DIY Sub Design

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2502
Ok. So far I've come up with this response graph (EBS).

Hope you can read it, or at least see the gist of it.
Upload

Design Goals: Deep Extension, Good SPL and SQ and much more

So far: Solid 10hz Extension, 117dB 10hz, 120dB 20hz, 123dB 30hz with 1200w+/driver.

Max SPL by Xmax limitations - 11hz 130dB 15kw/driver (WOW, RUMBLE RUMBLE haha) , 20hz 120dB 1200w/driver , 30hz 125dB 2200w/driver

When I get this done, I hope I can have an awesome movie/music experience after completion. I still have store credit to use too. I'll be DIY'ing my mains.

Note: Design subject to change

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7482
Note: so is my response.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2504
Well everyone at Avs seems to like the idea of EBS for its SQ and SPL characteristics. The box total volume will be a bit large for the woofers though (50ft³ total), but it's worth it. It's more than worth it.

Bronze Member
Username: Leonski

Post Number: 95
When you get this done, Please put your TT on top and turn it up.
"too much is never enough:"

Silver Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 131
when i was building my EBS (12cuft, tuned to 13hz, FI Q 15" driver) i was told to smooth out the hump that appears due to tuning. I guess that because of reflections in you're room the lower end sound with actually increase dramatically. thus with that much of a peak down there it will get really really loud at that point compared to the rest of the sound.

If i were you i would head over to AVS or http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers/ and clear it with them. they really do know what they are doing.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2511
Naw I've been talking to the people at AVS for quite a while now. Thanks though.

I've read up on this for quite a while now.

I made sure to keep PPO
(my own little acronym haha) resonance >190hz, EBS slope 1.5, cone excursion peak 70-80% in ultra-port range, and aaaaalllllllllllllllll those other little things (like port outlet, enclosure bracing/building technique, etc. etc. goes on and on) . Haha don't worry.

Oh yeah, mine'll be similar, but I guess I forgot to tell you it's 2 Q18D1 drivers 50ft³ 11hz tune on an EP2500 for the proposed design. I've got plenty of time before actual materials bought and construction begun.

Yes, that's definitely true. You ALREADY have the room gain in effect and when you have a peak down low along with that it's like KABOOM...your pictures have been blown off the wall or there's a local earthquake!

Yeah, I'm starting to get tired. Haha Leo...ok...yeah...um...

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2529
I'm starting to get worried about my house...

People with subs not as powerful say it sounds like their house is breathing at full 10hz output. Scary. Someone even cracked their window..with a setup similar to the one proposed.

Movies and music shall become fun? QUITE!

Silver Member
Username: Leonski

Post Number: 158
Don't you know you can DAMAGE yourself with VLF sound? You can turn your insides into jelly, damage cartlidge and ruin your hearing.
Ask a pro, but what is lowest frequency of any musical note?
What is the lowest frequency of any 'effect'?
50ft3 is an enclosure of 4x4x3 (48ft3) not counting wall thickness and need for several ft3 of bracing, brining external vol to 55ft3, at least. Will it double as a closet?

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2568
Even if they're rhetorical questions I'll still answer... Muahahahah!

Oooh did not know. But...I can be sensible and only use it as headroom (War of the Worlds)...dynamics are GREAT.

23hz (foundation)

a few hertz, or as low as you want.

No, it won't.

I should probably lower the overall size to more like 4x3.5x3 or so because the extra volume isn't really needed so much.

Muahahahahahha I like answering questions

IN OTHER NEWS...this won't be getting built for a while. In a week or two I'll be picking up a Pioneer Elite Vsx-91txh receiver and then I'll start the big DIY project.

Thank you for the info, seriously.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 878
as much as things change.....

more they stay the same.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8562
Gavin, you mean "constant change is here to stay"?

I love Rush quotes. http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=656607
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us