Boomy Paradigm Monitor 7's

cawley
Unregistered guest
Not sure what all the fuss is on these speakers, but I found them to be harsh and boomy. Is it possible to get a floorstander that images well without being blown away by too much bass, of do I have to go to a good bookshelf model? Willing to spend up to $1,000 for a pair of speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3477
Get a good pair of bookshelves and a decent sub, that way you can control just how much bass you want in your room. $1K is ample for both.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7045

Maybe you just need to deal with placement and room treatment. You not given enough information to say one way or the other so all we know is you don't like the sound of the Paradigm at this point. Quite often the speaker is not to blame for lousy sound. Sometimes it is, but, again, we don't know how you reached your conclusion. If you liked the speaker enough to buy it then there should be some hope for the sound quality. If you just heard the speaker at a dealer then you shouldn't necessarily blame the speaker.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 449
new paradigm speakers are far from harsh. They use the same tweets as the reference series line, so more than likely your dealers setup, room, or placement is to blame for the harshness.

The speakers, to my ears, have a very minute degree of boom, but not enough to be offensive.

Placement too close to the wall can turn the bass on these speakers from tuneful to terrible

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2572
The Monitor Series floorstanders need careful placement or they can indeed be boomy. I used to own the Monitor 5 for that reason, the Monitor 7 is difficult to place due it's tendency toward boominess. A better choice for speakers by Paradigm at the same price would be the Studio 20's. Better sounding in every way that is important to music.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 457
I agree with art that the studio 20's would be a much better choice if your room isnt too large. The studio 20's have halfway decent bass capabilities for a monitor. You may never miss what isnt there.

Username: Patriots_fan

Post Number: 5
I own a pair of Monitor 7's and don't find them "boomy" for my tastes. They are only $750 retail. This hardly a lot of money to spend for a pair of speakers and there are many speakers that do sound better but IMO you get more than $750 worth of quality from the Monitor 7's.

If you want something a little less boomy maybe you should look into the B @ W 600 series.

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
SDAT sb-e639d speakers www.sdatgroup.com or www.overstock.com

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 460
get real

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 935
Wagner, didn't I see your white van parked out back?

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
NO Nuck, my SDAT speakers came right to my door by a FedEx van. These SDAT sb-e639d speakers are one of the best kept secrets in all of Audio!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7087

And best kept secret for a while longer.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2581
I hope.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 765
O come on guys, they look so purdy and they have that cool removable top thingy, just like Tim's new speakers, I'm sure the build quality is about the same as Tim's too AND I bet they sound about the same too. Just look, Wagner may be right, you know, come on, just take a peek, OK? Then, I've got this here bridge I'd like to sell yas.

http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1171468

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2586
Yikes!

Username: Nabwong

Post Number: 5
http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1467194

This one looks good. Seriously though. Anyone here listened to them?

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
Najib Wong, I started to get that model but I contacted SDAT and they told me that the SB-E639D were the best sounding that they made by far! These speakers really do sound alot better than they should!

Username: Nabwong

Post Number: 6
What's your reference though?

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 825
Exactly...

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
Najib Wong, my reference speakers are Paradigm Studio 100 v.3 !

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 982
Wagner's white van out the back!
I told y'all, Wagner van!

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 983
Wagner, you are medicated.
You may be delusional.
You may be in dire need of proffesional help.
Come to Canada it's free, if you are from a poor place.
Like a trailer park.
In New Brunswick.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us