NAD T742 - DTS issue?

Username: Maroonmike

Post Number: 1
Newbie here...

I have a NAD T742 receiver and when I play DTS tracks (like DTS music CDS), the first couple of seconds of the track is missed while the receiver is "loads" the DTS setting. Also, sometimes while the song is playing, the track cuts out for a second.

Is this an issue with the receiver or a setting I need to adjust? Thanks!

BTW, I am using a NAD T532 DVD player connected via an optical cable.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 306
Mike,

The "skip" of the first millisecond of a CD is normal when playing through a player connected with a digital cable. The receiver has to have this time to recognize what signal it is being sent (analog or digital, Dolby Digital or DTS, etc). This is common to many receiver brands, not just NAD. If you want to get around it, connect the player to the receiver using analog cables. This takes the "guesswork" out of it for the receiver. However, the cutout of the song while the track is playing definately is not normal. What happens when this occurs? What does the display of the NAD do? Is it only on these DTS disks? Does this happen when you are watching movies too? More information might be helpful.

Post Number: 2
Thanks. I guess I will try the analog cables because it takes more like 2 seconds for it to recognize the DTS source. This is a big problem for music CD's because it does every time I change tracks manually. I guess the T742 is very slow selecting the DTS source????

The 'cutout' problem only happens on DTS discs (not DD) and I only have the problem after switching tracks. In other words, if a start the CD and let it play - no problem. If I change tracks, then I get this random 'mute' for .5 seconds around every 45 seconds or so. I have to stop the CD, choose the track, and press play to fix the problem.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 307
Mike,

Try the analog cables...who knows, it might fix the "cutout" problem as well. Like I said, the skip is normal at the beginning of the CD, or even at the beginning of new tracks if you change tracks manually (as you have observed). The analog cables will fix this. Just connect them to the "CD" input of the receiver and switch to that input when you want to listen to music, and switch to "DVD" when you want to watch movies.

I am still perplexed by your second problem though. Maybe the more "technically minded" folks on here can help more. What happens when you play a movie in DTS? Is this skip still there? What happens when you play a "normal" (i.e. non DTS or Dolby Digital) CD? This is puzzling indeed. I am not even going to wager a guess on that one as it would be pure speculation on my part.

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 976
Guys, No analogue connection will not help on this case - that works only with Cds, and the two-channel downmix of Dolby 5.1

DTS is a PCM digital stream; it has to go via a digital interconnect, or else there is silence. If you can confirm this, it would be good, and I can maybe post back. sorry i have to run.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 126
I believe the skip is there with the digital connection whatever the source. It is a common but annoying feature with most AVRs, not only your NAD.

The analog connection will help if it's 5.1 and the T532 does have a DTS decoder (dont know about this). I'm doing it with my Panasonic DVD-S75 and it works fine. If it's a no, you'll just have to live with it.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 309
John A,

If I am wrong, I apologize. Wouldn't the analog cables still work if the DVD player had an internal DTS decoder? I haven't spent any time looking at the T532, so I don't know if it has one, but would that not still work? Please help my ignorance if you please. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
Johnny: Yes, if a DTS 5.1-decoder exists in the DVD-player, it will work. Otherwise it wont.

Silver Member

Post Number: 977
Johnny, landroval,

You've got it. The T532 has no DTS decoder. Therefore the decoding has to happen in the receiver. Sorry I had to leave. I could maybe have explained a bit more. The same is true for the Dolby Digital AC-3 (i.e. 5.1), by the way. I know this because I have a T532.

Maroon Mike can still do some things. One is to decide on a format for a disc, and stick with it. The player will choose the format from the last time it played the disc. If the receiver is "expecting" that format, they should be talking to each other straight away. The delay comes for two reasons: when the player has to sample the disc to see what's available, and when the receiver has to listen to a bit of what it is getting from the player, to decide what format THAT is in.

I don't really see any other way to do it. There are also difference in the way discs are made e.g. you can sometimes switch between DTS and Dolby "on the fly"; sometimes not.

Also the specifications for CDs require a lead-in time, before the programme material starts. These are widely ignored by disc makers. I think it is probably the same with DVD.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 310
John,

That makes sense. Thanks for setting me straight. I saw on the spec sheet for the T532 that it has "Dolby Digital/PCM/DTS Digital Out" and didn't know if that meant it had an internal decoder. Apparently it doesn't. This "skip" in the middle of songs described by Mike still seems odd to me. It would be interesting to know if the DTS DVD's exhibit the same behavior.

Hope all is well John!!

Bronze Member
Username: Sem

Post Number: 73
I also have the T742 and have noticed some of the delays MaroonMike is talking about. But unfortunately I haven't been able to spend a lot of time experimenting with the many different connections possible. My setup is in pieces as I am (still) debugging a noise problem. I do seem to remember though the T742 seems to be very slow at recognizing the many different formats, and perhaps letting the DVD player do the decoding whenever possible would help to eliminate the delays.

Silver Member

Post Number: 981
Johnny,

Thanks. I am fine! I also learned a bit more from my upgrade to the T533. Apart from component video out, the T533 brings built-in Dolby Digital AC-3 and DVD-Audio processing. Still no DTS. Also something called "PCM stereo" works for the first time. I am puzzled by that. Any one know anything? Thread: PCM Stereo. PCM stereo sounds like two-channel DVD-Audio from a DVD-Video disc. When any of these processings occur in the player, you get them only by using the analogue "Ext. 5.1" input of the receiver. My goodness, does it make a difference. A whole step up in sound quality, and a big one, especially for DVD-Audio and PCM Stereo. I still like the T532, and we use it now for two-channel, with a smaller TV, mostly for the kids, who like the independence. And it means I can listen to my hifi more.

