Floor speakers under $500

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 517
I started this thread for a newbie looking for good floorstanding speakers under $500, or advise to stick with bookshelves in that price range.

my advise for tower speakers in that price range are :

Paradigm esprits

they are roughly $430, and are amazing speakers for that price. You will be hard pressed to find a better pair of tower speakers at that price point. You can go to best buy or circuit city and find comparable speakers that look more impressive, but I doubt that they sound better.

Here is a review.

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/paradigm_esprit_v3.htm

the newer esprits have been updated for even better sound than the model in this review. They are currently $430 I believe

Anonymous

I think there are plenty of fans of Athena's products around that would vouch for their floorstander in that price bracket.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5446
Let's stick to floorstanding to narrow it down further:

Athena ASF series

Wharfedale 8.2 Diamond

Karin K
Unregistered guest
How do these compare to the Mission m34i (if they ever come back on Amazon)?

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 348
The Athena AS-F1 will give you nice full range sound with good dynamics for pop & rock music at a very low price but realize that this speaker is "down engineered" from the AS-F2. When they eliminated one woofer they also reduced lower midrange/upper bass reinforcement. Voices lack fullness...a trade off for the low price. The AS-F2 is THE star performer of the Audition line at $600 for a pair as opposed to less than $400 a pair for the AS-F1s.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1259
If price point is important, and not wanting to provoke John Wagner, the SDAT's were reviewed quite fovorably by Tbomb.
And he knows his stuff.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1260
I joked about them, but I have read other good reviews as well.
Maybe, sometimes good things come in small packages...or white vans.
Just tossing that in, Gavin, no listening have I done.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 553
thanks nuck!

someone that admits that they might be good but also admits they have never heard them... its about time!

lol

Bronze Member
Username: Tommy_jenkins

Tallahasse, FL

Post Number: 15
"The AS-F2 is THE star performer of the Audition line at $600 for a pair as opposed to less than $400 a pair for the AS-F1s."

??? The F2s are $400 shipped:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHASF2%2E2&product_name =F2%2E2%20Speakers%20Black,%20Pair

Gold Member

Post Number: 5685
An excellent deal!

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 349
WOW! That's a GREAT deal!
I paid $139 each for the AS-F1s (series one) on closeout. Paid $600 for the pair of AS-F2s at Best Buy in 2004.

Username: Dfantom32

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 9
Excuse me guys I've notice this thread and it seems that it kinda relate to me...hehehe :-) what I meant is that the speakers that your talking about is pretty decent for the newbies person like me. :D:-) Anyway, if you think that those speakers that your recommending is good (for newbies) probably I better check those one...because I've been trying to get a new set of speakers for music and movies but I'm having a hard time to figure or choose which one I want. The more research and testing(listen) on speakers the more complicated or let say a difficulty to decide on which speaker i need to get. Everytime I check the local store I always end up checking a good and expensive floorstand speaker like Tannoy, JMlab B&W, NHT & Dynaudio. Well, I'm kind of curious about the speakers that your talking about...which one is better to get AS-F2 or Paradigm Esprits? Probably I better go with either one of those speaker.
Sorry to interrupt with you guys here probably i need to create a new thread on my situation huh?
Thanks!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 572
I myself like the Paradigm esprits better than the athenas.

HOWEVER, it all comes down to personal preference. My advice to you is to hunt down a paradigm dealer and take a listen!

Bring your own material and see if you like what you hear. They make models that fit all budgets, so my advice would be to listen to the esprits, and the monitor 7's (my favorite tower in the monitor series) and see if you can tell the difference. If you can, and REALLY appriciate the difference from the more expensive speaker, then there is your answer :-)

The Paradigm monitor 7's go for around $750, while the esprits go for around $430

But, there are MANY speaker companies within this price bracket! (400-700)

Paradigm
Athena
Klipsch
Wharfedale
Ascend Acoustics
Onix
axiom
alegria acoustics

those are just a few that I pulled off the top of my head.

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 10
ok I will check some local stores that carry's Paradigm and also 1 more thing obviously its a ridiculous question but I need to ask anyway, does it make a difference where the speakers going to test? What I meant is base from the two speakers that I check, B&W 604 tested in a 17*10*9 room with acoustic stuff while the JMLab Cobalt 826 tested in a lobby room with 25*30*15 room with no acoustics then it went out good(for me) is JMLab, the price on this is $2700 while B&W is $1400...hmmm drive me crazy...well, I will try those brands specially the Paradigm Speaker. If I get a Paradigm what receiver (5.1 or higher) you can recommend.
Thanks Gavin for your time!
:-)

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 578
actually yes it does matter, believe it or not!

in a treated room, you are hearing the speakers under optimum conditions.Very few people have rooms that are optimal for music listening, and most have to have rooms BUILT for such a purpose, and still they need to be treated.

In the lobby, you probably heard the speakers properly placed, with minimal treatments (sofa, table, carpet, maybe a few plants here and there which can act as diffusers).

