Stands for Ling's

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4754
I have my lovely Ling speakers about ready to be placed in the living area. They will be placed for near field listening mostly, but opened up for a slightly larger field.
The integrated tube amp is rated at 18w/ch, and the pc sound card is the source.

I am not sure how to mount them. I have used the little darlin's in the listening room, powered several ways, but have never had them mounted properly. I am unsure of the best mount for these, should I look for a heavy solid coupling, or perhaps allow the cabinet(very solid) to work it's own effect?

I will purchase stands, for asthetic purposes, but I am unsure of filled stands, weight considerations, etc.

The speakers are fine at about 50 Hz, not much lower(just right) for acoustic guitar, vocals and the like. Think JT, or Eric Clapton unplugged.

I hope Tim will have some ideas.

What say you?

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 235
Who's JT?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4758
james Taylor.
Live at the beacon.
Fantastic recording.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11788
"Who's JT?"

How young are you Dan????

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1137
I like using spikes and mass loaded stands mostly.
Knowing what a handy fella you are I think I'd put some tip toes in the bottom of the Lings like these:
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=%Ert_id%%&pid=1601
build something like this:
http://www.timn8er.com/speaker_stands.htm
Get the center of the driver equal in height to your ears and maybe add some toes to the bottom or even fabricate something similar to these:

Upload

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1138
durp
Missed the part about you "buying" stands.
Massed loaded, yep, play sand, yep, yep.
Good stuff.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4760
I am OK to build them, Tim, thanks for the vote of confidence.
I will buy, for lack of fab time, running my tail off.
Fully loaded, fully coupled.
Thanks, again.

PS The Lings are singing quite beautifully right now, sitting on 28" of 10" sonotube, no coupling, 6" from the rear wall and close to a corner.
With the new Hong Kong 18w amp in warm song.

I dig it!
Sylvia's mother is so right, it's like live.
Fabulous!

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1139
Which amp?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4763
It is a hong kong amp, made in China, no doubt.

Mengyue, is the make, I posted on tube talk with the specs.

http://by127fd.bay127.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg?msg=116C4F31-05DA-4C67-A814 -0B9C8189F20D&start=0&len=27807&msgread=1&imgsafe=n&curmbox=00000000%2d0000%2d00 00%2d0000%2d000000000001&a=3350c6e49125d209c01d20949a526abf62c2ad5a1ae53cdf01bd9 016cb4898af&curmbox=00000000%2d0000%2d0000%2d0000%2d000000000001&a=3350c6e49125d 209c01d20949a526abf62c2ad5a1ae53cdf01bd9016cb4898af

Gold Member

Post Number: 4764
Wow, if that works, I'll be a monkey's uncle.

I will try again, Tim.
See amps instead.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4765
So solidly coupled to a heavy, unforgiving stand, is that correct, Tim?

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1140
Minimize the contact area between the enclosure and the stand and between the stand and the floor (a.k.a. tip-toe spikes) and fill the stand with play sand.
Seems to work best for me.

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 236

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9416

"For my audition I played the Ling with the grill covers off and experimented with stands to get the best performance from the speaker. My experience with the Ling suggests this is a speaker that does not like to be tied down to a stand with BluTak. The Lings sounded best in both of my systems using a heavy, well damped stand. But, in another swipe to conventional wisdom, instead of attaching the speaker to the top plate of the stand with mounting cement, I placed the substantial weight of the Lings on three short Tiptoes (cones) on top of a piece of oak plywood cut to fit under the Lings. The ply was placed on top of the stands with a single sheet of paper towel between the two surfaces. (This arrangement was made first with cement blocks to find the correct height for the speakers prior to substituting the actual lead shot and sand damped speaker stands.) This let the Lings sing clearly and sweetly instead of shutting down their frequency range and, most importantly, their dynamics as happened when the speakers were cemented directly to the damped stands. With a single 4.5" driver operating up to the edge of the highest octave, the speakers were toed in toward my listening position until I could see only the front baffle of the Lings."

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/reviews/156699.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 4777
Thanks Jan, I had lost that link.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4779
Dan, if it hits 35, sell!

Well it seems that Mrs. Nuck would prefer the speakers on the desktop. The desk is 6ft. long, plus a 3' return, with a modesty panel, all in solid pine.
The rear of the desk is against the wall, so the Ling's will be pushed within 6" of the wall. Not ideal, but the bass re-inforcement may be ok for everyone but me.
I have a set of spikes, but will need a slab of heavy hardwood to couple to the desktop.

Shall I drill and tap 1/4-20 into the speaker cab, or look for inserts to accomplish the spikes, meaning 3/8" holes?

And BTW, I do not suggest 10" sonotube for a permanent solution, the WAF is low.

No, lower.

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1143
It's ok to drill into the cab. The material is 3/4" thick. I've been consistently successful drilling just over 1/2" deep holes for the inserts. You probably know this but, the danger with inserts is overtightening. Best to just get them snug and stop.

Heavy hardwood is good but rock is better; marble, granite, etc..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us