Active (amplified) speakers

Username: Toxus

Post Number: 7
how do active speakers connect?
As i was looking at some at my Town, and they dont connect with bare leads. They were this big chunky leads...

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8855

They connect at line level and the amplifier is built into the speaker cabinet.

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 268
So that's a composite (rca) connection right?

Post Number: 8
yeah, ineed to know that too.
is there normaly a plug that lets you connect another active speaker... on an active speaker?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8863

"Composite" implies a video output/input when accomplished through an RCA connection. "Line level" would be best to describe an audio connection and you can get more specific by referring to an "unbalanced" or "single ended" line level connection.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8864

If you are asking if you can daisy-chain active speakers, the typical answer for consumer audio would be no. The pro sound field uses more active speakers and they might provide the ability to do a chain.

Post Number: 9
ok, so i need an RCA lead, how do i connect more active ones up?

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 271
Hopefully this does not approach hijacking of the thread, but I always referred to rca and composite as interchangeable. So to be specific, the yellow rca is composite, and the red/whites are "balanced" line-level connections?

Post Number: 10
would i need to plug two of these into a RCA terminal?
[IMG]http://www.shoppingcentre.net/shop/images/STEREO-PLUG%20-2X-RCA-SOCKET-GOLD.jpg[/IMG]
plus a white one, just to make a splitter. Would it need any amplification? would it split decently enough?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8866

RCA's carrying an audio signal are unbalanced lines.

What you've shown is an adapter to take two RCA plugs and convert them down to one stereo 1/8" mini plug. I doubt that is what you need. However, I can't be certain since, as far as I can tell, we are discussing unknown speakers. You're going to have to be more specific before any advice can be given concerning hook up.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1522
Michael,

No.

RCAs are just plugs - also referred to as unbalanced or single ended connections.

Typically a yellow RCA indicates a Composite video connection. The Red/white connections are usual unbalanced or single-ended Right/Left stereo connections. Component video cables are often terminated in RCAs in which case you get Red, Blue and Green plugs. Digital interconnects often use RCAs too, and the plugs are usually black.

Active speakers connect at line level (typically 2 volts). In other words, they connect to PreOuts on a receiver or preamp. They sometimes (usually?) have more than one input connection, being unbalanced RCA and balanced XLR. Balanced connection is desirable in this case because the interconnect cables are longer than usual. Unbalanced leads are more prone to noise. Some cheaper active speakers, often used with computers, are connected with a 3.5mm stereo jack. This is necessarily lower quality but it is far less usual to find RCA connections (and NEVER XLR) in a sound card due to space considerations.

toxus, what are you trying to achieve? What's an RCA terminal? What sockets does it have, and what are you trying to connect to what?

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1523
Incidentally, a sound card's output is line level as you may have guessed from my description...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
ok, when i said RCA terminal, i ment... http://www.panasonic.ae/PMM/Assets/ProductCatalogue/BigImages/TY-42TM6Z.jpg

basicly, what im wanting to know is, if i wanted to set up a system with a few active speakers, and passive speakers, what bits i would need.
but yeah, thanks for the help anyway

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 283
Tanks Frank! One quick follow up: So is there a performance difference between yellow plugs and red/whites? As in would plugging a yellow into an analog aduio-in/out blow your system up? ;)

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3451
no.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 290
U da bomb Nuck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts