Old KEF C55 Speakers - Repair or Trash?

Anonymous

I have a pair of KEF C55 bookshelf speakers that I purchased in 1991 (?) and used for about 3 years as front channels for a home theater system. They have been stored for over 10 years and I just re-discovered them. I'm not sure what is wrong with them but when connected to my receiver, all I get is a very faint whisper from them. Just wondering if I should bother to get them repaired and if there is any possibility of getting parts. Again, no idea what is wrong and I have no skills (or desire) to attempt repair myself. I can see no physical damage to the speakers themselves.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7035

Go listen to some new speakers and consider which you would rather do. There are both better and worse speakers available when compared against what you own.

Bronze Member
Username: Mark_mcintosh

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 32
I also have an older pair of KEF 102.3's. They still work fine, but the cabinets and grills look a little rough. Any opinions on these speakers? I haven't used them in a while, but I do remember loving the sound.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7086

The 102's were/are a classic KEF speaker. BBC balanced sound and polite almost to the extreme. Detail resolution suited many listeners though tastes have changed recently. (https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/186078.html) The ability of the 102 to project life sized performers into your room was at the time and is now bettered by some loudspeakers. The KEF's did not benefit from the side to side driver balancing that the best speakers of the day used to their advantage. TIt's a minor point for many listeners. The older KEF's will perform nicely if you still enjoy their sound quality. But, as I said, tastes have changed and I would still suggest you audition a few models that are available today. Do not buy anything without an in home audition against your KEF's. Particularly in a home theater setting, the older KEF's might not offer either the volume or "pizzazz" of some newer models. On the other hand, pizzazz can be tiring after a short time if it is not done well.

Anonymous

The capacitors on the crossover can go bad, cutting sound to the driver. Might cost you 10 cents to replace.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us