This is the way I like to audition speakers, because it makes me feel more comfortable in the listening room because the acoustic treatments are not as obvious. To me, the sound is more natural TO MY EARS. Sound is all subjective, so what sounds good to me, and works for the speakers that I prefer, may not work for you.

for the recievers, I would reccomend taking a look at Pioneer Elite, as well as Integra.

Pioneer Elite is Pioneer's higher end line, and their recievers sound like an amp and preamp combo costing quite a bit more. Their recievers start at around $750 for a 7.1 reciever.

Integra is Onkyo's higher end line, and is MUCH better than their run of the mill line than you would see at BB or CC. Many Paradigm dealers carry Integra, so you will be able to demo Integra against the standard onkyo reciever line. These start at $600 for a 5.1 reciever. They also have 7.1 recievers as well.

Bronze Member

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 11
Wow, nice information Gavin on this...I really appreciated and of course with some info from Berny also as well... at least I know where to go now honestly speaking I'm very anxious and excited to upgrade my HTIB Kenwood( 4 yrs old).

Thanks so much for your time again!

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 758
"alegria acoustics "

I don't want to sound unappreciative but it's
Alegria Audio.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 587
sorry tim... my bad

I didn't notice that when I submitted that

Username: Lostboy500

Post Number: 2
Athena AFS2.2 same as the AFS2? How would these compare to paradigm monitor 7's...I know they are difference price points (400 vs. 750 for the paradigm) Just wanted some opinions, thx

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 591
some people say they are comparable... I myself prefer the paradigms so I am going to stay out of this one... :-)

you may also want to throw in the Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE, which is priced at $668 per pair with the matching stands thrown in. I havent personally heard this speaker, but there are a handful of people on this board that love it.

Eddie is usually floating around here somewhere, he has a pair of these and swears by them. They are rumored to compete nicely with Paradigms reference series, which is a series above the monitors.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2758
"They are rumored to compete nicely with Paradigms reference series, which is a series above the monitors."

Which frankly I don't buy. I read a review where they didn't even edge out the Paradigm Esprit which is in the series below the Monitors. Wishful thinking...nothing more.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5816
I've heard both and prefer the overall construction of the Paradigm. Soundwise...tough call.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5817
I've heard both and prefer the overall construction of the Paradigm. Soundwise...tough call.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 351
The AS-F2 is the first series. The AS-F2.2 is the second series introduced last year. They made some cosmetic changes and reduced the weight for shipping purposes. I have the series one driven by a 120Wpc Nad C370 integrated amp.

These Athenas, with their two eight inch woofers will give you a larger, brighter and more authoritative and exciting sound than the Monitor 7 (two six and a half inch woofers). The Monitor 7 can't deliver the same dynamic impact. The Athenas remain clear and detailed even at loud levels and retain clarity and tonal balance at low levels too. Bass is clean and tight with great slam. Highs sparkle. I listen to rock and pop. For other types of music it's your call.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 352
....The construction of the first series Athenas is very solid. Fit and Finish is excellent.

milagro
Unregistered guest
No, many people have compared the Ascends against the Paradigm Refs and preferred the Ascends. Just one unscientific example:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=591331&page=1&p p=30

milagro
Unregistered guest
btw, go directly to post #153 and 156 from the AVS thread I linked to.

Bronze Member
Username: Tdogroeder

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 74
Energy RC-30's
http://www.hometheaterbythesea.com/Energy-Reference-Connoisseur-RC-30-Towers-eac h-P16001C1011.aspx

Canton LE170's http://www.canton.de/index.php?pg_id=14,30,le170 No pic on the hometheaterbysea site.
http://www.hometheaterbythesea.com/Canton-LE-170-Tower-each-P9600C1168.aspx
Canton LE190's http://www.hometheaterbythesea.com/Canton-LE-190-Tower-each-P9599C1168.aspx

KEF Q5's & Q7's http://www.hometheaterbythesea.com/KEF-C1176.aspxhttp://www.hometheaterbythesea. com/KEF-C1176.aspx

Polk Audio Monitor 70's
http://www.brand-electronics.com/products/?product=35626

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 353
Oh Yeah! Energy! Same parent company as Athena.

www.energy-speakers.com

Bronze Member
Username: Mnr3

Post Number: 23
tdog,
you should be aware that many internet dealers, including the one you cite, are not "authorized dealers" of much of the gear they sell, meaning that the manufacturer will not honor the factory warranty; the internet dealers will often have their own form of warranty, like one year, instead of the 5 you will often see on speakers. you save money up front, and if nothing goes wrong, you are fine, but buyer beware (do an "unauthorized dealer warning" search or see the various manufactur's web sites). and of course it is nice to support the local stores who have to compete against the big box, no service, generally inferior gear joints locally and the internet guys. you might be able to get a 10-15% discount from a local dealer though. just thought you should know

milagro
Unregistered guest
nice deal on the Energy C-3s though of course the are not towers:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ENERC3B&product_name=Con noisseur%20C-3%20Bookshelf%20Speakers%20-%20Black%20Ash%20Pair

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 354
I recently purchased a pair of C-3s on Ebay for $229, of course with no warranty. They are excellent...crisp, clear and detailed with very natural voices. (Actually revealed the vocal deficiencies of my Athena AS-F1s in a side-by-side comparison) For me, they need a sub. I'll mate them with an Allegia TOM sub in the future.

