No sound

Username: Greenbush

Post Number: 1
I have a JVC AL-F330BK, with a brand new stylus, which makes no sound when I try playing a record. When I gently touch the stylus there is no sound. However, when I turn the turntable off [with amplifier still on] and touch the stylus, a sound comes from the speaker. I have visually checked the ground and it appears to be okay. [I also reversed the turntable plug - no change].
Any thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4657
Lou, what is the very last thing that you changed since the last time that the table worked?

Post Number: 2
Nuck
It has been months [maybe 9?] since the table was working. The only thing I know for sure that was added to the array of black boxes in our entertainment center was a DVD player. [My wife may have also dusted during that time but she always does that!]

Lou

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9373

Your wife may have dusted the stylus right off the cartridge. Can you see anything that looks like a cantilever coming out from the bottom of the cartridge? Does the arm track the record or slide across?

Post Number: 3
The stylus is there all right; and yes, the arm tracks the record.

It's looking like I will have to take the turntable apart and look for a loose wire!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9379

Are you certain you didn't disconnect the table's leads when you added the new player?

Post Number: 4
I'm pretty certain I didn't; and with a mirror I can see them connected. Besides, doesn't the fact that I get a sound when touching the stylus [with turntable off] indicate this connection is good?
It's hard not to conclude that there is an electrical problem associated with switching the turntable on.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9384

It's hard to conclude that getting a noise when you touch the stylus is any different than getting the stylus to send a signal when it tracks a record. But I am not familiar with your table and there may be a mute circuit that is in effect at some point.

Bronze Member
Username: Stevestar99

Dahlonega, GA

Post Number: 26
I'm not familiar with your particular turntable, but most quality tables have a signal to ground shorting contact switch that closes when the arm is in the cradle. The switch is usually attached to the arm by some sort of a cam on the bottom of the gimble. From what you're describing, it's sound like the cam has slipped or it's broken. If you've got an ohm meter, read the output lines with the table on and off. If you get a reading of zero ohm (signal to ground) when the table is ON and infinity when it's off, your muting/grounding switch needs to be looked at.
PS Make sure that you're checking it with the arm out of the cradle, placed on the LP after it's run through any auto routine.

Bronze Member
Username: Stevestar99

Dahlonega, GA

Post Number: 27
Here's a little after thought. When I use to service couple of T/Ts a day, I would always replace the whole cartridge not just the stylus. Normally the stylus is about 75% of the cost of the whole thing. And more times that not I would have some kind of a audio problem when only the stylus was replaced.

Post Number: 5
Steve
You probably got the answer wwith your idea about the switch and the arm. There is a slide switch titled 'CUEING DOWN UP' that does not work. Nor does the automatic return of the arm, I never thought there might be an electricl connection with these mechanisms. I took the bottom off and saw a black plastic post that appeared to have a broken surface!
It all suggests that I now have a source of parts for someone with a JVC turntable.
Thanks to all for your assistance

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4718
Good one Steve.
And Jan.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us