Mac and Thiel does it match?

Username: Chuttt

Post Number: 3
Anyone have chance own/listen to that? I have a Mac MC2105 and have a chance for a pair of Thiel CS2. Not sure if I can audition that combo cause both things are so heavy.... heard a lot about Thiel being power hungry so not sure if 105wpc will do....

Any comment appreciated. thanks !

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

Orlando, Florida USA

Post Number: 1287
chutt,

A Mac is a Mac! It will provide great, clean, honest power to ANY speaker you want to pair it with. I think in this case, it's more about the speaker than the amp. Have you heard the Thiel's? Go out and give a listen.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7393

You don't give us much to go on if we are to provide an answer that is meaningful. Will 105 watts of McIntosh amplifier driver a Thiel CS2 speaker? Surely! How loud and with what sort of music? You give us no clues. How are we to answer your question? Possibly by stating that higher wattage is not what would benefit you the most. The Mac is capable of the wattage and, for the most part, the amperage, the Thiels would prefer.

What is of value to you in music reproduction? If you are looking at the frequency balance of the components only, the Mac is warm and the Thiels cool. To some people that makes for a balanced system. To others it indicates two different personalities that are going to fight each other for the duration.

If we are talking the original CS 2, it is unlike most Thiels. It was also quickly replaced in the line by the CS 2.2. Both speakers are much warmer that anything Thiel has produced since. There is little of the high frequency behaviour that can make Thiels all but unlistenable for some people. For my taste in music, the combination of a 2105 and CS2's would be a passing grade of "B". Depending on what you are coming from in speakers, and assuming your tastes to be exactly like mine (unlikely at best), that may be all you require.

Username: Chuttt

Post Number: 4
Thanks Jan. And sorry folks, I'm new here and will definitely provide more info. in all my future posting.

I'm about 30% Jazz and 70% Classical and that's it. Nothing loud. Yes the Mac is warm and I only have a pair of Polk LSi9 for now so that's why I'm looking. BTW, all of the pairs I've had before are bookshelf and I never really own any floorstand.... what should I expect? Thanks again.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7396

I have to beg off another answer as I am not able to predict what you will be listening for when the Thiels arrive. I would suggest you read the reviews of the CS 2/2.2. They should tell you everything you need to prepare for.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 353
I've auditioned various Thiel models several times in different stores and set ups. My opnion of the speaker line in general, and the series 2 in partilcular, is that the fiddle factor as far as matching components, placement is very high, and the loss in performance of any one of several factors degrades the result moreso than the same scenario with other speaker options.

My opnion- its tough to get Thiels to sound excellent--and getting there requires a lot of effort. McIntosh amplification is excellent.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7399

As a rule, Thiels are finicky speakers. The CS 2/2.2 series was less than terrible in this respect. Depending on what values you are trying to wring out of the Thiels you shoudn't count on these speakers being a Plop and Play. As with most Thiels, you should begin with the speakers well away from walls (a one third into the room placement often does well with Thiels) and no toe in. Spikes are highly recommended.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us