Bronze Member

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 12
milagro - what a nice link you got there..but I'm not sure if I have a guts to do that in local stores here...hmmm :-) Oh man I wish i have that kind of senses when it comes to music...
Anyway, that one is a big info ... thanks for that!!! Now I need to hunt some good speakers and receiver..!!! hehehe :-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2765
Looks like a great deal on the Energy speakers. I really feel that they are underrated. Milagro, you appear to have much to contribute. Please register and join us.

milagro
Unregistered guest
thanks Art. One of these days...

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 593
it all boils down to a personal preference... but we try to stick with what we are familiar with, and not pollute others with information that we know only as hearsay. And if we do, we try to explicitly state it.

Anonymous

hey u guys aint heard nothin my stereo shattered a window in my house

blow u ears
Unregistered guest
hey if u guys are looking for great speakers pawn shops and flea markets sometimes have what u are lookin for. for cheap i got a pair of 18 inch pioneers for 20 bucks i made a new box for them and the bass is outstanding

blow u ears
Unregistered guest
hey if u guys are looking for great speakers pawn shops and flea markets sometimes have what u are lookin for. for cheap i got a pair of 18 inch pioneers for 20 bucks i made a new box for them and the bass is outstanding

Bronze Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 54
i cant stand when people post anonymous

jus tells there liars

well mabe not, with the music anything could happen

Karin K
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know the Mission m73i speakers?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 712
they are bright and boomy...

perfect boom and sizzle speakers IMHO

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 720
could also be the room I heard them in, because I happen to be in the minority on this one...

the room happened to be a bright room to begin with, with lousy acoustics.

Bronze Member

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 30
excuse me gavin just wondering if you know if there's a big difference on monitor 7's and studio 60's...'coz i check on those two but too bad for me in a different stores with different receiver also. Monitor 7 setup with Integra dtr 6.4 while studio 60 setup with pioneer elite 72txv and arcom (dont know the model) :-( and its kind of hard to tell which one is better..not sure but probably studio 60's is better (bass & treble). The price is way different monitor 7's is $719/pr while studio 60's is $1700/pr so just wondering what's the advantage with each other. Thanks for your info.:-):-):-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2832
"excuse me gavin just wondering if you know if there's a big difference on monitor 7's and studio 60's..."

Sorry, I'm not Gavin but I will answer. There is a huge difference between the 60's and the 7's. The Studio 60's do everything better than the 7's. The limitations that you experienced were those of the receivers not the speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 983
"excuse me gavin just wondering if you know if there's a big difference on monitor 7's and studio 60's..."

I'm not Gavin either, but their's a huge difference between them. Their's not a single thing the Monitors do that the Studios don't do at least 10 times better. If they didn't sound much different (they were in different stores), the electronics and/or the room were at fault. They aren't $1000 more for nothing.

adrian c.
Unregistered guest
oic...thanks guys for your input...well, what receiver would you recommend on studio 60's? :-)

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 750
I agree as well...

I would take the studios over the monitors ANY DAY! They are simply much better sounding speakers.

and,

I would not reccomend driving the studio 60's with a reciever. they demand too much of the electronics in front of them. As a minimum, you MAY be able to get away with the outlaw stereo reciever, but I haven't heard this combo.

I myself would go the route of good seperates. I use rotel.

Bronze Member

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 31
Gavin,

Really..?!?! So you think it wont work well or let say I wont get what I expected from the 60's if i'll going to use a receiver only? hmmm... SOrry for my nonsense question but how about Marantz 8500 receiver do you think it wont work well? Or I need to save more money and go for seperates?:-)
What Rotel model your using? rsx-1056?

Bronze Member

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 32
Also the salesguy from the store that i checked with monitor 7's said to me that 7's is better than 9's is this true?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 761
yes, the 7 IS a better speaker than the 9. The bass is tighter in the 7, and nowhere as boomy. The mids are quite a bit smoother as well, with the crossover being more out of the way in the 7 than in the 9.

the only recievers that I would reccomend driving the studio towers with are:

rotel
b&k
outlaw (possibly)
McIntosh

all of these are respected mid to high end companies that push as much current as a decent pair of seperates. Onkyo, Marantz, Denon, etc. etc. need not apply. They simply do not have the juice to do the job.

Bronze Member

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 35
thanks a bunch for your reply gavin...at least i know that the salesguy is not telling me lies...hehehe :-) Now my decision making is a lot more easier than before...:-)
Thanks Again..!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us