New music for Christmas

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 822
My family got me Hell freezes over dvd, R30 rush
James Taylor 'Pull over' and a coupla others, including Judas Priest's geatst hits. Great to drum with!
Breaking the law is the best drum song ever.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7021

Better than "In a Gada da Vida"?

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 828
Jan, my only recording of Iron Butterfly is awful.
Perhaps a 99cent investment is in order to try again.

Anybody else get Rush R30, or heard the recording?
I have issues best not shared with the gift giver. In short, it sounds awful.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2523
Yeah Nuck it sounds pretty bad. I'll keep it for the novelty but they could have done a better job with the sound. If you like U2 buy the Slane Castle DVD and prepare to be blown away.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 831
When I venture out into the masses, Art, I will get the U2. Is that Chicago?

3 time Rush concert for me as well, first at High school in 1976, with max webster.

Last time was the signals tour, stageside.

The R30 video content is as good as always, I must look up the final audio editor, and see what happened to Geddy's bass and Neils kick.
When did they become one instrument?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2524
I've found it difficult to find the U2 Slane Castle DVD but was rewarded for the search. Also their Rattle and Hum DVD is very good. I must say that although Rush didn't sound very good I think perhaps it sounded a bit better here than what you are reporting.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 834
Art, I was able to get the Rush sounding better with fronts than with the subs.
My reporting is worthy of critiquing, to be certain.

As the band I grew up with, my expectations may have been lofty, although if a listener had fewer tools than I have available, results could vary, like mileage.

In no way would I feel worthy of dissing anyone's art, Art, being without much musical merit, so to speak.

I shall endeavor to find only good in the new year, that should be a good way to kick off 06.

Even Eddie...now what's lofty? haha

Peace

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2525
Nuck, do you have any favorite performance DVD's?

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 835
I just LOVE SRV Live at Montreaux, Art.
The first disc is 1982, where the band went over like a lead zeppelin, actually being boo'ed.
A travesty!

The second, in 1985, marks a triunphant return to the scene of the crime, and a joyous, raucous time is had by all, a truly kick-butt showing from (I believe) the best guitarist of all time.

James Taylor live at the Beacon is also good, although the video is more MTV than I prefer, lots of jumping around. The sound, however, really matches my kit, and goes well with a single malt scotch.Glenfiddich.

Eric Claptons Crossroads guitar festival is Que'ed up for this afternoon, and Joe Walsh is drunk, goofy and a genius on his couple of cuts.

JJ Cale makes his usual understated appearance on this collection, and Eric all but kisses his face on stage.

Thats a few, thanks for asking.

Lemme know some of your fav's, when I go shopping this week, I am picking up a bunch to listen in 2.1.

Now I cant be sure I want to get that Rote1072, I like 2.1 so much.

Peace

Bronze Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 68
Nuck, Ive got the R30 CD as well. I honestly thought the recording was pretty good, as a matter of fact its one of the "check out this sound" CDs. Maybe check your sub settings? I found the mix for a live recording pretty good, since Im a drummer, I especially liked the ending to Neils solo, it showed his diversity, and how much he grew after taking classical,jazz lessons. Not sure what your main system consists of, but each musician definitely has his own space in this recording. Maybe this track will end up smoothing out your system? sounds like a couple tweaks are in order!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2527
Clarification, Nuck and David I've been talking about the Rush 30 DVD not the CD. Which one do you have Nuck.

Some of my favorite music DVD's are:

You guessed it!

U2 "Live at Slane Castle"
U2 "Rattle and Hum"
Boz Scaggs "Greatist Hits live"
Elvis Costello and the Imposters "Live in Memphis"
The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over"

Oh and I'll have one sans the rocks...lol !

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 838
Davidpa, I checked again.
I was listening in 2.1, and the mix, for sure is not right.
However, I opened up to 5.1 and found what they had in mind.
I think they missed the 2.1 mix and left the sub in surround.
Nonetheless, between you and Art and meself, I have a better range to figgur out.

I didn't know you were one of the beatsters, David, send along a pic of your kit!

Neils setup looks like heaven, and, as usual, he plays like no human being should be able to.
A true master, The Proffesor, is he.

