Paradigm Monitor 5's or ADP 370's?

Bronze Member
Username: Hannjeff

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 48
Ok, Im gonna be picking up my system this coming week and I just rearanged my basement to acomidate the best placment of these speakers. I have ran into a snap where I need to place my coach in the middle of my basement, instead of the side wall. My original plan was adp370 dipolas about 2 feet behind me 10 feet apart. I cant do this cause of where power plugs and stuff are. I am now in the position where I can mount the adp370's beside me, about 6 feet out in each direction. Only issue is the speaker on the left will be have a wall 2 feet from the side, so this may cause alot of deflection and a very boomy sound. Im considering changing the package to get monitor 5's (maby 3's I havent sampled yet) and mount them about 5' from each side of me. Would this be a better solution? I know that dipolar speakers diffuse the sound around you so you cant pinpoint the location, and when this is behind you, this is fine, but when there beside you, can this difsed sound get mixed in with the front channels? Since they are aiming same direction? Since these speakers are for movies with 5.1, and the odd dvd-a/sacd with true 5.1, than they wont be in use that often, so Im not concerned with them as much as the fronts (montior 9's) or the center (cc370). If I switch to a monitor 5, or a monitor 3, than I might be able to even save a vew bucks and upgrade the sub (currently pdr-8, what would be a nice upgrade to this?). Any ideas guys? I know you know your stuff so I hope you can help me out befor I pick these speakers up on monday?

Username: Etaniyani

Los Angeles, California

Post Number: 2
I would go with the Monitor 5's. I have a similar setup with monitor 11's up front, and the 5's in the rear. Whats really nice about larger speakers in the rear is that it really surrounds you while watching movies or even listening to music. The sound coming out of them will be fuller, and give a better listening experience. If the monitor 5's will be placed behind and off to the side of you, you will not be sorry that you went that direction.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
Well, behind and off to the side isnt quite possibly , the easyiest position is off to the side, perfectly. I might be able to do off and behind, but not too far behind. But, based on what I described, are bipoles (monitor 5's) better than dipoles (monitor 5's)

Los Angeles, California

Post Number: 3
well here are the draw backs of each, and you will have to choose your preference. the adp speakers will perform better in dispersing the surround sound, giving you a little better of an effect. what i dont like about the adp's is that they are small speakers. The monitor 5's are fairly large speakers, and the sound coming from the 5's will be more full. For my surround monitor 5's i was not able to put them behind me either, so i tilted them in towards the center slightly to help with the surround affect. When you play music, the monitor 5's will outperfom the adp's in every aspect. So basically you have to choose what your preference is. I have listened to both setups and i prefer the 5's because of how much more full it sounds.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
Well, I might not be able to switch the adps for the monitors, however, if I can I think I will. And, after some rearanging, I can move the speakers. Now, for my music, I mainly use 2.1, so, I dont really care about the rears for that. However, I will depending on the music, the source, and my mood. I think if I can switch to the monitor 5's, I will. Do you think I will end up spending some more money? (Im paying $600cad for the adp370s), of course I will need stands, but, im not worrying about that.

Los Angeles, California

Post Number: 5
I think you would be able to find a pair of Monitor 5's for around there, but im in california so the prices might be a little different. When i listen to music, i like putting it in 5 channel mode, so equal sound is coming from each speaker, it just fills the room much nicer. Good luck and have fun.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Im gonna go to the shop and pick up what they have in (monitor 9's in rosewood are special order). Ill ask if I can switch.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
Ok, the salesguy im dealing with has informed me that he cant get monitor 5's anymore, they are discontinued, and that one of the speakers in it is actually passive (like the monitor 11's). He told me that I can get the mini monitors, or teh monitor 3's, so I will be looking at teh monitor 3's unless you think I should stick with the adp 370's.
What you think?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
I took the monitor 3's. I dont have them yet, cause they were in there warehouse, but they are being delivered to my house today. So far I absolutly love the system!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
IS it better to have them behind and off to the side, or, directly beside, or, directly behind? Ive seen pictures recominding each setup, I know in a 7.1 they are off to the sides, however, what about in a 5.1?

Bronze Member

Los Angeles, California

Post Number: 14
Well its kind of a testing game with that, i would first try behind and off to the side of you as i would believe it would give you the best effect, and work from there. When i set up mine, behind wasn't an option, and if i faced the speakers straight forward i wouldn't get too much of the surround effect, so i pointed the speakers inward towards the center and that made a huge difference. Just try a couple different combinations and see what sounds the best in your room. Goodluck and have fun with that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us