Martin Logan Dynamo vs. DIY subwoofer

Bronze Member
Username: Josh784

Post Number: 27
As the stereo I am currently putting together will likely end up with a pair of bookshelf speakers, the idea of adding a subwoofer has always been in the back of my mind as a nice touch I could add down the road. It seems that I could build a fairly decent subwoofer on a budget.

I've noticed that the Martin Logan Dynamo receives a lot of praise on these forums for being a very musical subwoofer, which is exactly what I'm looking for. I believe it comes in at $400, which is also easily within my budget (when the time comes). I've spent a few hours over the last few days researching DIY subs, and the Rhythmic Audio servo kits seems like a really good way to go, and would end up costing about the same, maybe a little bit more, than the Dynamo.

Would I see a big difference between the Dynamo and the Rhythmic (or other) DIY subwoofer? The DIY subs seem to be a great way to go for home theater use, but I am not so sure they are the best way to go for purely musical enjoyment.

Thoughts?

Josh

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 565
if you are an able builder, and have done a project like that before, the servo subwoofer would most likely be a better performer, but it isn't guarenteed. I have heard some non servo units that perform just as well as servo drives.

Some audiophiles even feel that the servo drive allows for distortion.

FWIW, one of my favorite "affordable" subwoofers is the servo drive MartinLogan Grotto. These were selling for around $1000, and perform admirably. The bass is rich, tight, and deep. I have yet to hear any boom from one of these properly set up.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6789
Josh, if the price is easily within your reach; if you have the proper tools and materials available to you, and you have the time, then build one!
Remember, the proper tools include dovetail bits, corner clamps, etc., proper carpentry tools. Banging together a box is not going to make it.
Mass produced sub cab's are done with cheap(but specific) materials, cnc tooling, purpose made jigs, curing ovens, high quality adhesives etc., etc.
If you can build the box on budget, then put it side by side with a dynamo, purchased or borrowed, in your room.

Silver Member
Username: Bvan

Cape Town, Copenhagen,...

Post Number: 275
Here's one to consider building

http://www.customanalogue.com/sub_index.htm

It was the first speaker I ever built and not to difficult for a novice. Had to buy circular saw, jigsaw and electric sander but they were less than $25 each and still going strong.

I can only compare it to the Dynaudio Sub250 I owned before and tell you the Critical Q sub is better, and less than half the price. cheers

B.

Nuck, wasnt your brother going to build two of these?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6791
In fact, Bvan, he nipped off the end of his finger on the first cut and dropped the issue in disgust and embarrasment!

Silver Member

Post Number: 276
tis a shame. if he wants to set his sights a bit lower perhaps dipole open baffle subs? i only suggest that because i got 2 more 12" peerless drivers and am busy building some H-frames. a lot easier than building a box. though just as likely to loose you a finger. will have em running tomorrow.

b.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6819
B, definately interested in your results!

Silver Member

Post Number: 278
Nuck, they sounding good! not that different to the sealed one to tell the truth. maybe because the sealed one was relatively low Q.

the soundstage does seem a bit wider now perhaps. i have them running 50-35hz. I'm sure I could eq them lower but it'll be safe for now and let the sealed guy take over from there. Looking forward corner loading the sealed sub for what it will add to movies. Perhaps now I'll have a system that does both music and movies without apologies. cheers

b.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us