Proper setting for cd playback in 5.1 Mode?

Username: Joejiz

Post Number: 1
Hi I have a kenwood 500w model VR506 which supports 5.1 stereo sound.

I have a Toshiba DVD player which has the digital coaxial audio line out hooked into digital DVD 6 channel IN on my amp.

My question is this:

I want to play a CD through my stereo using the toshiba but I don't know what setting to use so it sounds good???

I don't like DSP ( theater / stadium etc which actually uses all 5 speakers ) and the "3 stereo or Stereo mode" will only power the front.

There is no 4 speaker mode.

The closest I can get is dolby prologic but the rear speaker sound is low.

I'm at a lost. All the speaker wire is setup correctly as DVD playback of MOVIES is absolutely perfect. The amp shows all speakers activiated in this mode.

What is the norm for playback of music (cd) using the dvd player?

Bronze Member
Username: Nadz

California

Post Number: 25
Norm plaback for CD's is stereo. It's the most accurate way to listen to music. Especially when eveything is set up properly.

Now if you want to listen to music insurround and the CD is not encoded with it. You will need to use one of the simulated surround modes that sounds good to you. Such as Dolby Pro Logic 2 - Music.

If it happens to be a music DVD with a 5.1 track then you can use Dolby Digital or DTS. Whichever is encoded on the disc. Check the language section for all formats on the DVD.

Hope this helps.

Username: Joejiz

Post Number: 2
So stereo setting for me is ... FR / FL and [sw]Sub Woofer

My amp doesn't have dolby pro logic version II - music.

Thanks.

I guess I'm stuck with choosing a DSP setting such as stadium or use the "stereo" setting.

Darn!
Thanks for your reply Nadz!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us