Looking For Some Help Choosing Music

Silver Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 111
In a previous life (at least it seems like it) my routine was pretty much get up in the morning, go to work, come home, get high (just pot for the most part), listen to music, go to bed, get up, go to work etc. etc. Well when I removed the get high step I also removed the listen to music because it just didn't sound as good. I still listen to music in the car, but rarely at home and I have a very good sound system that is used primarily for movies.

Well I want to hear music that sounds good again and I can not put the get high step back in my routine. My kids are now all grown up and either married or getting married shortly, and I once tried adding back the step that made music sound good. Either the stuff is way more potent or something happened to my metabolism. I can't stand the stuff and I don't know why.

I really like 70's music and am just looking for some advice on some SACD's of DVD-A's that I might like. I also like to watch something on the screen, but can not stand the MTV etc. music videos. I enjoy watching "Stop Making Sense", but that's pretty old. Just good music w/o the TV is fine too.

I have read this board and based on what I read I think I might like Porcupine Tree "In Absentia" and Elton John "Honky Chateau". "Madman Across the Water" was always one of my favorite album's, but the CD is just good, but not surround sound and that's what I am looking for. Read somewhere that "Wish You Were Here" has not yet been re-released in surround. That was always one of my favorites. Others that I liked and would still like are "Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars", "Sergeant Pepper's", some of Yes' stuff, ELP, Bruce Spingstein. Never cared for Bob Dylan though and I see where he has some things available.

Any suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 267
The "Rate your hi-rez music here" thread has many recommendations - also see the archived posts.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/68570.html

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 112
I looked at that thread and bought Queen "The Game", Elton John "Honky Chateau" and Porcupine Tree "In Absentia". Had some trouble getting the sound right and had to go out and buy some analog cables because sound would not come through the digital optical cable I was running from the DVD to the Receiver. Got most of my help on AVS Forum because I have not been able to log onto here for a couple days. What's up with that?

I also had to reset some things on my Denon DVD-1920 and my Pioneer Elite 52TX, but the sound on Honky Chateau just blew me away once I got it to work. I don't think my KEF speakers ever sounded so good. At first the music was only coming out of the right front speaker, but it's working fine now once I went to multi channel setup with analog cables and changed setting in the DVD player.

I have not yet listened to Porcupine Tree and have never heard them. Bought it totally on what I read here and on AVS Forum. I did not think Queen sounded near as good as Elton John, but I listened to Queen through the Digital Optical not the Analog, and I understand it should be better via the analog.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 550
JKW,
Sounds like you're getting everything setup correctly which, as you're discovering, makes a mountain of difference. I agree with your thoughts on 'Honky Chateau' it does sound fabulous. Another 70s disc I would highly recommend (if you like them) would be America's 'Homecoming' DVD-A. I had never owned this album before, but used to listen to a friends scratchy vinyl copy on a cheap turntable so many years ago. Hearing the DVD-A surround version, in all it's clarity, was like hearing it for the first time and yet at the same time it opened a floodgate of memories for me.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on 'In Absentia.' Porcupine Tree (or perhaps should be more aptly named The Steven Wilson Project) is an interesting band...at least to me anyway. They're only now gaining more than a cult following despite putting out music for nearly 20 years. Their earlier works remind me, in some ways, of Pink Floyd. Not so much that their music sounds directly like Floyd, just that they seem to use many of the same studio techniques as Floyd - dark lyrics, sound effects, the use of echoes, a kind of psychedelic sound...etc. If you find that you do indeed like 'In Absentia' then I think you'd also like their follow-on release - 'Deadwing.'

Please consider posting your thoughts over on the ratings thread that My Rantz referenced above.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 113
Well here is the problem with that thread. It's old and huge. I live out in the country so I have to use dial up to get to the internet and those big long threads take forever to open so I kind of stay away from them when at home. My personal opinion is to have more threads rather than having one go on for literally years. I do, on occasion, open larger threads work though.

I listened to a good portion of "In Absentia" and I'm not sure what I think. I like the surround sound, but not sure about the actual music yet. I never really liked everything that Pink Floyd did either. I really like "DSOTM", but have no desire to buy it in surround and listen to it again. It just got played to death, and I really like "Wish You Were Here" better. I have to admit I still think David Bowie "Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars" was my favorite album of all time, but again I have played it on CD to the point where I don't have much desire to listen to it right now. I'm going to listen to Queen through the analog hook up right now. I'll let you know if I notice a difference.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 114
Sorry that was the "Old Dogs New Tricks" thread that takes so long to open. The rate discs thread is not bad at all.

Username: Modul8tr

Post Number: 6
I like a lot of the Peter Gabriel SACD releases.

Particularly UP and Passion at the moment.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 115
While in the "previous life" that I started this thread with I once went to see Lou Reed in a roller skating rink near Pittsburgh. It was a makeshift stage in the middle of the floor and I was sitting on the floor with my hands on the stage. I remember it was a real weird crowd, and I was not really into Lou. Well this group came on as the opening act with this light show and blew everbody away. Phil Collins was the drummer and Peter Gabriel was the lead singer. I went out and bought an albumn by Genesis the next day. It's ONE of my favorite rock conert stories. Then next day I hardly even remembered seeing Lou.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us