Cheers!

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 839
Art, Dave, my gift was 2dvd, s and 2cd's, along with autographed guitar picks and a mail in contest for Neil Peart signed sicks.
I dont know how many variations were offered.

This one is sounding better all the time, but I need volume to really dig 5.1, and I am driving my family nuts as it is.

I forgot, in the forray, We also got The Last Waltz, which is going in this afternoon.
The opening banner says this film should be played LOUD, so another day yet, hehe.

All the best, David, answer the Q for charity over in speakers under First correct answer?

Peace

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 841
Tip a glass for Art, neat.

It's all good, man, all good.
Especially"the last waltz'

I couldn't believe a bass player from Simcoe could fit so well.

Cooking here.

Bronze Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 69
nuck, thought they were all answered. Yes Art I have the same one 2 pics, DVD, and audio cd of show as well, so....sounds like same disc. Glad to see you figured that one out nuck, you wouldve been missin the whole deal! If I do this right, follow the link, this is the last band I was in, 2 years ago, Kit is a Tama Starclassic Performer, wrong kit for music we played, but sure sounded good(I sold it, and am saving up for DW. WWW.woundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=113104 give that a shot, these were two of the songs on a demo to send to clubs for gigs.

Bronze Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 70
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=113104 hope that did it? tried minute ago and lost my post. Art, same DVD, with CD, and pics as well. Nuck, glad to see you were able to figure that out! I could see how that might have been frustrating! If that link doesnt work, google GROUNDTRIP those were two demo songs put together after 1 month of being together, sent them to local clubs for getting gigs. I had to quit year and a half ago, long story, but in another year I will be back in scene to some degree. The kit, I will try to get pics later(I sold it) is a Tama Starclassic Performer, natural birch, beautiful kit, I miss it, but Im going to save up for a DW, havent decided on which one yet, I have plenty of time. P.S Nuck, you said in 2.1 you couldnt get seperation? Look into your settings on pre, and see if you can change that, it sounds pretty damn good that way as well.

Bronze Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 73
nuck, yeah I got to the question finally, I figured you were through with it yesterday (Christmas) took me a minute for his sons band, so I cheated, and did my private eye work! Looks like I missed the one that was originally for me! Christmas with family is somewhat time consuming, as we go from home to home, delivering cheer! Hope everyone had a great Christmas by the way! Looks like at least a few of us have family that is OK with our passion for music! Especially when theyll get something they dont necessarily like! Hey Art, Kiss DVD was for nostalgia!! Growing up they were one of my favorites, I wont lie! but now, its GREAT entertainment!

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 842
Davivd i have a pic of the kit here, but better suited to another venue, I think.

In the meantime i will post on my blog, rather shoddy, but the price of admission is right.
You may have it already, exchanged with your pic's during sub-work.

Cheers!

Greatwhitena.blogspot.com

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 912
I just spun James Taylor'pull over'.
This is I think the 4th I've heard, and 2nd I own, live JT.
Does anybody else release a better live recording?
I mean, yeah its a lot of previously released stuff, but the bands he puts together, and the quality of the releases is honesly, amazing!

The SQ is reference for me, and really works well!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2556
Hey Nuck I used my gift certificate to the record store to buy Max Webster "High Class in Borrowed Shoes" on vinyl in pristine condition. Sounds pretty good. My wife and I enjoyed it.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 914
Do tell!
I am glad to shuffle off a little Canadian content to the up over, from down under.
Got Boz Scaggs live and really likeit!
Got a lot more Max, Art, send some my way!

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 916
Art, I'm calling a Mulligan on the last post, check the time on the post.

Sponsered my Glen Fiddich.

Anyway's. Im glad you like 'High Class', its really old, but grown up with music.

All the best for the New Year, Im gonna dig up sommore old vinyl, I might have doubles of Max.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2558
Happy New Year to you Nuck and to everyone!

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 922
BTW Art, Kim Mitchell fronted the band, and had a good run as a solo/live/studio guy.

