Volume Difference With CD Player & Phono

Bronze Member
Username: Audiomania

Muskegon, MI USA

Post Number: 24
When I play my vinyls.I have to turn the volume up higher on my receiver than when playing CD's. I get great volume with both, but was wondering if the above observation is normal or a sign of a problem? Thanks for your expertise.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9893

It's normal.

Bronze Member
Username: Audiomania

Muskegon, MI USA

Post Number: 27
Thanks...I'm relieved. I thought maybe it had to do with tone arm pressure, and I didn't really want to mess with that.

Bronze Member
Username: Carlos_m

Great YarmouthEngland

Post Number: 50
Glean EAker,

It`s normal because any turntable has its signal to noise lower than any cd player.

Regards

CArlos

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9897

That's not the reason.

Bronze Member

Great YarmouthEngland

Post Number: 51
So what`s the reason?

Regards

Carlos

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9898

Output voltage and gains stages.

Phono cartridges are similar to loudspeakers in that both are transducers. They convert one form of energy to another with no active circuits involved in the process. Therefore, a phono cartridge cannot have a "signal to noise ratio".

A phono cartridge outputs levels in the millivolts and requires a phono pre amp to raise that level sufficiently in order to adequately drive the power amplifier's input stage. Depending on the amount of voltage coming from the cartridge and the amount of gain applied in the phono pre amp, the final voltage sent to the power amp from a phono cartridge is still likely to be less than 1 volt peak. Most CD players typically output at least two volts R.M.S. and need no further gain stages. The difference in volume between a CD and a phono input comes down to the amount of voltage output by the device and the amount of gain applied to that voltage relative to the power amplifier's input sensitivity.

Bronze Member

Great YarmouthEngland

Post Number: 55
Jan Vigne, thanks for your post.

I really appreciate all information you put here, it was informative even for me because I`ll buy a turntable in the next two weeks.

Best regards

Carlos
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us