Sub Help

Username: Tim9096

Maumee, Ohio USA

Post Number: 2
Just buoght a KLH sub that has the worst instruction manual that I have ever seen. It shows you how to hook it up but gives you no insrtuctions on how to use the settings. It has a knob for gain with settings that go from min to max and a knob for freq that ranges from 40hz to 180hz and a switch that says phase rev and nornal. Are there correct settings for these and what are the uses of each, so far I have just used my ears to judge the sound but I dont want the do any damage to it by not having it set in the correct way.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 131
gain knob will help with integrating sound levels obviously, play around with settings to blend with speakers to get same volume output. Phase is to help with subs performance with your system, most of the time in phase is best option, but listen for more or less bass with each setting, the setting with most bass will be the option you want as it is mating with your current speakers and not cancelling each other out. As far as the freq ranges, that is the crossover point, and once again you will need to experiment which setting integrates seamlessly without too much bass, or not enough. If you have floorstanders I suggest starting at about 60hz and work from there, and if you have "bookshelves" youll want to start higher, maybe thx which is 80hz so that the sub is taking most of the lower freqency responsiblities. These are the basics, and is a good starting point, you will learn more as you try these diff approaches as you will hear the difference immediately with the phase portion, gain as well, the trickier one is the crossover points as that will take a bit more time and experimenting to hear where the best blend is. Good Luck. Dave

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1467
david knows, Tim.
Went through a bunch of placement issues a while ago.
Walk him through Davidpa?

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 132
my issue was two subs, one was pretty simple. I think its the wording and or settings hes struggling with, should be a quick fix.

Username: Tim9096

Maumee, Ohio USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the held David. You ansered all questions that I had.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us