Paradigm vs. Acoustic Research

Anonymous

I have a set of AR S-20's that i used to use for the back 2 speakers in my 7.1 setup. I've moved into a house where 7.1 is impossible, so i'm just using my Paradigm mini monitors as my rears. I was bored tonight and put the paradigms up front and then my AR's up front. i was really surprised to hear that the Paradigms were MUCH better. I expected them to be better, but i couldnt' beleive how much better. I have a custom built set up fronts that use Peerless components and i recently found out AR uses peerless components so i was excited so i could match my fronts and rears. Turns out the ARs are going back into the closet and i want a set of Paradigm floorstanding speakers! what do u recommend in a $1000 price range?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2618
If you want ot Timbre match your Mini's the Monitor 7's would work just fine and save you some dough. The Monitor series center channel is the CC370. For $800 the Studio 20 bookshelf speaker sounds better than any of the Monitor series by a wide margin.

Bronze Member
Username: Patriots_fan

Post Number: 25
I agree with Art. I have Monitor 7's with a CC-370 center channel and I think they are great for the money.

Anonymous

I am trying to put together a system, mostly for music, but still have a surround sound capability. So far I have Studio20v3 for fronts and Atoms for rears (size is important to my wife -- Ok I asked for it, give me the jokes). Do you think I can get away with the CC370 rather than the larger 470 for a center?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2620
You can. It won't sound quite as good but it won't be terrible.

Bronze Member
Username: Jorge59

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 69
With $1000, I'd buy 3 Ascend CMT-340SE for the LCR channels. Keep anything you already have for surrounds.

Think about it!

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 780
Jorge,

I own Ascend speakers but I find it interesting that you would recommend the 340SEs when no one has received them yet and we don't know what they sound like.

Yes, I trust that Dave has done another outstanding job on these speakers and the 170SEs but I'm planning on waiting to see and hear what others are saying before I decide whether to upgrade or keep my current 170s and 340C and spend the additional money towards a good pair of speakers for 2 channel listening.

So, "Think about it!"

And consider whether a blind recommendation is really a good idea for someone who's trying to find an inexpensive way of upgrading his current system. BTW, I've heard the Studio 40s and 100s and they are very good speakers so I wouldn't discourage anyone from going in that direction if they've heard them and like them. Dave.

Bronze Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 98
Or just make it easy, google "speakers" and select 1st choice, that way you wont have to shop around. Jorge, Ive got a great pair of speakers....I promise, want em? Dakulis, your on the money, Im amazed at how many recommendations are made w/o an audition, could it be........................sales reps?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1016
Wagner-White-van-type-o'-thing?

Anyone (who has hearing better than mine)and recommends these SDAT's is either a salesman or...
A duck, waddling, quacking, swimming.
Geez, your right David.

But beyond the poooop, sometimes people come here to get ideas on what to see first, to avoid the onslaught of products at a big store(regardless of the store).
I don't find that wrong, but most of the better responses finish with'go and listen'.
While being informed is a good start, and dont listen to 10 speaker sets in one day, I say. Not like shopping for a car, where pictures are a good reminder of what the car looks like.
I like the red one, and Helen says 'shut up Nuck'
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us