Connecting Active Subwoofer to Old Onkyo Tx series

Username: Greensangha

Post Number: 1
I am an electronics neophyte and bought a new Athena active subwoofer (p-300) to accompany my new (well-reviewed) Sony speakers. But I didn't bother to check what type of outputs were on my over-ten-year-old Onkyo tx 902. Now I've discovered that it doesn't have a separate output for a subwoofer. It has two sets of speaker in- puts (pinch-style) for speaker sets "A" and "B". Of course, the new subwoofer has an RCA input. How do I connect the subwoofer to my Onkyo without causing distortion or losing signal strength? Also, the subwoofer has low level inputs and high-level inputs. Can you tell me how these play into the configuration I need for my system? I'm afraid I am really "green" about electronics stuff, but I am eager to learn. Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5002
MN, have no fear.
Just connect the speaker leads to the sub as indicated in the book.(or 3 page foldout).

Username: Greensangha

Post Number: 2
Hi Nuck. I looked at the back of my subwoofer and the manual says that there are "binding posts" for standard speaker wire when no RCA input is available on the receiver. All I see are what look to be RCA outputs on my subwoofer. Do I need to unscrew these and wrap the wire around the post? Is that what they mean by binding post, or should the post look different from the other inputs right from the start? It doesn't seem like it would make a very clean connection. I hate to be so "dim", but I still don't quite get it. Can you further clarify how to do this? Mucho gracias.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us