Epos ELS-3: Non-existent low-end?

cshaggy
Unregistered guest
I'm in the market for a pair of cheap but decent speakers to hold me over for a few months until I can afford something nicer.

Anyway, I've been 'trolling the forums here and reading all the options people recommend in the sub-$400 range. Based on some of the discussion and the Robert Reina Stereophile review, I was interested in listening to a pair of the Epos ELS-3's.

I tracked down the local distributor (I'm in the Boston area), and he said he's stopped stocking the ELS-3 because everyone hates it. He says it has absolutely NO bass response. He claimed that it wasn't matter of trade-off regarding size...the bass responses was non-existent. I was a bit surprised since one of the things that really caught my interested about the ELS-3's was Reina's comment:

"Jazz fans will love the ELS-3's reproduction of well-recorded string bass."

Since there seem to be a number of fans of the ELS-3 on these boards, I thought I'd solicit opinions.

As a bit about what I'm looking for...I'm a big jazz fan, though I also delve into a good bit of classical and classic rock. Anyway, one of the things I'm looking for is good instrument separation and especially good treatment of acoustic string bass (hence my interest in Reina's comment). I like my stereo warm almost to a flaw.

Anyway, wondering if people can offer insight into the ELS-3 and whether it meets my criteria.

Thanks!

p.s. to save time, for electronics, I have a Pioneer Elite CD Player and a Technics turntable for sources. I don't have much in the way of amplification right now. I have old (early '80s) Technics separates which will probably have to do until I can upgrade.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 259
if you like your stereo warm, then you need to take a look at the Wharfedale lineup. If memory serves me correctly, they are VERY warm. At least this was the case with my sapphire 87's.

In order of warmth of the speakers that I have owned:

(most)
Wharfedale
vintage klipsch heresy
magnepan
martinlogan
paradigm
klipsch reference
klipsch synergy
(hard)

and... I hate to say this as well, but if you like your stereo warm to the point of distortion, take a look at the bose 201 and 301. I have NEVER heard a speaker that is warmer than those, even though IMHO you can do better as far as accurate sound reproduction.

Bronze Member
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 63
Ask over on the Ascend forum if someone in your area will let you listen their Ascend Acoustics 170s.

vr46go
Unregistered guest
With any speaker (especially one of this size) you have to find a trade off between mid-range clarity and low-end response. If they are placed fairly close to a wall (12 inches or less) you get decent low-end, but lose something in the middle. I listen to mostly jazz/classical and some 60's/70's rock and am very pleased with them. Paired with a good sub(s) however and they sound phenomenal (for the price). Of course everyone's tastes are different....

Also, if you have a 'bright' room they can sound awful and very painful to listen to regardless.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1244
The Els 3 goes down to 65htz,there is a lot of bass energy in this area.The Boston distribitor must be on crack,no 11 inch tall box goes down to 20htz.,and why would anyone expect it to,thats like expecting a plane to be able to go to moon ,like a space shuttle.A bass guitar does not down to 20htz,it play all instruments except for pipe organs and the bottom notes of a grand piano.You need to find you a octave chart,so will now will what instrument at what Htz is in the frequencey range.First off screw what he said,he wants to make money.Have you heard them?

Username: Nadz

Califonia

Post Number: 3
The dealer was probably making little to no money on the sale. Hence the reason he is not selling it. I could be wrong but just a guess.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3138
> The dealer was probably making little to no money on the sale. Hence the reason he is not selling it. I could be wrong but just a guess.

I tend to agree with that. For some reason many audio folks never consider that audio dealers definitely have their own economic interests at heart too.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 273
The ELS-3s are one of the best sounding speakers in the $300 range. Bass reponse for what is a smallish bookshelf is very good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us