Focus 140's break-in

Username: Antiz

Post Number: 1
Hey!

Got these gems about week ago, i've been running them about 2hrs a day. I find some weakness in midrange, sound doesn't come bright/forward enough (for my tastes) thay seem to sound very distant.
Will they start to live better when im breaking in? Or is it that my equipment is not so lively?

My system is:

CD Harman Kardon HD970
Amp Harman Kardon HK970 120w 4ohms

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1726
More likely your equipment isn't very lively or has a midrange suckout. The 140s have quite a midrange presence, but they're not easy to drive (and I don't know the HK).

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 2
TY for response.

I don't know but i 've been told that harman kardon is quite dark sounding system so i guess its just that.

..It's not that "bad" anymore, seems like im hearing better allready.. ;D

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4580
JY, I listened to the 140's a bit yesterday, and they did not seem 'dark' at all. Unknown asian manufacture of amp and source.
Also, I have not known the H/K to be slouching in mid/highs at all, but I have not had you model.
My guess is to run in the 140's for a good long while, they seem to a bit stiff in relenting to yur tastes.
Apply power when possible.
These little darlings are at the top of my list for small 'standers, really great.

ps, they all like large inputs of power, your H/K might be a little light for that, but only a little.
A fresh set of speaker cables might be in order, perhaps look into that?

They will amaze you in one month.

Post Number: 4
Yeah,

I tried my old speakers audio pro ego 414 yesterday and heard the difference. It was clear,I can't go back anymore, it misses so much what focus brings, mainly it's the 'body', in one word.
Also I noticed I like my 140's now more and more everyday.
Not sure about synergy of my system, I don't know yet, future tells.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1732
Just noticed you say a week ago and only 2 hours a day. They need about 150 hours run-in time so you should hnave them on all the time for a couple of weeks to start letting them fill out properly. At the moment they'll be a bit tight in the bass, a little reserved.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Underarock

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 68
While I can't speak for the system being discussed here, I do know that it appears that speakers do need break-in time. When I first hooked up my Linaeum towers, they seemed a bit harsh to me. They're still not broken in yet, but they also have smoothed out a a lot ove the weeks. Give your Focus pair more time!

Username: Reinder

The Netherlands

Post Number: 3
Journi Y,

The Dyn's need a realy long time of breakin in. I remember from my 140's it took several months before the sound got "looser". It takes some patience, but it's worth waiting!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us