Canada versus England

Username: Spenny

Post Number: 5
What Hi-Fi's recent "supertest" of budget bookshelf speakers (reprinted here: http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Reviews/Home_Cinema?Article=/Reviews/Home%20Cinema/ W4H9N8H4) crowned the Mordaunt-Short 902i as the best budget speaker (with the Wharfedale 9.1 a very close second). Interestingly, though, the contest was limited to what I believe are British speakers--other competitors were KEF, Mission, Epos, and Dali. It seems like Canadian speakers (Energy, PSB, Axiom, Paradigm and the like) are often clumped together in comparisons, too. I imagine this mostly has to do with availability--the British speakers are generally harder to come by in North America, and vice versa--but it makes me wonder: who would prevail in a "trans-atlantic" shootout of affordable speakers?

In particular, after the "What Hi-Fi" supertest, I'm curious about how the M-S 902i or Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 would fare against something like the Energy C-3 (a reference point for me). For that matter, would slightly more expensive British options, like Wharfedale's 9.2 or KEF's IQ3, give the very well-reviewed Energy RC-10 a run for its money? Anyone had a chance to compare?

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 968
Nup!

(Just to let you know you're not being ignored)

It still boils down the preferences of reviewers though when it is all said and done, it is our ears that decide the best speakers for us. Your point is interesting, but there are few or none who have the opportunity to comapre so many speakers. Then there's the different sources and amps and cables they would use. Personally, I don't put a lot of stock in What Hi Fi or many others for that matter.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 250
In most technical areas I would expect Canuckian speakers to prevail thanks to the testing facilities at the NRC. However, as MR said, there is more to a speaker than a handful of measurements.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 305
They both have great speakers

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 306
By The way KLipsch Bought energy and Paradigm and some other Canadian speaker company its in the news section there website

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4597
I thought Dali were Danish. Also, the other "British" speakers you mention, Spenny, are mostly made in China. Certainly M-S and Wharfedale. They used to be names of British independent makers. Not sure about Epos.

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1145
When I think of an example of a "British" speaker I tend to think of the Harbeth Monitor 40.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 762
Pretty accurate description of the Mission M32i in that article. Too bad Mission is gone from the US market.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4857
When I think of a 'Canadian' speaker, I hear a beer opening.

Then beautiful music...

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1750
EPOS and KEF are still British companies, though I wouldn't be surprised if their entry level speakers were made in China too. EPOS is owned by Creek.

KEF IQ3s are OK, but no great shakes in my view. In fact, none of KEF's range is particularly spellbinding in my view!

Of the Canadian speakers you mention I believe only the Energy and Paradigm speakers come to the UK. There is also a reluctance on the part of mags to review direct-selling brands, possibly in order to protect the advertisement revenue stream...:-)

Mission seem to be in terminal decline, sadly. Their latest products leave much to be desired methinks, although their Cubes seem to be picking up some of the market.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 307
Mission makes some nice speakers

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 770
Frank, I'm just curious which Mission products you've listened to that have been disappointing? My experience with their M3 series & M7 series have been nothing less than outstanding. The Mission Pilastro Series are considered some of the best speakers on earth. http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/736/

Bronze Member
Username: Mitchbd

Post Number: 87
If you're looking for a great Canadian speaker - check out Totem Acoustic out of Montreal. They receive many accolades, and truly are outstanding speakers. The best choice in the bookshelf variety would be the Rainmaker. Stunning!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us