These speakers...

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 180
I just ran a 60hz test tone on my speakers(dual 12" radiators, it says on the back) and only the top driver moved in and out (I had it up pretty loud). Then I played a 25hz test tone and only the bottom driver moved in and out.

Is this lower driver a passive subwoofer built into the speaker or...what could be the cause of this otherwise? I'm just wondering.

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bose Are Lik...

Post Number: 2553
Andre

It would help if there was a picture, as they say. Pictures says a thousands words.

Silver Member

Post Number: 181
http://www.klhaudio.com/av5001.htm

Ok I will admit they are KLH's(I don't have much money yet). I know it says 12" passive radiator...
I estimate them at about 120 watts RMS each by how I've driven them. I've taken an SPL meter and that Frequency Response specification is slightly off: 20Khz=-5dB 20hz=-9 by the SPL meter

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9511

If it says it's a PR, then it probably is. It didn't move at 60Hz because the PR is meant only to extend the usable system response of the speaker. It did respond because it was trying to reproduce the signal. The active driver didn't respond to 25Hz because that frequency is beyond it's usable bandwidth. In reality it is likely both drivers moved to both frequencies. The movement was just less than your eye cound detect.

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1155
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_1_1/v1n1spk.html#Speaker%20Enclosures

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1156
"Above the tuned frequency, the port contributes relatively little to the total output, moving more or less in phase with the active driver. As the frequency reproduced moves down to the tuned frequency, the reflex system starts to dominate the output, as it's sucking energy so efficiently from the active driver that while the active driver barely moves, the output from the port or passive radiator may be tremendous."

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1157
Gee Jan, what happened to "speakers ain't got no watts"?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9512

Oh, was I supposed to read all that stuff.

Yeah! Speakers ain't got no watts! Whatzamattayou?

Silver Member

Post Number: 184
LOL Jan
Ok, what does this mean?
Does this mean they're just powered by an alternating current running into the speaker composed of a certain voltage and a certain amperage to drive the speaker cone(or whatever transducer) in and out (or whatever) to produce rarefaction and compression that...BLA BLA BLA, OR IS IT JUST A JOKE?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9514

No, it means speakers don't produce watts, amplifiers produce watts. Some folks get picky about this by claiming speakers produce acoustic watts but that misses the point. Speakers utilize the voltage from the amplifier but they produce no electrical watts on their own. (An argument can again be made for the small amount of voltage that results from back electromotive force created by the driver's movement, but that is still nit-picking.) When a manufacturer states a spec of 150 watts RMS for their speakers, they are just blowin' smoke up your skirt. Most speakers can deal with the amount of wattage the amplfier can deliver more or less without concern to the amplifier's maximum wattage. What speakers might not deal with is the amount of power at any given frequency, especially deep bass where large excursions are required from the driver and heat is built up quickly, but that isn't how the speaker's specs read. And speakers are almost always blown up by having too little power rather than too much. Driving your 150 watt speakers with a 15 watt amp and trying to make it sound like a 150 watt amp will damage your speakers faster than the other way around.

When it comes to speakers, my opinion is the only specs you need to concern yourself with are height, width, depth and weight. Beyond that most conventional speaker specifications are BS.

Silver Member

Post Number: 186
Ok yeah, I'm sorry I misinterpreted that! WHat I mean by 120 watt RMS is where I thought the actual drivers were getting kind of close to their max excursion(x-max?). Learn from your mistakes!

Bronze Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 72
"When it comes to speakers, my opinion is the only specs you need to concern yourself with are height, width, depth and weight. Beyond that most conventional speaker specifications are BS.
"

So are you saying that Bose's practice of leaving the specs off the products is not as big a deal as everyone makes it out to be because the specs are a load of BS anyway?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4962
I agree.
But add sensitivity.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4963
Bose is like Rolls Royce quoting power as 'sufficient'.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9523

I've never met anyone interested in Bose who gave a flip what the specs might say. They knew Bose and they wanted Bose.

We've been down this road before, Nuck, sensitivity is still largely a bogus spec. Yes a difference between 104 and 84 should suggest something to you. But whether either speaker will actually manage its spec is in question and whether one 88dB speaker will actually play as loud as another 88 dB speaker is definitely not guaranteed. You need to know about the impedance swing and the phase angle to know whether an amplifier can drive the speaker to its specified sensitivity. And you need to know the sensitivity measurement is only an average of a few frequency points and not from top to bottom of the speaker's range. There are still many hidden items in a sensitivity spec.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us