Advice on selecting bookshelf speakers

Username: 1st_cup

Post Number: 1
I am trying to decide between Paradigm studio 20 v4's and Quad 12L's. I have Cambridge Audio 540Rv2, and Cambridge Audio DVD 89, that I am using as my universal player for CD's also. I have a Monster Power line conditioner, and am using DH labs Q-10 speaker cable/bi-wiring. I just sold my former speakers because they were too bright with my setup, so I am looking for a laid back or neutral sound from the speakers. These speakers will also have to actually go into a bookshelf, so floor stands are not an option, unfortunately. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 731
I just auditioned the Quad 12L's yesterday and was very impressed with them. Expansive soundstage, beautiful imaging, I would not describe them as the most laid back I've heard, they were even a bit forward, but certainly far from fatiguing from what I could tell (A/B/C'd them with a pair of Mission V61's & Wharfedale Diamond 8.1's) However, The Paradigm Studio 20's (I've not heard the v4s yet, so this is based on the v3s) are best sounding bookshelfs under $1000, IMHO (I haven't herad Emma yet). They are incredibly capable, large, with a better low-end than the Quads. They're both excellent speakers, have you auditioned both? Do both fit your shelf? I'm sure you will be well served by either.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Christopher. I am auditioning the Quad 12L's in my home as we speak and I agree with you that they have an expansive soundstage and beautiful imaging, and very non-fatiguing, just a bit bass shy though. I did hear the Paradigm studio 20v4 in the store and thought they were impressive, but they may sound different on my system however. They both fit on my bookshelf with no problem. The only thing in that the Quad's are also rear ported and placement is critical with the bookshelf arrangement. I also think you may be correct about the Paradigm's having the better low end.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 541
the best minimonitors are small ACOUSTIC SUSPENSION as far as i'm concerned. i love my tiny NHT superzeros because the have absolutely no bass distortion caused by evil resonant ports and very little cabinet resonance like my midrange weak missions.

the weakest link in the chain with my NHTs is their timid soft dome tweeters. (with a bit of lower efficiancy too)

otherwise, they walk all over the missions in midrange clarity, upper bass speed and imaging.

sadly, most brands (including the formerly awesome bang for the buck A/S infinities) have sold out to the hideous ported resonance god because that INFERIOR design sounds bigger and more impressive in showrooms.

most people just aren't as concerned with accuracy & speed as they are with big sounding resonances. "duh... me like loud one note bass me feel in my tummy duh"

ports are evil distortionmongers. i STILL remember how much better boston acoustics designs used to sound compared to similarly priced ported crap boxes back in the day, but they too sold out to the "bigger is better" mindset.

screw bass extension! accuracy kicks all hiney!

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the input budget minded, I may have to see if there are any NHT dealers in my area, and have a listen. Speaking of listening, I heard a pair of Totem Rainmakers today for the first time and I was very impressed, although I didn't get to spend as much time listening to them as I would have liked. I wonder what they would be like over the long haul, they had a suprising amount of detail and more bass than I expected for such a small speaker. But of course, they were rear ported speakers, so I am not sure how they would sound in a bookshelf setting.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us