Optical input troubles on my reciever/xbox360 PLEASE HELP!!!

Username: Evaunit360

Cal Usa

Post Number: 2
Okay here is the deal. I have had a klh reciever 5.1 and 5.1 klh speakers, center left right left rear and right rear and of course the sub. Now here is the thing I recently bought a optical cable for my brand new xbox 360, but when i put it in my reciever and 360 and set my reciever to optical 5.1 mode my rear speakers make a loud hum noise even when i put it on mute! I really dont know why i cant get sound in the back. Even the center channel doesnt do anything. the reciever shows all of the speakers on and i am very confused. Am I hurting anything. I really want the best sound and I read the manuals and still cant figure it out. I suck at my reciever and know Nothing about opitcal cable stuff. please help me !!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Mikemv1977

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 21
U likely need to set ur xbox options correctly, its likely reading the audio input as analog. and u may have to enable ur digital output. its usually how it goes on most systems for gaming. ur receiver may also need to be fiddled with, check for input slection for coax or optical cable for your digital audio. give it a try and see what happens. let me know. good luck.

Cal Usa

Post Number: 3
um its a klh r5100 receiver i put the settings to optical on dolby digital. I went to the 360s dash and changed it to dolby 5.1 digital. my back speakers still make clicks and produce poor quality sound. someone had the same problem at another site. he used diff cable to fix it. What kind can i use other than standard wire you kno the think kind?

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1042
The optical connection to the 360 is often loose and some have had problems with it, I never had any issues with the sound, just the cable falling out. I switched around the cables and found one I had that stays in tight.

If the optical connection is not the problem, it may be the video, what video cables are you using? I've heard of a coax cable causing humming...

Cal Usa

Post Number: 4
I just got off the phone with a klh person and they said that my model of receiver has a problem with dolby digital and that I should just stick with analog. What crap is that? They knew right away. What kind of company knowingly incorporates a terrible downright non working optical setting. They should have just left the optical input off in the first place. Do you guys have any suggestions for receivers under 300 perferably 200 that have good optical connections? 5.1 of course. I would like to try and get something that has 100w per channel just like my old Klh. Do you guys think it would be worth trashing my old receiver to get one with good dolby digital? IDK. Please give me suggestions! Thank you guys for your help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
I would say you got ripped off on your system, main reason being that KLH is the lowest form of home theater crap you can get. Your better off buying a Onkyo receiver. I own the Onkyo TX-SR303, its the lowest end model they caryy, but for basic home theatre it does the trick, bucz I use it for my bedroom set up for home theatre PC requirements. Only cost me 200$ Canadian used from a friend of mine who spent 350$ brand new. It does both digital coax cable and optical input. Sources are selectable for both so you can program which video source you want your audio coming from. It also has composite video, and allows for 2 sets of A/B front speakers. Heres a link for ya to check out:

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR304S&class=Receiver&p=i

Apparently this is the new 2006 model. But its a good all around mini system power driver.
I notice once i actually crank the system volume, its goes pretty hard for a 5.1 system with only 65watts a channel. Go take a look at your local dealers who carry the system, give it a listen. You might be surprised at what you hear. Good luck.

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1043
Yeah but Canada has very high prices for A/V.

Lots of good deals in the states, look at the low end Yamaha and Denon lines, the Pioneer 1015Tx can be had quite cheap, also refurb HK AVR635s going for around $500 if you can go that high. Look at the Panasonic digital amps which are popular with their low price of $250 and up.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
If there is one thing i keep noticing evry time I go into a store that carries HK, they seem to get returned or refurbished. HK is good, but you gotta go very high end to get what you pay for. I am beginning to think HK get refurbed bcuz people arent satisfied. I wish I lived in the USA for prices alone, but I dont. So you take what you can get, but if your gonna buy a system, do your homework first. Read reviews, take a listen. Know what your getting before you buy it.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4266
well the Onkyos also have no shortage of refurbs too (see ecost.com for example), and having owned a 601 for a few weeks, I found their music SQ to be mediocre at best though for HT it was ok but then again what isn't ok for HT. Their best feature was ease of use and a well-written manual.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us