His Best bandmate was a guy named Peter Fredette, unbelievable singer, bass/keyboard type guy.
'All we are' has Peter pumped

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2561
For a great sounding music DVD give a listen to the recent Cream release. Yes they appear to be ancient but they can still play and the sound is reference level.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 924
Art, I heard 'Live at the Royal Albert hall', is that the one?
Smokin' disc, Ginger Baker is spot on, along with the other guys.

Cream has always been about Ginger for me, rightly or not, I find it to be his band.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 112
Oscar Peterson Trio - Night Train
Oscar Peterson Trio + One (Clark Terry)
Django Reinhart - Nuages
Wes Montgomery - Tequila

The above are either 20 bit or 24 bit remasters from Verve or Gitanes. While the Reinhart and Montgomery are enjoyable albums, the two Peterson Trio discs are brilliant. All have excellent sound quality, especially since they are 50's to 60's recordings.

Buddy Guy - Bring 'Em In (very good)
Duke Robillard - Blue Mood (okay)
B B King & Friends - 80 (good)
Chris Rea - Blue Jukebox (great)
Chris Rea - Blue Guitars (11CD + 1DVD set) still awaiting delivery from Amazon UK.
Neill Young - Silver & Gold (so so - from the cheapie bin)
Rolling Stones - Bigger Bang (Typical Stones)

Note: not a hi-res disc in sight.

Will be remedying that soon.

Happy New Year all.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 925
Thanks, MR!

I'm packing up old vinyl for shipping.
Max Webster for Art, a bunch of stuff probably never heard, local stuff.

Max Blockheads
A million vacations
Mutiny up my sleeve
Universal Juveniles(the last release)

along with some early Kim Mitchell stuff.

If anything gets circulated within the forum, I would be very happy to see the response.
How about a vinyl lender going on?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2565
I had the privelege of seeing Oscar last year at Jazz Alley in Seattle. Had an opportunity to speak with him. Very nice man. Those old OP albums are special.

Nuck, I emailed you.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 929
Oscar Peterson?
Oh man how classy can a guy get?

I met Oscar about 20 yrs ago, and all but got a lesson from the guy!
He doesn't fly the flag, but represents Canada throughout the world, one, sweet ticking note at a time.
A member of the Order of Canada, and a long time hall of famer, we are ALL better because of Oscar.
Sorry if I carry on, but Canada is sometimes thought os as just ice and Hockey(and Celin Dion).
Theres a bunch more here, and Oscar is an example of the finest stuff we have to offer.

(Sorry about Celin Dion, your problem now)

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 930
Got the mail. Art, watch the post.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 931
Got concert tickert for April, in London, Ont.
We gonna see

Willie Nelson!

If he's alive by then, gotta be good!

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 119
Nuck - where's this Canada?

:-)

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 954
MR It's between Cambodia and Cannado

And I canna do either.

Enjoy your summer, I be shovellin snow, eh?

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 766
Nuck,

Hey guys, sounds like a great Christmas and New Years. I got a couple of new Diana Krall CDs, a Michael Buble - from my son - hey, he was trying to get me something jazzy, ok?

I added a couple of Mozart CDs, a decent recording of "The Firebird Suite" and a couple of old, remasters of some Gershwin and old Americana tunes, actually pretty decent.

Also, I recieved two "classics" which are actually opera CDs and which will be exchanged for just about anything else, I cannot do opera, even if I understood Italian, I'm afraid it would just depress me more and I'd shoot myself. (No offense Jan, honest.) My mom listened to it while I was growing up, along with old style C & M, now that's a pair, but I never developed any taste for opera. Yeah, I can appreciate the incredible quality of the voices but that's it.

Anyway, it's been a great Christmas and New Years and I'm still working my way through all the new music.

Nuck, I believe Canada is the northern border of the audio desert of Spokane, correct?
Enjoy all, Dave.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 955
Hiya Dave.
Yes, Canada is the commodities rich region north of the deprived area known as area 50(no music since then).

Dave, I must cringe with appreciation, for you and your opera situation.

My mom played all sorts when I was a kid, through the cabinet stereo on 78's and 33's.

Like you, I greatly appreciate the power and grace of a great opera voice, through about half of an aria.
Too much, and besides Italian, I enough trubble with english.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us