output tends to be unstable.

Paul T
I have a Audiosource SW Two for around 5 years now and it has never done what you have described.. Granted it's no Velodyne but it does a fine job picking up the lower end where my B&W's miss... I would really be a bit concerned and look deeper in to the cause.... Good Luck Anon
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us