Post Number: 3
Thanks everyone for the insights.

On my T532 & T742, the DTS signal is never "expected", but the receiver always has to adjust to DTS each time a new track is selected. Even if I play 4 DTS tracks from a CD and skip to track 6, the receiver flashes "DTS" for ~2 seconds and then begins playing. It is VERY annoying when listening to music DTS CD's (which otherwise sound awesome with this combination.)

This issue does not exist with Dolby Digital CD's only DTS. Could that be because the T532 DVD player has a DD encoder???

I really love my NAD (and DTS music CDs,) so should I consider an upgrade? I have been eyeing the T753 receiver but I want make sure this is resolved before moving ahead. Maybe a new DVD player with a built-in DTS encoder??

Thanks again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 988
MaroonMike,

Thanks for explaining. I see. I have an NAD T760, and I have never noticed that, in combination with either the T532 or the T533 (what an upgrade). But I don't think I skip tracks like that. I will try it and see. By the way - you mean "DTS-DVDs", surely? Or are you burning DTS files onto CD? The receiver could be flashing because it is getting the signal "change format" from the player. I think you would have to try a different receiver to be sure where the problem lay. Also, on DVD-Vs I have, once "DTS" is selected, the player remembers that, and there is no problem.

I agree DTS sound is awesome. But wait till you hear DVD-Audio!

Silver Member

Post Number: 136
MaroonMike: You're mixing encoders and decoders. You'll need a CD/DVD player with a built in DTS-decoder to able to decode the DTS in the player and then transfers it to the receiver in analog format.

John A: DTS-CDs exists also. It is just a music CD with a DTS 5.1 soundtrack.

Bronze Member
Username: Bobby29

Post Number: 11
Forgive my ignorance, but if you use analog connections from the cd/dvd player, will the DAC's used for sound reproduction be from the DVD player or the receiver?

And yes Maroon Mike, the 753 has the delay also. Do a search and you will find a couple of posts regarding this.

Silver Member

Post Number: 995
lanroval,

Thanks. I have not come across a DTS-CD. I suppose a DTS-CD is just single-layer, and that is the difference. Can't see how that makes a difference to delays between tracks. Unless the player reads "Single layer; it is a CD; it is linear PCM" and then has to find it is wrong.

Silver Member

Post Number: 996
Rob,

From the player. Always. The receiver's DACs would also be used if you are you using matrixed surround processing (prologic etc) on the receiver's two-channel analogue input.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
Rob,

My understanding is if you use a digital connection between the dvd player and your receiver then the receiver does the decoding. Using analog connections allow the player to do the decoding. This is, of course, assuming both the player and the receiver are both capable of decoding DTS.

Post Number: 4
@Rob: >>>"And yes Maroon Mike, the 753 has the delay also. Do a search and you will find a couple of posts regarding this"<<<
I hate to hear the T753 has the same issue. I will look for these posts.

I guess I need to find a DVD player with a DTS encoder so that my T742 does not have to do the work. Does NAD have a DVD player with a DTS encoder???? If not, if there a good alternate?

I create my own DTS mixes and use the DTS-CD becuase it easy (and cheaper) to burn to a CD-R.
The real difference is that the DTS-CD must be from a 16bit/44.1kbps WAV data source whereas a DTS-DVD use a 24bit/48kbps WAV data source. I will create a DTS-DVD tonight and see if the 2 second pause happens there as well.

Thanks again everyone.

Post Number: 5
I meant to say DVD player with a DTS decoder above.

Silver Member

Post Number: 999
Maroon Mike,

I recently bought an NAD T533, as I said. I does not have a DTS decoder. The Cambridge Audio Azur 540D does, I think (off the top of my head - I will check). A poster called Rick Barnes has promised to comment some more on that player, in a thread under "Home Audio: DVD-Audio & SACD".

Gold Member

Post Number: 1007
Maroon,

I have also burned CDs with DTS .wav files. I have not tried to "skip" tracks, yet. For me, this is not a practical issue; these are just test discs. But I will try it sometime soon.

I also wonder if it makes any difference which "Digital Audio out" setting you choose from the T532's settings menu. I never found any use for "PCM", but noticed DTS will then play well - and Dolby is then no longer an option. That could make a difference.

Post Number: 6
Unfortunately, the setting on the T532 makes no difference. I have tried them all. I even went so far as to test things like P.Scan on/off.

My Dad recently purchased a Sherwood Newcastle system (receiver / DVD player) that was in the price range as my T742/T532 (we both bought from the same local retailer) and his has no problems. His Sherwood Newcastle plays everything perfect in DTS; no runs, drips or errors. I just figured my NAD had a setting off somewhere rather than this being an overall issue with the equipment.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1030
MaroonMike,

Thanks. It sounds, to me, like you've tried everything.

Username: Jaycee64

Post Number: 10
In order for the NAD to play in DTS, does the DVD player have to decode DTS? Or, can the non DTS DVD player send a signal to the NAD and the NAD will decode it? I have a 743 and I can't get it to play in DTS no matter what I do. My DVD player does not have a DTS decoder but it has a DTS output receptacle.

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
JC,

No. If the dvd player can send a DTS digital signal to the NAD, the NAD should be able to decode it. On mine, (Pioneer 563A dvd and NAD T742), I can either let the 563A decode and send a 5.1 analog signal, or send a digital signal and let the NAD decode it to 5.1 analog.

Bronze Member
Username: Jaycee64

Post Number: 12
That's what I thought - thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us