Natural sounding speakers

Chippa
I am currently in the market for speakers and I am looking at bose 301s for the fronts and 161s for the rears. I haven't had the time to go out and look for speakers that much, I'd just stop by and check and the, supposed best, Bose speakers. I have read some pretty bad reviews about Bose. I mean, are they really that bad? What other speakers sound just as good or better than Bose for around the same price or cheaper? I like a very natural sounding speaker. I have heard about names like Paradigm, PSB, Infinity, Polk, and B&W's but I have not heard any of these. Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Anonymous
I personally have not been impressed with the Bose offerings for quite a while. I didn't like the new 301s that have an 8" woofer when I was buying my speakers (monitor audio) which have 6.5" woofer. I'd recommend going to the speaker companies web sites and finding a dealer in your area and listen. Its all about what you like to listen hear or your lifestyle (want small satellites that you can practically hide in your room). In general, bigger speakers will sould better/fuller in the same makers line. But when comparing between companies, that may not hold true. A bad design of a big speaker won't sound as good as a smaller speaker--midrange beaming, coloration, etc.

Chippa
Thanks Anon,

Are the Monitor audio speakers in the same price range as the Bose>????

Anonymous
In Monitor Audio bronze series (which I believe are in the same price range), they have the B1 (bookshelf with 5.5" woofer, a 1" tweeter), the B2 (bookshelf with 6.5" woofer, a 1" tweeter), B4 (a tower with 2x 6.5" woofer and a 1" tweeter) and the bronze centre (center channel with 2x 5.5" woofer and a 1" tweeter). The Monitor Audio are only direct speakers--they don't have the reflecting tweeter that the 301s have (and I can't remember the 161s). I believe that the Monitor Audio B2s list MSRP for $175. The B1s will be cheaper and the B4s and center will more expensive. I definately think it would be worth your time to stop by local hifi stores and listen to speakers--whichever ones you purchase. A list of dealers in the US for Monitor Audio can be found at www.monitoraudiousa.com...most all speaker companies have a list of their dealers on their web sites.

Chippa
Thanks again Anon,

Does the fact that a speaker is direct reflecting make a noticeble difference in sound?

Anonymous
Some people really like dipole speakers. The concept of using the walls to reflect ambient sound to create a fuller soundstage. I guess more speaker companies coming out with them. I believe that placement is also more crucial with dipoles than just direct radiating. If you are in a very open room like a great room, what walls are the surrounds going to use to bounce the dipole?

Everyone has their own preferences with hearing. I preferred a good direct bookshelf speakers.

Oh and just to make sure I was clear on the price of the B2...I meant $175 each.

Chippa,
what ever you do don't get bose...if you want to stay small..cosider omnisat or canton movie 10mx...check out my post B&W CDM...I'm selling my sys...email if interested...I own a home theater business in south florida..if you need anything write..any other questions..feel free to send..salehts@yahoo.com

htinnovations
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us